Combat Handguns

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can still get Black Talons, Winchester just changed the name to "Ranger SXT" to get around all the whining and B***ing from the brady bunch. Of course, in a .45, I don't have a problem using regular ol' ball ammo due to the lower velocities. I use Hydra-Shoks in my .357.

OP
&

"Mad Man" Gene

THE BIG EVIL said:
What is the best allround Pistol for combat?
Combat handguns differ in preference like cars. I agree that the best one is the one you are carrying. A combat handgun is not a combat competition gun. It rides in a secure holster, comes out with familiar ease and muscle memory and hits its aggressive target. The gun is the smaller half of the deadly weapon, the shooter is the larger half.

I carried a Glock 20 (10mm) for 16 yrs and recently changed over to a H&K USP .45. I've never been a .45 fan, that is until Speer came out with a 200 grain jhp that has a 1150 feet per second velocity. I took that H&K out of the box and fired the most accurate handgun I've yet used. Its big, but still fits my hand well. Concealment of a bigger handgun is a clothing issue easliy solved. Its reliable and hits what I point it at. It hits it hard. I like the H&K for its complete reliability in function, never a misfed round.

Opinions on calibers and guns is always a lively arguement. There are those who like big rounds (10 mm/.40 / .45), but they tend to be slow (10 mm excluded). There are those who like fast rounds (.357/.357 Sig/9mm/10mm) for the energy, but the lack of bullet mass reduces one hit stopping. I like big and fast, best of both worlds.

Latest Discussions