Canada makes good swords

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I can no longer resist, I have been restarting myself ever since I read the title of this post and I can no longer

"Canada makes good swords".... You mean the entire country....wow..... I was not aware the country of Canada was in the sword making business...who knew...

ok...sorry... it had to be done.....I feel better now...

YALE
makes good locks

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I meant the one particular company in Canada called Darksword Armory. I gave a wrong title to the thread.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So... Have you worked with this guy? Or just talked to him? Have you worked with anyone in the various HEMA groups like ARMA? Or just wandered around renn fests? Done anything with these blades other than your own YouTube inspired testing?

Look, Cold Steel makes a lot of solid blades. I'd trust them to hold up to quite a lot of use and abuse... but folks in the know through actual training say that some of their swords are off. Their balance isn't quite right, they don't handle quite the way they should. At the same time -- some of their stuff is great, and people equally in the know love it.

All I'm after from you right this moment is simple: some evidence that you actually have some sort of qualification to have an opinion beyond wandering around and chatting with people. I mean, I've wandered around jewelry stores -- but I couldn't give you a reliable estimate of the value of a diamond or do an appraisal. I own a house, and can do a fair bit of maintenance, from carpentry to plumbing -- but that doesn't mean I'm skilled enough to do a pre-sale home inspection or appraisal.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
His name is Daniel and he is the president of the company called AngelSword. The website for AngelSword is Angel Sword - Custom Swords, Knives and Daggers and as I said he is a highly controversial person in the sword world.

So, basically, you don't know anything about swords except what you learn from talking to Ren Faire people and a guy who claims his swords are magic.

Do you still wonder why people don't seem to take you seriously?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So... Have you worked with this guy? Or just talked to him? Have you worked with anyone in the various HEMA groups like ARMA? Or just wandered around renn fests? Done anything with these blades other than your own YouTube inspired testing?

Look, Cold Steel makes a lot of solid blades. I'd trust them to hold up to quite a lot of use and abuse... but folks in the know through actual training say that some of their swords are off. Their balance isn't quite right, they don't handle quite the way they should. At the same time -- some of their stuff is great, and people equally in the know love it.

All I'm after from you right this moment is simple: some evidence that you actually have some sort of qualification to have an opinion beyond wandering around and chatting with people. I mean, I've wandered around jewelry stores -- but I couldn't give you a reliable estimate of the value of a diamond or do an appraisal. I own a house, and can do a fair bit of maintenance, from carpentry to plumbing -- but that doesn't mean I'm skilled enough to do a pre-sale home inspection or appraisal.

I've talked with Daniel and I have seen him do sword demonstrations, specifically the demonstrations on the tatami mats that I mentioned earlier and I've bought some of his products. I have been involved with ARMA and I've taken classes with them. I've also done tests of my own although not on tatami mats and I don't have any videos of myself doing tests.
Anybody can have an opinion, you don't need qualifications for that. I never claimed to be an expert. All Im saying is that Im happy with the swords I've got but Im not saying everybody else should run out and buy them.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, basically, you don't know anything about swords except what you learn from talking to Ren Faire people and a guy who claims his swords are magic.

Do you still wonder why people don't seem to take you seriously?

I've also been to knife shows and as I stated in my previous post, I've taken classes with groups such as ARMA with people who are very knowledgeable on swords. As for Daniel saying his swords are magic, I never heard him make that claim.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pff if you ain`t taking classes with Sven S. Svensson, Viking Fighting Supreme Grandmaster and Inheritor of the Horned Helmet, then you are just wasting your time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Renaissance Faires'...I can't imagine what one looks like, 'faire' is to do/make in French and renaissance is rebirth so what on earth one does I have no idea. It sounds either commercial like 'Ye Olde English' which is awful or it's people poncing around in tights pretending to be De Medicis?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A good sword will be sharp and will cut well and have good hardness but will also be flexible and will have a blade that can easily bend. I would also want a sword that looks nice although for me that is a secondary concern. There are tests to determine if a sword is good, one of which is to try the sword on rolled up tatami mats.

Leaving off the rest of that post, the properties you're mentioning are not universal across all sword types, and "trying the sword on rolled up tatami mats" is not a test of the sword.

What I consider a good sword is a sword that is "battle ready" another words, a sword that is functional, is good at cutting, and makes a good weapon. Not something that just looks good on the wall. When I buy a sword from a company I research the company and see if its got good reviews and I see if the company hand forges the swords or mass produces them in a factory. The Canadian company that I am talking about in this case is Darksword Armory.

"Battle ready" means nothing. What does "functional" mean to you? Surely it refers to "being applicable to a function/usage", so you first need to ascertain what usage that is… "makes a good weapon"? What criteria is that? What makes a sword a good weapon? What would make it a bad one?

Reviews can mean nothing… especially if you're dealing with "hand forged" (anything that has enough consistency in models isn't really going to be "hand forged", you realise…).

I usually don't test the sword myself although sometimes I try it out and cut stuff and I do check the flexibility of the blade. Mostly I watch videos where the same kind of sword is being tested and that way I know how well it performs. This sword in particular is a limited edition Excalibur sword produced by Darksword Armory and here are videos of it being used.

What do those videos show? To my eyes, all they show is a real lack of understanding of how a sword is used… I mean, none of it was in any way "testing" the item itself…

I do know how to use a sword correctly for cutting. And yes a katana is not swung like a baseball bat, its more like casting a fishing rod. However, usually I will watch cutting demonstrations done by people who have lots of experience cutting with swords.

How do you know that you know how to use a sword correctly? Nothing here is filling me with that idea… And what type of sword? It really does make a difference...

Cutting tatami mats is a test but its not the only test.

