9th Degree Black Belt Promotion

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is a 9th degree blackbelt test like?
I decided to take the performance test so I did the same things that Jason did for 1st degree black. I did, in order: basics, self-defense, kata, and free-fighting...in Texas. This means that the free-fighting was very rough and tumble. Add in the mix that I'm 60 years old next month and you have quite a workout.

DA

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I decided to take the performance test so I did the same things that Jason did for 1st degree black. I did, in order: basics, self-defense, kata, and free-fighting...in Texas. This means that the free-fighting was very rough and tumble. Add in the mix that I'm 60 years old next month and you have quite a workout.

DA

Thanks for the reply, Dan. Congratulations!

Is this for a particular style of karate or more of a general association?

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I believe that was one of the organizations that tested him. I heard about the test through GM Keith Yates who (correct me if I'm wrong Dan) presented the 9th degree to him. Mr. Yates told me it was a great test and the only thing he was disappointed in was that Dan didn't get to demonstrate his Arnis skills although he had a person there to do that as well.

I believe this speaks to Dan's character and skill in the martial arts when instead of just accepting a promotion he took a test that was physically demanding and he was prepared to show his skills in his other art as well.

Congrats Dan

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks, Mark. It was a rugged go. There was blood abound! Karate test, Texas style. You would have loved it. I don't know what happened to my arnis demo but there you go.

Makalakumu - yes, these guys. These guys, by the way, are the pioneers of karate in the state of Texas. Steve fisher had the best description for them, "In Texas event he weenies are tough." Here here!

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi All,

This was just put up on Youtube. If you go there, enjoy the test!

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Last edited by a moderator:

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That was educational, and a pleasure to watch. Looked like everybody worked pretty hard. The teamwork was awesome too. Congratulations.

Gnarlie

Latest Discussions