Anyone ever met someone who only trains forms and basics?

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone ever sparred or saw someone spar who only trained forms and basics(like kihon and 1 steps) . I know to be a fighter you need to fight to get better, but I've seen schools where they only train forms, kihon basics(punches, kicks, blocks etc) and 1 steps but not free sparring. How proficient could someone get from a routine like that? I'm just curious. Thanks.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone ever sparred or saw someone spar who only trained forms and basics(like kihon and 1 steps) . I know to be a fighter you need to fight to get better, but I've seen schools where they only train forms, kihon basics(punches, kicks, blocks etc) and 1 steps but not free sparring. How proficient could someone get from a routine like that? I'm just curious. Thanks.
If you equate proficiency with the ability to point spar, then I suppose one must spar to achieve proficiency in that.

On the other hand, not everyone who trains wants to spar. I don't spar because I have heart disease. Would you suppose I'm unable to defend myself?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes I know someone who only trained forms. They didn't do well with sparring. No matter what you do in life the rule is the same. "You get good by doing"

Can you be a good swimmer without swimming? It's the same for sparring. If you want to be good at it then you have to do it.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you equate proficiency with the ability to point spar, then I suppose one must spar to achieve proficiency in that.

On the other hand, not everyone who trains wants to spar. I don't spar because I have heart disease. Would you suppose I'm unable to defend myself?
No I would never say that Bill. Sparring isn't everything and I think there's tons of benefits of other types of training like the ones I listed, forms, kihon, 1 steps etc. I've only met 2 people who used that training style at my old mma gym. One was actually pretty good and went on to fight mma. The other had all the techniques down but didn't have the fighters instinct. I think mindset is most important. I'm just curious if someone like Daniel son from karate kid who mostly does kata how would he really do in competition?

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes I know someone who only trained forms. They didn't do well with sparring. No matter what you do in life the rule is the same. "You get good by doing"

Can you be a good swimmer without swimming? It's the same for sparring. If you want to be good at it then you have to do it.
Thanks for the post. Yeah if someone never learned to swim and just jumped in a 20 foot pool and there was no lifeguard or anyone to help they would probably drown. I remember the first time I sparred and got punched in the face I thought I was tough but it dazed me, then I went on to spar for 6 months in a row and the punches didn't faze me as much, but if Tyson punched me I'd go night night and when I wake up I'd think I was in 2nd grade lol

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm just curious if someone like Daniel son from karate kid who mostly does kata how would he really do in competition?
MA involves:

1. timing,
2. opportunity,
3. angle,
4. power,
5. balance.

Without sparring/wrestling partner, 1,2,3 have no meaning.

The following are my personal experience.

A guy walked into my school and wanted to learn how to fight. He didn't want to learn any forms. He didn't want to learn any basic (include stance, footwork, stretching, basic kick, basic punch, ...). We met 4 times a week, 2 hours per session. When he came, we put on gloves and sparred full contact for 2 hours. We did that for 8 months. In those 8 months, I had body pain 24/7. At the end of 8 months, one day he got into a fight. Within 20 minutes, his opponent could not even land a single punch on his body. He was so happy and came back to me and said, "It works!".

I do believe that one doesn't need to learn any form and can still fight well. IMO, if you want to learn how to fight, you have to fight.

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I'm glad you noted a difference between karate proficiency and sparring, especially tournament point sparring. They are two completely different things.

Prior to 1930 there was no sport karate and basically no sparring as we now know it. Does this mean that the Ryuuku (Okinawa) king's bodyguards like Matsumura, or Miyagi, Motobu and Matsumora (who took on a sword wielding Satsuma Samurai) or any of the other early masters couldn't defend themselves? There is no doubt they were formidable fighters. And I just listed the "M" guys :).

The type of training they engaged in was rigorous two-man drills and solo practice with a focused combat mindset. For those who are not aware, original Okinawan karate consisted mostly of strikes to soft vital areas, grabs with locks, breaks and kicks taking out the knee. None of these are allowed in "sparring."

Many, if not most, of the early masters in the 1800's and into the 20th century were engaged as professional tough guys of one sort or another, often in life and death situations with criminals, pirates, or potential assassins. Yes, I think they were proficient without sparring.

The problem is most schools do not train like that anymore and people have been brainwashed that sport sparring equates with "real" karate. So, the answer to Tigerwarrior's question depends on which genre of karate you're talking about.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
two-man drills and solo practice
You can

1. "develop" your MA skill through "two-men drills" - your opponent gives you that opportunity.
2. "polish" your MA skill through "solo practice".

But you still need to

3. "test" your MA skill through "sparring/wrestling" - your opponent won't give you that opportunity.
4. "enhance" your MA skill through "heavy bag and weight equipment training".

I believe this requirement apply to all MA systems.

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"test" your MA skill through "sparring/wrestling" - your opponent won't give you that opportunity.
While sparring in karate can help develop certain skills, it cannot replicate even 50% of "real" karate's true nature as I detailed in my post as many techniques cannot be fully executed without serious injury. In this regard, wrestling is different. Yes, a lot of wrestling techniques have the potential to cause severe injury, but not to the extent that karate can.

It seems like you either did not carefully read or fully understand my post from this quote as my entire post was devoted to your point #3 which I quoted. Or do you disagree with my statements in that post? If so, which ones? Can you respond as thoroughly as I addressed this particular issue?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
my entire post was devoted to your point #3 which I quoted.
Post #3 is not my post.

I have seen people who had trained MA for 6 years. He could do excellent partner drills. But in the ring or on the mat, he could not use his skill from his partner training drill. The reason is simple. In partner training, his opponent gave his opportunity. In sparring/wrestling, his opponent didn't give him that opportunity.

