Will this freestanding heavy bag eat my floors?

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been looking at a striking bag, the Everlast Powercore Freestanding Heavy Bag. It requires 370 pounds of sand in the base of the thing. My concern is that I would be using it on a living room hardwood floor,) and I can't afford to damage the floor. If I put a rug (or other material) under it, perhaps that would protect the floor, or perhaps not. Perhaps it would
allow the bag to slide across the floor. I gave it a couple of hits and I can't understand where the energy is absorbed. The top does not seem to bend over much.

If anyone can advise, please do. Thank you.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been looking at a striking bag, the Everlast Powercore Freestanding Heavy Bag. It requires 370 pounds of sand in the base of the thing. My concern is that I would be using it on a living room hardwood floor,) and I can't afford to damage the floor. If I put a rug (or other material) under it, perhaps that would protect the floor, or perhaps not. Perhaps it would
allow the bag to slide across the floor. I gave it a couple of hits and I can't understand where the energy is absorbed. The top does not seem to bend over much.

I think you would be fine with a rug. It's not going to slide around as much with 370 pounds of weight on it.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I had a bob dummy in my house years ago and it liked to move around quite a bit, so I ended up putting it in my back yard. All the wavemasters at my old dojo liked to move too, even the XXL ones. I have yet to find one that doesn't constantly move up and down the floor after a good combo, but when I find one I'm gonna get it. The century versus looks promising but it's not intended for heavy hits more of a technique bag/ fight simulator. If I could find a century versys that could take punishment without falling over that's what I'd get. As for the Everlast it's basically the same thing as a wavemaster.

OP
Gaucho

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I suppose that a 'technique bag/ fight simulator' is a fair description of what I want, and I don't mind if I have to reposition it somewhat..

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I suppose that a 'technique bag/ fight simulator' is a fair description of what I want, and I don't mind if I have to reposition it somewhat..
Yeah the versys is only like 110lbs at the base, so it's not hard to knock over. You sound Like you would like the Everlast better. You could at least hit the Everlast with full power, same with the wavemasters.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, the bag will "walk" and scratch up the floor. I don't know whether putting area carpet will do it. It should protect the floor, but the whole thing likely "walk" as you punch.

There is NO easy way to put a heavy bag. You'd be amaze how much it vibrates.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
Seems like the hard wood floors are gonna get damaged...either from the movement of the base or the bag falling over..
maybe hanging something in the garage might be better..

or you could always set up something like this.filled with steel BBs .🤔

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any freestanding bag placed directly on your floors is going to tear them up, just like chair legs or even some high heels. Even through some padding or protection, you'll likely have trouble. How much damage will depend in part on the finish on the floor, and on the weight of the bag, and the nature of your strikes.

You might want to consider alternatives or where you could hang a bag.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

The bottom material is identical to the sides so it would definitely scratch a hardwood floor. I would try carpet with a non-slip backing or a couple interlocking square floor mats. But it is still going to move. Sand is roughly 4 pounds heavier per gallon than water. Unless you expect to turn it over, I would go with water. I have the same bag and water works fine for me. Of course, no running kicks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Th problem with the striking dummy is if you put

- water in the base, the water will leak soon or later.
- sand into the base, when the sand becomes solid rock, you can't take it out.

OP
Gaucho

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the excellent replies. I have abandoned the idea in this particular house. Other ideas will have to serve. Thanks very much.

OP
Gaucho

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ADDENDUM: - I looked briefly at heavy bag stands, but they seem to present the same problems as the freestanding bags as regards floors.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The bottom material is identical to the sides so it would definitely scratch a hardwood floor. I would try carpet with a non-slip backing or a couple interlocking square floor mats. But it is still going to move. Sand is roughly 4 pounds heavier per gallon than water. Unless you expect to turn it over, I would go with water. I have the same bag and water works fine for me. Of course, no running kicks.
Water won't work, I have both slam man and another by Chuck Norris. I literally punch them to tip over.

It is HARD to get heavy bag. Even hanging in garage, still need to reinforce the ceiling. If upstairs is living area, you will feel big vibration. I had crystals broken upstairs from the heavy bag.

I would be very careful buying wall hanging type like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All-Capa...814&sprefix=wall+mount+heavy+,aps,1138&sr=8-7

I have one in the garage, NOT to hang heavy bag, but to hang a swinging target for stick practice. But I can tell how sturdy it is. I would NOT hang a heavy bag to punch.

Bite the bullet, hand in garage, use a long plank of 2"X10" wood to bolt onto the ceiling and hang the bag on the plank of wood. The long plank that bolt onto multiple joists help to distribute the force to many joist. Don't hang on one joist.

It is hard to hang a bag.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ADDENDUM: - I looked briefly at heavy bag stands, but they seem to present the same problems as the freestanding bags as regards floors.
They do.

And I haven't found many that work all that well unless you can bolt them down to the floor. Otherwise, the amount of weight you need to put on the legs to hold it in place makes it hard to move around the bag. They're a solution in some cases but not perfect -- and best if you can really bolt them into the floor.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score

Rubber mats underneath, problem solved but links to the product in question are often helpful

Latest Discussions