Black Belt test

Darkmoon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm excited and a bit nervus to say that i'm testing for my Black belt in Modern Arnis in December. A few of my fiends said that I was ready in March, but something told me to wait. After five years to study I'll stand before Sensi Jay Spiro and say "Look what I can do! Look what you taught me!"

Any advice or encouragement from my a steamed peers and colleges?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I'm not a modern arnis practitioner I do consider myself a colleague of yours in that we're both martial artists. I just tested for my brown in aikido, a big step for me and a definite mile stone in any martial art. The best advice I can give you is to relax, breathe and let the techniques flow. I wish you the best of luck! Try this link for breathing help...http://www.shout.net/~jmh/clinic/science_of_breath/

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have already put your training time in and know your material so go for it!!
Keep practicing consistently and enjoy the process!!
Good luck!! And post photos from your test!! :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm excited and a bit nervus to say that i'm testing for my Black belt in Modern Arnis in December. A few of my fiends said that I was ready in March, but something told me to wait. After five years to study I'll stand before Sensi Jay Spiro and say "Look what I can do! Look what you taught me!"

I share the excitement and nervousness, as I'm hoping to test by the end of the year as well. :) Keep training hard and review the material as often as you can. No matter how many tests we've taken in the past, that nervous feeling always seems to sneak in. Easier said than done, I know, but do your best to stay relaxed. Breath, as theletch stated and just go with the flow. :)

Good luck!!

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Relax and go with the flow and do your thing. If you have trained hard and are ready then it will all fall into place. Good luck!
icon14.gif

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
Train hard till your test. Get a good night's sleep the night before. Be confident like a student who has done their homework and knows their stuff. Good luck.

Sensei Tom

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Darkmoon,

Two things:
1. ATTACK the test. Don't just take it. Attack it and whip it.
2. FUNCTION. Don't go out there and do your moves. Do everything for a purpose, with intent.

You'll do fine.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

ArnisHermit

White Belt
Reaction score
Remember the Black Belt is about the journey not the belt.
If you continue to train hard every day and improve then you are already half way there.

Just think of the test as a forum to show case your skill level.

Train Hard,

Mark Banez

Zen Warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
Remember to breathe and to move. Don't force anything, let it happen.

Have confidence in yourself. You are totally ready!

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world.
– Buddha

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Definately remember to breathe. Last Shodan test I attended one of the candidates was so nervous he was doing one of his forms and well....he kinda forgot that breathing is an essential part of life....once we revived him and reminded him where he was, he was more than a little embarassed.

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score

Here's my advice, just step back, take a couple of deep breathes and go do what you know how to do. After 5 years of study, you're ready and if not now? Then when? Go do your thing!

Morgan

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Darkmoon,

I am sure you have trained very hard and have stuck with this for five years it appears.

Therefore, continue to ready yourself for the test so that your actions and techniques will be automatic, crisp, and dynamic. You want to exude confidence, fluidity, and adaptability conversely with humility, shrewdness, power and accuracy.

Finally, just enjoy yourself and and be in the moment! This event is about expressing who you are and all that you have learned. And you will never forget it.

Best regards,

Palusut

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed to all the above.

Since you've got a few months, no harm in hitting the gym and working on your cardio. I upped my training during that period and split it between the dojo and the gym. Feeling really fit, and knowing that I could recover from high-cardio parts of the test, made me feel physically strong going in.

If a technique doesn't work, improvise and finish the job. Once, grading for my green belt, I grabbed another student and threw him in the path of my attackers. In fact, I do that all the time. I've picked up kicking shields and bags and swung them at attackers. Hell if there were a chair handy, I would hesitate to push it in the way.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I can't really add to any of the advice, I'll just add encouragement.

You're making us all proud, Darkmoon! OK, you're making me a little envious too....LOL!!! So happy for you! That is fantastic news!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you did not know the material you would not be up for promotion so give it all you have.
Not sure how your test usualy is run but if you mess up something, take a deep breath and simply say you know you did and ask if you may do it correctly.
I am sure you will do fine.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some very sound advice in this thread (not that I'd expect anything else here :D).

One important thing to bear in mind at all times, Darkmoon is that first dan is just the first real step, rather than the sign that you have reached martial perfection, so don't fret too much about it.

The road will still be there whatever happens and there is always a time to take a given step again.

docmartin252

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Congrats!!! You have worked a long time for this moment, so don't be nervous, just take advantage of every second and enjoy just being able to test for your black belt. After all is said and done, it's a great feeling and you'll have a good story to tell and be able to encourage others to do what you did.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Chris,

Lots of advice in this thread.

You could always just stay a third level brown for ever. Take the beatings I would give you every time we meet. Or you could test, and give it your best and then take the beatings I would give every time we meet. :D ;) All in fun of course. :lol:

Relax and execute.

Latest Discussions