It's not a test of the sword…

I do use the swords I buy but I also watch them being used in demonstrations. And as how I know what training and experience the people Im watching have, in most cases I don't. There are times when I will buy a sword from a renowned sword maker and I will see him in person do sword demonstrations, but lots of the time I watch videos where I don't know how good the person is doing the demonstration, so that's why I test the sword myself.

What do you use the swords for?

Well if I was to mention the man who I learned many of the stuff I know about swords it would probably open a whole different can of worms as he is a highly controversial person in the sword world. But, he is not the only person I've learned from. I've been to many renaissance faires as well as knife shows and I've spoken with many professional sword makers and dealers.

So you're saying that you've learned most of your stuff from someone who most would consider controversial (to say the least)… and you're unsure why you're being called out on what you actually know?

I've talked with Daniel and I have seen him do sword demonstrations, specifically the demonstrations on the tatami mats that I mentioned earlier and I've bought some of his products. I have been involved with ARMA and I've taken classes with them. I've also done tests of my own although not on tatami mats and I don't have any videos of myself doing tests.
Anybody can have an opinion, you don't need qualifications for that. I never claimed to be an expert. All Im saying is that Im happy with the swords I've got but Im not saying everybody else should run out and buy them.

What tests have you done? What have they tested? How have you ascertained their performance?

And no, you don't need qualifications to have an opinion… but you do if you are wanting your opinion to carry the weight of expertise and knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Pff if you ain`t taking classes with Sven S. Svensson, Viking Fighting Supreme Grandmaster and Inheritor of the Horned Helmet, then you are just wasting your time.

You mean this guy

viking_warrior-765290.jpg

Yup, he's awesome.... but for some reason many of his students never finish the training...or for that matter ever seen again

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Battle ready" means nothing. What does "functional" mean to you? Surely it refers to "being applicable to a function/usage", so you first need to ascertain what usage that is… "makes a good weapon"? What criteria is that? What makes a sword a good weapon? What would make it a bad one?It's not a test of the sword…

I've stated earlier in this thread what I look for a sword and what my criteria for buying a sword is, so what do you consider a good sword? What do you look for?

What do those videos show? To my eyes, all they show is a real lack of understanding of how a sword is used… I mean, none of it was in any way "testing" the item itself…

Well then, how is a sword used? What is a good test of a sword?

How do you know that you know how to use a sword correctly? Nothing here is filling me with that idea… And what type of sword? It really does make a difference...

I've taken lessons in kendo, iaido, and kenjutsu, sometimes with a live blade. I've also taken classes with this organization called ARMA (Association for Renaissance Martial Arts), an organization on european medievel sword fighting and yes, a katana is used very differently than a european longsword. Now, might I ask what's your background on this stuff?

What do you use the swords for?

Right now I use them mostly as wall pieces although I want them to also work effectively as weapons should the need arise. For training and drills I mostly use wooden practice swords.

So you're saying that you've learned most of your stuff from someone who most would consider controversial (to say the least)… and you're unsure why you're being called out on what you actually know?

He is not the only person I've learned stuff about swords from. As I said before I've spoken to many people who make and sell swords for a living, and I've taken lessons as I mentioned above.

And no, you don't need qualifications to have an opinion… but you do if you are wanting your opinion to carry the weight of expertise and knowledge.

For my opinion to carry such weight in this case doesn't matter to me. I like the swords I've got. Im not saying everybody else has to agree on that or that they should buy them.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my opinion to carry such weight in this case doesn't matter to me. I like the swords I've got. Im not saying everybody else has to agree on that or that they should buy them.

Then why don't you preface your posts and threads with 'I think'? You make blanket statements instead of indicating that it's your opinion. there's various phrases you can use 'In my opinion', 'I believe', 'I find' 'I think', then it's a basis for discussion instead of you making a statement that something is true and us having to say well no it's not.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then why don't you preface your posts and threads with 'I think'? You make blanket statements instead of indicating that it's your opinion. there's various phrases you can use 'In my opinion', 'I believe', 'I find' 'I think', then it's a basis for discussion instead of you making a statement that something is true and us having to say well no it's not.

Then I should make my posts like that, I stand corrected.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is also a big difference between being happy with an item, and the item being good.

A hiker friend of mine was coming up to meet me for a hike on Saturday. When she was more than halfway up to the meeting point, she realized she forgot her trekking poles. She drove by a Wal-Mart just as it opened at 6am and picked up a pair for about $25. My friend was going on a multi-day backpacking trip and wouldn't be down until Monday. But I was just joining her for the first peak so it was only a day trip for me. We agreed to swap. I gave her my $100 Komperdell poles, and took her cheapo poles.

Was I happy with the cheap Wal-Mart poles? Absolutely.

-- Using them meant my friend had the better poles for a more rigorous trip, and had a better chance of completing it safely. That gives me more peace of mind.
-- The cheap poles were beastly heavy and had a shock absorbing mechanism -- neither are attributes I care for. But that gave my arms an extra workout on a hike where such a thing was not unreasonable.

The cheap poles are certainly better than nothing. They are a great value for $25. And because she bought them, that meant we could swap poles and neither one of us had to worry about trekking without them. Considering Wal-Mart was the only place open in rural NH at that hour, it was a sound purchase.

So, yes, I was happy and so was she.

But are they good poles? No. Absolutely not.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup, he's awesome.... but for some reason many of his students never finish the training...or for that matter ever seen again

No shame in going to Valhalla, especially if sent by the hands of Master Sven himself.

And then there are the Valkyries..
valkyrie.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think renn festivals are great fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think renn festivals are great fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure they are. But to think that there's any historical accuracy in them, or that you can learn anything about sword making by chatting up a few people at them... that's foolishness.

Latest Discussions