Canada makes good swords

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have to consider that some of the people at renaissance festivals make and sell swords for a living, so they know what they're talking about.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are a lot of people that profit handsomely out of making and selling junk.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to consider that some of the people at renaissance festivals make and sell swords for a living, so they know what they're talking about.

The world is full of used car salesmen who make a living selling junk to people who don't know any better. All that means is they know how to sell junk. It doesn't mean their junk is anything but junk.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe you might get lucky and find someone who knows what there talking about, now selling what is good completely different topic. Finding both in this type of scenario would probably be very unlikely

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've also taken classes on swords and sword use and I've talked with people who are serious sword collectors.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've talked with Daniel and I have seen him do sword demonstrations, specifically the demonstrations on the tatami mats that I mentioned earlier and I've bought some of his products. I have been involved with ARMA and I've taken classes with them. I've also done tests of my own although not on tatami mats and I don't have any videos of myself doing tests.
Anybody can have an opinion, you don't need qualifications for that. I never claimed to be an expert. All Im saying is that Im happy with the swords I've got but Im not saying everybody else should run out and buy them.

Finally, an actual answer! We truly live in an age of wonder!

Sure, anybody can have an opinion. But if you want your opinion to carry any weight and credibility, you need to actually have some form of appropriate credentials/training/experience, and actually make sense. I can certainly have an opinion on child birth. I suspect most women who have given birth might suggest that my opinion is less than credible, since I'm not an OB/GYN and male. I've only been a spectator... and I just kind of think that they may not think that qualifies me very well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
'Renaissance Faires'...I can't imagine what one looks like, 'faire' is to do/make in French and renaissance is rebirth so what on earth one does I have no idea. It sounds either commercial like 'Ye Olde English' which is awful or it's people poncing around in tights pretending to be De Medicis?

Here's one you can look at: Maryland Renaissance Festival.

Personally, they can be fun, and some of the shows and demonstrations are neat -- but it's mostly a colorful way to separate my money from my wallet.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure they are. But to think that there's any historical accuracy in them, or that you can learn anything about sword making by chatting up a few people at them... that's foolishness.

Ah... There are actually some very knowledgeable folks at some of them. Watch a guy making bows, for example, who was quite a skilled woodworker. I especially was impressed with his shaving horse (not this guy, just an example) and he was an impressively deft hand with a spoke shave. Stuff that would take me hours to do a barely acceptable job of he did in a few minutes. There are some skilled smiths. Of course, there are also plenty of folks there hawking their crap, too, who basically know enough to say "this pointy thing is a sword... unless it's a spear. I'm pretty sure it's not a fork. But I'm pretty, and look at my chest... Thank you for spending your money on this, good sir." $minnesota-renaissance-fair-preview-wenches-and-royalty.5295022.87.jpg

(My apologies to this lovely lass; she was seized solely for imagery, and may well be incredibly intelligent and deadly with a sword. I haven't a clue...)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah... There are actually some very knowledgeable folks at some of them. Watch a guy making bows, for example, who was quite a skilled woodworker. I especially was impressed with his shaving horse (not this guy, just an example) and he was an impressively deft hand with a spoke shave. Stuff that would take me hours to do a barely acceptable job of he did in a few minutes. There are some skilled smiths. Of course, there are also plenty of folks there hawking their crap, too, who basically know enough to say "this pointy thing is a sword... unless it's a spear. I'm pretty sure it's not a fork. But I'm pretty, and look at my chest... Thank you for spending your money on this, good sir."View attachment 18958

(My apologies to this lovely lass; she was seized solely for imagery, and may well be incredibly intelligent and deadly with a sword. I haven't a clue...)

I don't disagree that some of the craftspeople are skilled. I disagree that you can gain any appreciable degree of knowledge by chatting them up while they're either making something or selling something.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one you can look at: Maryland Renaissance Festival.

Personally, they can be fun, and some of the shows and demonstrations are neat -- but it's mostly a colorful way to separate my money from my wallet.

Mmm, it's more a pastiche 'Merry England' really, looking at the storyline though, the Howards are still going strong btw, it's still a rich and powerful family, the late Sir David Frost was married to a Howard. We still have meadery's and we still have people who make bows, many of our buildings are older than 'the Renassiance, though here we don't tend to call it that at all. Still I imagine it may be fun even though the history is a tad dubious actually the word that comes to mind is naff but hey each to their own lol.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mmm, it's more a pastiche 'Merry England' really, looking at the storyline though, the Howards are still going strong btw, it's still a rich and powerful family, the late Sir David Frost was married to a Howard. We still have meadery's and we still have people who make bows, many of our buildings are older than 'the Renassiance, though here we don't tend to call it that at all. Still I imagine it may be fun even though the history is a tad dubious actually the word that comes to mind is naff but hey each to their own lol.

Do you have sword makers?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The history is beyond dubious. They may have a few historical figures, and some groups try to keep more strictly period than others... but a ren faire is not like a visit to Colonial Williamsburg where they (publicly) try to research and recreate historical eras. (And, incidentally separate you from your money...)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I'm inspired to forge a good old Broadsword. Just got remember where I left the Blue Peter instructions.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I'm inspired to forge a good old Broadsword. Just got remember where I left the Blue Peter instructions.

I'll get the sticky back plastic. :cheers:

Latest Discussions