In other words, he didn't know how to create opportunity in sparring/wrestling because he didn't learn that from his partner drill training.

Also in

- partner drill, your opponent's footwork is fixed.
- sparring/wrestling, your opponent's footwork is unpredictable. You have to adjust your footwork with your opponent's footwork. This can be the major issue for people who doesn't go through sparring/wrestling.

many techniques cannot be fully executed without serious injury.
If you can punch on your opponent's shoulder (or next to his head) with full power, your opponent will understand his weakness. You can also just punch 30% with your power.

There are different ways to avoid injury even in full contact sparring.

Last edited:

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
No I would never say that Bill. Sparring isn't everything and I think there's tons of benefits of other types of training like the ones I listed, forms, kihon, 1 steps etc. I've only met 2 people who used that training style at my old mma gym. One was actually pretty good and went on to fight mma. The other had all the techniques down but didn't have the fighters instinct. I think mindset is most important. I'm just curious if someone like Daniel son from karate kid who mostly does kata how would he really do in competition?
Realistically, Daniel would not do very well. Training muscle memory movements in preparation for fighting may be effective, but takes an extremely long time. Martial arts used to be something people dedicated their lives to, which is perhaps why constant technique repetition seemed to be effective. Karatekas in Japan used to only have one or two students, perhaps a handful of them if they were lucky. In other words, they did not have many training partners; they were forced to test the effectiveness of their techniques and style by picking fights outside on the street, or continuously drill techniques on their own for hours at a time. The average martial artist in those times, was much more serious about fighting and martial arts than the average martial artist now. This is because now we have the commodities of affordable living, and treating martial arts as a way to stay fit or a hobby, rather than as something to be perfected and developed.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be fair, Daniel-san gets his *** beaten in for most of the first movie, then learns karate. Not the other way around.

That's the best way to learn to fight. You put your balls out there, and get crushed until they are like steel.

It does help to have a handyman with ancient kung fu skills around though. Otherwise you're at the mercy of the local dojo, and it gets expensive.

Miyagi and Daniel DO spar. But only after Daniel gets all emo, and then Miyagi attacks him with Goju Ryu.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Post title question was "Anyone ever met someone who only trains forms and basics?"
and the answer to that is yes, many

But it seems the real question is "Anyone ever met someone who only trains forms and basics, and spared with them?"

If all they do is forms and basics they likely do not spar.

If they decide to then they are doing more that forms and basics. If all they have done is forms and basics, and decide to spar, and they spar against someone with more experience sparing than they have, it is likely they will not do so well. But with that said, I did lose a match in my youth to a woman who trained Aikido and technically never spared, but did do a lot of randori. She threw me on the floor, (no pad by the way) and I figured I lost at that point.

The that was way back (30 years ago) when I was part of a sparing group, all styles welcome, one of the best MA learning experiences I had....

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some people rise to the occasion. Some do not. Nobody in the military trains by actually killing people, do they? So all training is simulation. When in combat, some fire their weapons at the enemy and some do not. The military knows well it is impossible to know ahead of time who will and who will not. Training with simulation is what can be done to prepare. Kata is simulation in that sense. Even sparring isn't self-defense, which is essentially what sparring is intended to represent.

I know people who can fight but can't spar and vice-versa. I've also known people who can do both. You never know until you know.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Prior to 1930 there was no sport karate and basically no sparring as we now know it. Does this mean that the Ryuuku (Okinawa) king's bodyguards like Matsumura, or Miyagi, Motobu and Matsumora (who took on a sword wielding Satsuma Samurai) or any of the other early masters couldn't defend themselves? There is no doubt they were formidable fighters.
The general argument in favor of sparring is that you need experience in actually applying your techniques against someone who is trying their best to not allow you to do so, while at the same time the other person is doing their best to apply their techniques to you and defeat your defenses. In addition, sparring can develop the mental toughness to deal with getting hit and continuing to fight.

If a person lives a lifestyle which involves actually fighting for real on a regular basis, that obviously fulfils the same functions. I don't think that anyone is arguing that a person who has plenty of real fight experience will be unable to fight effectively just because they don't spar. I'm always a bit skeptical about the reliability of accounts regarding the fighting exploits of the "old masters" in any system. The documentation is often scant, exaggeration is rampant, and we don't typically know much about the quality of the opponents they fought. But I would expect that any of them who did actually fight regularly against tough opponents were probably good fighters, regardless of whether they included sparring in their training.

There are a variety of reasons why a student of martial arts might prefer to develop fighting skill via sparring rather than real fighting. Actual fights are more likely to result in permanent injuries or serious legal problems. Sparring can be performed in a huge variety of ways and levels of intensity, allowing the practitioner to progressively develop their skills and toughness and to safely refine skills which may not be part of their "A" game. But there are also advantages to real fight experience - particularly learning to deal with higher levels of adrenaline and the experience of receiving and delivering techniques at 100% intensity.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ve known some who only train forms and basics. Haven’t seen them spar.

I’ve seen all manner of training in various schools. To each his own, good luck to everyone, including us.

I guess what it comes down to is whatever dojo/training place you become part of, you’ll train the way they train.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess what it comes down to is whatever dojo/training place you become part of, you’ll train the way they trai
All the more reason to train at home and not just the school. At home traing may allow exploration that the school doesn't do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We had a black belt come in once who trained in "real jujitsu"

I am pretty sure he had never rolled in his life.

BobY777

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But we know how Daniel-San faired in competition!

Latest Discussions