Targeting biceps and forearms in a fight/sparring?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is also an old school boxing technique. Not just something from martial arts that can't work in a sports context. Most people don't train to protect their hands/arms as a target. I have punched a couple of hands and they are great targets and really open things up. (not as effective when wearing gloves).

Punching the delt/shoulder is also a great method against the philly shell.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is called gunting in philippino systems. I am pretty meh. About it.

Arm destruction.

That kind of thing.

So philippino systems is where I would look.

The issue i have is with the boxers I face i can't see their punches let alone see them and get both my hands out doing different things before I eat a dozen shots in the mush.

So I rely on angles and probabilitys
It's silly most of the time to try to target the arm during a punch and hope for any level of specific accuracy. Sometimes you can hit somewhere on the arm but that's about it. I know of a few techniques but they don't apply very well to a boxer punching at the face. A better strategy is to target the arm while it's static or guarding, instead of while it's punching. Doesn't work as well with modern boxing gloves but you see it some in the bare knuckle stuff, both old and new.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's silly most of the time to try to target the arm during a punch and hope for any level of specific accuracy. Sometimes you can hit somewhere on the arm but that's about it. I know of a few techniques but they don't apply very well to a boxer punching at the face. A better strategy is to target the arm while it's static or guarding, instead of while it's punching. Doesn't work as well with modern boxing gloves but you see it some in the bare knuckle stuff, both old and new.

Knuckle flick on the back of their hand and stuff?

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As Simon said, it is a tactic that can be used by people who train in Kyokusin to test an opponents defences. repeated strikes to the forearms will elicit a response and tell you something about the level of training of your opponent. If the forearms are poorly conditioned or not used to being struck the tendency will be to move these targets away from further strikes which opens up a whole host of good stuff (eg: against non Kyokushin folks). A well placed hook with the knuckle to a tricep can drop an arm and be quite painful but these types of strategies and tactics are not part of any Kyokushin syllabus I have ever seen . You generally see it coming from the older more wiley fighters that have been around the block and have more than just 'knockdown' experience.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Knuckle flick on the back of their hand and stuff?
Among other things.

Can't pull it off while the punch is incoming, particularly if someone knows how to punch and/or is punching at your face.

And it kinda doesn't work well against someone who knows a little bit about boxing anyway. In that case all it really does is take someone who might prefer to be a counter-puncher and turn them into a person who's aggressive and motivated to punch you in the face and has skills to back up that motivation.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is called gunting in philippino systems. I am pretty meh. About it.

Arm destruction.

That kind of thing.

So philippino systems is where I would look.

The issue i have is with the boxers I face i can't see their punches let alone see them and get both my hands out doing different things before I eat a dozen shots in the mush.

So I rely on angles and probabilitys
Yeah, I'd consider targeting a long guard arm or maybe a reaching (grabbing) before I'd try to get to a punching arm. But that'd have to be a target of opportunity. There are responses that have a higher likelihood of doing something useful.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We’ve got some stuff that is routinely targeted against the arms, hands, and associated joints. Pretty effective stuff, but it does require some targeted (pun intended) practice. The stuff hurts when you get hit with it, breaks down your guard and takes the fight out of you.

Of course it is less effective if you are wearing gloves.

Latest Discussions