Can a martial art kills?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't teach it, but it can help explain to those who aren't really thinking about it right.

Well maybe they are in condition white and need to learn how to achieve condition red. That way they are in the correct mind set to punch with decent technique.

{Nah. I still think this method is balls)

Even the fairly tragic threat assessment tools that you use in the work place are infinitely better.

And they are not exactly designed for geniuses.)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well maybe they are in condition white and need to learn how to achieve condition red. That way they are in the correct mind set to punch with decent technique.

{Nah. I still think this method is balls)

Even the fairly tragic threat assessment tools that you use in the work place are infinitely better.

And they are not exactly designed for geniuses.)
I just use what works for the folks I train. Your mileage may vary - and I'm certainly not the right instructor for every student.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just use what works for the folks I train. Your mileage may vary - and I'm certainly not the right instructor for every student.

You probably won't know if color codes work though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably won't know if color codes work though.
It works in helping them understand and discuss the concept - that's all it's for. The codes don't actually change their ability, because they're not something you use actively. You're not going to go around saying in your head:

"On the street. Quiet area. Yellow"
"Subway. Some sketchy folks wandering around. Orange!"
"Back home, all clear. White."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It works in helping them understand and discuss the concept - that's all it's for. The codes don't actually change their ability, because they're not something you use actively. You're not going to go around saying in your head:

"On the street. Quiet area. Yellow"
"Subway. Some sketchy folks wandering around. Orange!"
"Back home, all clear. White."

Is there a tool set attached to these codes? Or is it just some vague alertness level.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a tool set attached to these codes? Or is it just some vague alertness level.
I'm not aware of anything specific to those tools. I use the codes to talk about the transitions from one set of tools to the next, as I would teach them. So, when I'm discussing general awareness tools and tactics, that all falls under Yellow. Talking about that little voice that says something is wrong, knowing you're in a bad area, threat identification and that kind of stuff, all falls under Orange. The actual fighting stuff all falls into the transition from Orange to Red, directly from Yellow to Red, or into Red. And we sometimes talk about recovering as best you can if things go from White to Red.

So, I'm teaching the same tools I've learned and worked with - just using the color codes to facilitate discussion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not aware of anything specific to those tools. I use the codes to talk about the transitions from one set of tools to the next, as I would teach them. So, when I'm discussing general awareness tools and tactics, that all falls under Yellow. Talking about that little voice that says something is wrong, knowing you're in a bad area, threat identification and that kind of stuff, all falls under Orange. The actual fighting stuff all falls into the transition from Orange to Red, directly from Yellow to Red, or into Red. And we sometimes talk about recovering as best you can if things go from White to Red.

So, I'm teaching the same tools I've learned and worked with - just using the color codes to facilitate discussion.

Yeah. See if it was a workplace hazard training. The level of threat would come with a set of procedures to address that. You see it with fire danger for example. (Which also has color codes)

Otherwise you are confirming the obvious.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. See if it was a workplace hazard training. The level of threat would come with a set of procedures to address that. You see it with fire danger for example. (Which also has color codes)

Otherwise you are confirming the obvious.
Again, obvious to you. The questions I sometimes get tell me even those basics are not obvious to all. Nor are the tools - some of which are essentially procedures, and some are more on the order of strategy and tactics.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, I've made the assumption it's still possible. And soft training won't stop it. Whether you end it with simply maintaining distance really depends on the motive. If it's anger, just being switched on doesn't cut it as often as when someone is victim-shopping.

My point was and is that too-soft training leaves people less able to handle violence when it comes. No amount of awareness or de-escalation changes that position (it just changes how likely the violence is to come).
I don't even know if I'd go that far. The assessment of these 'SD expert' types that insist that acting tough or assertive makes you less likely to get jumped certainly doesn't match my experience.

More likely they are waiting for someone that is alone, smaller than them and when nobody is around to see. If there are multiple the first two apply less.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, I have been confronted so many times by random people as a street photographer. I don’t think any of them has martial art skill. I’m not interesting in winning a fight or putting severe damaged on the attacker. What is the reality of martial art? Since my skill is not good enough for self defense, what is the point for me taking a martial art class?
" I’m not interesting in winning a fight" Are you interested in learning how to lose a fight?
"Since my skill is not good enough for self defense, what is the point for me taking a martial art class?" Maybe so your skill level increases to the point you can use it for self defense?

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back to the OP:

If it makes you feel any better, one is only able to do about 30% of what you've trained under stress. That perfect kick or punch isn't likely to happen. If you land a punch, it could be glancing, etc. Also, one punch, one kill is nonsense. If it weren't, people would die in BKB matches all the time, but they don't.

Generally speaking, good boxers and wrestlers aren't going out and starting street fights... they're too busy training, and they don't want to risk injury for something stupid.

If you get into a situation where you have to fight, you've already made a lot of mistakes.

Enjoy your art, and be rest assured that without a lot of intense, resistant training, you're unlike to seriously harm anyone with it, even if you wanted to. A seasoned thug is much more dangerous than the average martial artist.

And yes, learn to wrestle: collegiate wrestling, judo, bjj, catch wrestling, chin na, anything like that. Otherwise you're a sitting duck if someone decides to take you down and beat you senseless. You don't have to be a submission artist; you need to be able to stay standing, and defend yourself if you end up on the ground if Plan A fails. Personally, I have found Judo to fit my needs well in that regard, and some people find it blends well with karate.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. If you haven't practiced those blows in a sparring or fighting situation your chances of hurting anyone with them are pretty remote anyway.

PS how'd you get inside the bag?
It's rare I read a comment so utterly stupid and myopic, but this one takes the biscuit.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
and what,% is 90 of all the punches throw since 2000,?

you don't know !. Data is meaningless with out context,
You should probably re read the post. The percentage is not relevant.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should probably re read the post. The percentage is not relevant.
of course it is, your just saying that as you have no idea what it might be,

is it for instance. A greater or less or risk than being hit by an asteroid

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
of course it is, your just saying that as you have no idea what it might be,

is it for instance. A greater or less or risk than being hit by an asteroid
No it isn't. Read the post. The percentage is not relevant to the discussion.

Latest Discussions