Canada makes good swords

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the first video, you can see that the blade has ripples. That's not a sign of good forging. And if you step through the video, it's seems that the sword isn't "cut in half", but simply breaks. Several inches from where your magic sword actually makes contact. Pretty worthless test.

Oh that's awkward!!

View attachment $cheap sword.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No Im not.

I do use the swords I buy but I also watch them being used in demonstrations. And as how I know what training and experience the people Im watching have, in most cases I don't. There are times when I will buy a sword from a renowned sword maker and I will see him in person do sword demonstrations, but lots of the time I watch videos where I don't know how good the person is doing the demonstration, so that's why I test the sword myself.

Well then, let's see some video. Of you, because the ones you posted don't do much to make me want to run out and buy a blade from this place.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What on earth is an 'Excalibur' sword? Some people have been watching too many films. while there was a historical King Arthur he was a 6th century CE king and his sword whether it had a name or not would have been made of iron with a bit of steel, as all Anglo-Saxon swords were.
Ashmolean Museum: Anglo-Saxon Discovery - Swords

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What on earth is an 'Excalibur' sword? Some people have been watching too many films. while there was a historical King Arthur he was a 6th century CE king and his sword whether it had a name or not would have been made of iron with a bit of steel, as all Anglo-Saxon swords were.
Ashmolean Museum: Anglo-Saxon Discovery - Swords

And you call yourself British....You didn't know....King Aurthur got it from The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that , Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why he was your king.

But then Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!”

yeah...I've seen to much Monthy Python :D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I consider a good sword is a sword that is "battle ready" another words, a sword that is functional, is good at cutting, and makes a good weapon. Not something that just looks good on the wall. When I buy a sword from a company I research the company and see if its got good reviews and I see if the company hand forges the swords or mass produces them in a factory. The Canadian company that I am talking about in this case is Darksword Armory.

And what qualifies you to assess that? Have you extensive training in a combat oriented sword system? A good fencing foil is quite different in quality and design than a good arming sword or a good katana. The qualities that make a good rapier are different than those of a cutlass or saber. Give us some idea of your qualifications to speak; are you a master swordsmith? skilled swordsman?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well then, let's see some video. Of you, because the ones you posted don't do much to make me want to run out and buy a blade from this place.

So what is your background and experience with swords?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So what is your background and experience with swords?

I'm not the one claiming to be able to tell what's good and what isn't.

But if I were, I'd point out that although it's not something I currently practice, I've made blades from small daggers to bastard swords from raw steel. I've made a few (6-8") pattern welded blades.
I would say that my understanding of the theory outstripped my physical abilities when it came to forging steel, I could never develop the perfect consistency of technique required to produce the best blades.
Of course, given the ripples in the blade shown in your YouTube examples, neither can the armoury you're defining as "good"...

There's not a lot of opportunity to train with or study European sword in the USA. I was lucky enough to spend 7 years in Europe in my younger days, and did get a chance to at least examine and handle a number of period weapons.
I've studied the training manuals of people like Agrippa, Silver, et al. Given the lack of places in the US to get period training, I fought in the SCA. Primarily rapier. I always used the Schlager, as it provided the closest replication of the handling characteristics of a period rapier. I was considered fairly skilled, and at various times won pretty much every major tourney in the Outlands and Ansteorra.

So I'm not a world renowned expert by any means, but I do have some idea what I'm talking about.

Now, you will notice that unlike you, I provide a direct answer to a direct question. Your reputation might improve if you learn to do the same...

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if I was to mention the man who I learned many of the stuff I know about swords it would probably open a whole different can of worms as he is a highly controversial person in the sword world. But, he is not the only person I've learned from. I've been to many renaissance faires as well as knife shows and I've spoken with many professional sword makers and dealers.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if I was to mention the man who I learned many of the stuff I know about swords it would probably open a whole different can of worms as he is a highly controversial person in the sword world. But, he is not the only person I've learned from. I've been to many renaissance faires as well as knife shows and I've spoken with many professional sword makers and dealers.

And once again, you dodged the question. Are you surprised that your posts aren't taken very seriously?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"Renaissance fairs'? oh good grief.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

So mention his name. Give us some evidence that you actually have an idea of what you're talking about -- because, honestly, your posts so far don't. I have a broad familiarity through study with some European swords and sword tactics, far from expert, but beyond novice. I've done a fair amount of work with several Burmese sword systems. I've done a little bit of fencing, as well. Mostly foil, a touch of epee and saber.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok ...ok.. please stop my sides hurt from laughing!!

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So mention his name. Give us some evidence that you actually have an idea of what you're talking about -- because, honestly, your posts so far don't. I have a broad familiarity through study with some European swords and sword tactics, far from expert, but beyond novice. I've done a fair amount of work with several Burmese sword systems. I've done a little bit of fencing, as well. Mostly foil, a touch of epee and saber.

His name is Daniel and he is the president of the company called AngelSword. The website for AngelSword is Angel Sword - Custom Swords, Knives and Daggers and as I said he is a highly controversial person in the sword world.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
His name is Daniel and he is the president of the company called AngelSword. The website for AngelSword is Angel Sword - Custom Swords, Knives and Daggers and as I said he is a highly controversial person in the sword world.

Oh, THAT guy, yup controversial is correct, is he still claiming that his top end blades have some sort of aura around them that people can sense?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, THAT guy, yup controversial is correct, is he still claiming that his top end blades have some sort of aura around them that people can sense?

I told you that mentioning his name would open a whole different can of worms.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I can no longer resist, I have been restarting myself ever since I read the title of this post and I can no longer

"Canada makes good swords".... You mean the entire country....wow..... I was not aware the country of Canada was in the sword making business...who knew...

ok...sorry... it had to be done.....I feel better now...