Block on your opponent's forearm from outside

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Might not be an optimal technique, but when you practice it, along with folks countering (in many ways), you become adaptable and flowing. Maybe combine that nasty block and dig your left hand in while angling off for a lock or throw OR maybe not. In the heat of battle, if you broke every move into still pictures it would probably reveal many less than perfect “techniques”. You just have to be able to flow into what is next.
So, if you didn’t have time to do the correct technique and ended up with that and your opponent bent his arm to elbow you, what would be the counter or follow up?

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, if you didn’t have time to do the correct technique and ended up with that and your opponent bent his arm to elbow you, what would be the counter or follow up?
I assume you can use the hand of your blocking arm to push his elbow striking forearm away.

1. A punches.
2. B blocks.
3. A changes punch into elbow.
4. B changes block into palm push.

It can be an interested partner drill.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because every technique has a vulnerability, the more that we discuss on it, the less that we may make mistake.

If you know that whenever your grab on your opponent's wrist, he may bend his arm, you will train how to deal with it.

Your opponent could also straighten his arm. How come you didn't mention that? How come you didn't talk about your opponent straightening his arm instead? That's quite the oversight there. You really should have mentioned your opponent straightening his arm, because what if he doesn't bend it? Huh? What then? You're not discussing him straightening his arm. Why not?

I was just trying to make a point with what I just said. I'm not actually trying to argue that you should've said it. But just to show how silly it is to call you out for something irrelevant to your post.

People edit themselves all the time, and this makes for better content. If I want to teach someone how to do a roundhouse kick, I want to start by having them do 100 roundhouse kicks the same way every class. I don't want them to worry about variations and counters. Those will come later.

It doesn't make me a horrible teacher for failing to discuss these things. It just means I've edited myself to show what I need to show based on my audience.

The videos that I've seen where someone will go down the rabbit trails that you're talking about tend to be the most unfocused, hard-to-follow videos, because it's just someone rambling about a bunch of possibilities.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Primarily Striker vs primarily wrestler?
yep. Strikers = Primary Striking and Secondary Grappling
Grapplers = Primary wrestling and Secondary Striking.

Kung Fu Wang is always seeking the House of Wrestling. I'm always seeking the House of Striking. Even if I'm grappling the end goal is to use the grappling path to lead to striking.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To kick your opponent after you have taken him down can be more effective.
This is true if your striking is only used to reach a grappling. If you don't intend your striking to be harmful then it won't be. You use strikes to enter grappling which tells me that you aren't focused on landing crippling strikes. I'm the opposite. I don't use grappling to maximize grappling. I use grappling to set up striking. Example

Ground and pound is another, example where Grappling is used to set up striking.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ground and pound is another, example where Grappling is used to set up striking.
The following on striking and ground striking are different.

1. Follow on striking - you attack your opponent on the ground while you are standing.
2. Ground striking - both of you are on the ground.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Primarily Striker vs primarily wrestler?
IMO, to take someone down is much easier than to knock him down.

You may need to generate

- 100 lb punching power to knock your opponent down.
- 50 lb force to pull your opponent's leg, and 50 lb force to push his head to take him down.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Way too high for knocking someone out. A person can get knocked out from much less.
The issue is you can't knock your opponent down 100 times daily. But you can take him down 100 times daily.

The day when you have taken your opponent down 10,000 times, and you only knock him down less than 10 times, you will have more confidence in your throwing skill than in your striking skill.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
yep. Strikers = Primary Striking and Secondary Grappling
Grapplers = Primary wrestling and Secondary Striking.

Kung Fu Wang is always seeking the House of Wrestling. I'm always seeking the House of Striking. Even if I'm grappling the end goal is to use the grappling path to lead to striking.
Ok, I’m some where in there. If I am able to do I please, I prefer to take the space my opponent occupies and make physical contact with at least two or more points (not necessarily grabbing). At the same time. If I uproot them and they fall, then great, if not, next motion. That’s as much a plan as I ever really have. I prefer to strike up close but my equal goal is to take their base. It tells me a lot of info about that opponent in a split second. If they are on their legs, if they prefer to strike, clinch, or grapple. Quite a bit is revealed just by making body to body contact.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, block the upper arm, not the forearm. Second, nobody is going to drop the elbow but an experienced fighter, and I won't have to defend myself against any of those. Third, elbow strikes like that require the person doing it to be right inside my frame, and I've got a free hand. Should resolve to a lovely uppercut to the jaw.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you have trained both the striking art and the throwing art, you will find out that it's much easier to develop your throwing skill than to develop your striking skill.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First, block the upper arm, not the forearm.
Your opponent's upper arm is farther away from you. The elbow joint should be good enough.

Second, nobody is going to drop the elbow but an experienced fighter,
Agree that to change a punch into an elbow is not a beginner level skill.

When A right punches B, if B's right arm block on A's forearm, B's left hand can push on A's right elbow to prevent A from bending his elbow. This will free B's right hand to punch back. In CMA, this is called "switch hands".

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agree that to change a punch into an elbow is not a beginner level skill.

When A right punches B, if B's right arm block on A's forearm, B's left hand can push on A's right elbow to prevent A from bending his elbow. This will free B's right hand to punch back. In CMA, this is called "switch hands".

You seem to be showing an outside block. This is fine. We might step offline, deflect an incoming right punch with the right open hand near the attacker's wrist, (or the left and then pass off to the right) then apply the left as a sword to the upper arm, not chopping but rolling while holding the wrist firmly and drawing it to the hip, rotating the opponent face-first to the ground. I hope you can visualize it from that description. It locks or hyperextends the attacker's elbow while pushing them down onto the ground. It has the advantage that since you're entirely on the right side of the attacker's body, they cannot use their left at all, nor can they kick you. If you have seized their arm properly, they can't do much except fall down. If you have not seized the arm properly, at least you do not get hit.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You seem to be showing an outside block.
The title of this thread - Block on your opponent's forearm from outside.

If you use inside block, since your opponent's elbow is pointing out, his bending elbow will not be able to hit you.

holding the wrist firmly and drawing it to the hip,
Agree that block should always followed with a grab/pull. I believe this is the major difference between TMA and boxing.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The title of this thread - Block on your opponent's forearm from outside.

If you use inside block, since your opponent's elbow is pointing out, his bending elbow will not be able to hit you.

Inside upper body block can permit the attacker to drop the elbow of the blocked arm straight down on the defender's chest if they're trained well enough. But I don't expect people to do that typically.

Defense is to block the attackers arm between their elbow and shoulder. This should also open their armpit nerve cluster to attack, among other fun things, perhaps osoto gari. The risk of an inside block is more commonly the attackers other hand of course.

Agree that block should always followed with a grab/pull. I believe this is the major difference between TMA and boxing.
One of our principles is "A person's unbalance is the same as a weight." Stealing their balance is one of life's pleasures. Grab, pull, push, trip, throw, etc.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, to take someone down is much easier than to knock him down.

You may need to generate

- 100 lb punching power to knock your opponent down.
- 50 lb force to pull your opponent's leg, and 50 lb force to push his head to take him down.
Would you agree that Baji is good for a takedown strike?

Latest Discussions