TKD + Boxing vs. Kickboxing

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I have a love-hate relationship with the poomsae in TKD, and maybe less of you know of my love-hate relationship with the WT sparring rules. With that in mind, I was thinking - what if I took the kick training from TKD (and only the kick training) and combined it with the punching style of boxing?

In other words, if I take out of TKD:
  • Forms
  • WT Sparring
  • Traditional stances, blocks, and punches
  • One-steps
And all I retained is the kick training relevant to the WT sparring (i.e. the kicks, kick combos and footwork), and then I added in the basic boxing punches and footwork, what would I be left with? Would this be a different style? Or would this just be kickboxing, as done by someone with a lot of kick and a lot less boxing?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it's a different style, then I beat you to it and therefore claim it as mine - that's essentially what I do when I do kickboxing.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it's a different style, then I beat you to it and therefore claim it as mine - that's essentially what I do when I do kickboxing.

Huh?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't know what you're saying. You have to use a sentence that makes sense outside of your own head, without the context of your inner monologue to assist us.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what you're saying. You have to use a sentence that makes sense outside of your own head, without the context of your inner monologue to assist us.
I believe he’s saying that he already developed his own personal style based on TKD kicks + boxing hands and therefore he gets naming rights before you do. :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe he’s saying that he already developed his own personal style based on TKD kicks + boxing hands and therefore he gets naming rights before you do. :)

The terms "developed" and "boxing hands" are quite strong to be fair ;)

I basically use 'my' TKD kicking and pretend to use my hands during kickboxing, while adopting a slightly squarer stance (more like a boxer/kickboxer stance).

Essentially, I'm either a bit lazy with kickboxing or I'm more of a kickboxer than a kickboxer.

Still working on the name :D

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Why do we have to fight over naming rights?

He can make kickpunching and I can make punchkicking.

(I hope someone else gets the joke, it might be a small Community on here that knows the reference).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everything is a little different. The sparring/fighting/competing aspects that is. You can't really use TKD kicks the same way in kickboxing as you use them in TKD. You can't really use your boxing skills the same way in kickboxing as you do in boxing arenas. There are nuances that are different. Completely different.

But there sure is one way to find that out. :)

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everything is a little different. The sparring/fighting/competing aspects that is. You can't really use TKD kicks the same way in kickboxing as you use them in TKD. You can't really use your boxing skills the same way in kickboxing as you do in boxing arenas. There are nuances that are different. Completely different.

But there sure is one way to find that out. :)

What couldn't I do with my kicks the same way?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What couldn't I do with my kicks the same way?

I suppose we should define kickboxing first. To me it means a fighting sport. Or the recently popular modern exercise regimen that has no fighting in it.

Are we talking either of those definitions?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose we should define kickboxing first. To me it means a fighting sport. Or the recently popular modern exercise regimen that has no fighting in it.

Are we talking either of those definitions?

I think they are separated into "kickboxing" and "cardio kickboxing." So yes, my question (to you, based on post #10) is what is the difference between TKD kicks and those used in the fighting sport, kickboxing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think they are separated into "kickboxing" and "cardio kickboxing." So yes, my question (to you, based on post #10) is what is the difference between TKD kicks and those used in the fighting sport, kickboxing.

Each fighting sport has nuances. Each arena has them, too. Fighting/sparring is a little different in a ring, on an open floor or in a fighting cage.

You just have to adapt your techniques a little, suitable to what venue you're in. I have no doubt you could do that, you certainly have the experience. One of the things that we adapted for the ring was a little less extension on kicks. Extended kicks can get countered too easily by good punchers, especially at the end of the kick. And if the kick is head high, bringing it down provides a beat in which to position and counter even more so.

Another thing is to make sure to throw kicks as part of the flow, in combos, similar to boxing combos, and to be able to throw them at a closer distance that most non ring fighters are used to. This is especially helpful if your opponent bends a little forward if he's evading, ducking, tired or off balance.

Here's a good example from a PKA fight. Jean Eves Theriault in black pants vs Ron Thivierge in red. Ron was a hell kicker out of Rhode Island. Jean Eves, was, well, Jean Eves. Just the best.

A couple years earlier, Ron fought Bill Wallace for Wallace's PKA title. And he beat Ron in a completely different way. A couple of weeks before the fight I mentioned to Bill "This guy has some kicks" and Bill said to me, "Oh, I'm not about to let him kick. Pretty hard to do that when your back is against the ropes. And that's where he's going to be the whole fight ."

And he did just that. Spent the whole fight trying to get off the ropes, to no avail.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Each fighting sport has nuances. Each arena has them, too. Fighting/sparring is a little different in a ring, on an open floor or in a fighting cage.

You just have to adapt your techniques a little, suitable to what venue you're in. I have no doubt you could do that, you certainly have the experience. One of the things that we adapted for the ring was a little less extension on kicks. Extended kicks can get countered too easily by good punchers, especially at the end of the kick. And if the kick is head high, bringing it down provides a beat in which to position and counter even more so.

Another thing is to make sure to throw kicks as part of the flow, in combos, similar to boxing combos, and to be able to throw them at a closer distance that most non ring fighters are used to. This is especially helpful if your opponent bends a little forward if he's evading, ducking, tired or off balance.

Here's a good example from a PKA fight. Jean Eves Theriault in black pants vs Ron Thivierge in red. Ron was a hell kicker out of Rhode Island. Jean Eves, was, well, Jean Eves. Just the best.

A couple years earlier, Ron fought Bill Wallace for Wallace's PKA title. And he beat Ron in a completely different way. A couple of weeks before the fight I mentioned to Bill "This guy has some kicks" and Bill said to me, "Oh, I'm not about to let him kick. Pretty hard to do that when your back is against the ropes. And that's where he's going to be the whole fight ."

And he did just that. Spent the whole fight trying to get off the ropes, to no avail.

We mix kicks and punches in our basic combinations, and we teach shorter motions for sparring. It should be easier to adapt than you suggested (and you already suggested it was easy).

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I have a love-hate relationship with the poomsae in TKD, and maybe less of you know of my love-hate relationship with the WT sparring rules. With that in mind, I was thinking - what if I took the kick training from TKD (and only the kick training) and combined it with the punching style of boxing?

In other words, if I take out of TKD:
  • Forms
  • WT Sparring
  • Traditional stances, blocks, and punches
  • One-steps
And all I retained is the kick training relevant to the WT sparring (i.e. the kicks, kick combos and footwork), and then I added in the basic boxing punches and footwork, what would I be left with? Would this be a different style? Or would this just be kickboxing, as done by someone with a lot of kick and a lot less boxing?
You'd be a dude with kicks and punches. You, yourself, will have improved your skillset.

Why the need to bind it up and nail it to the wall with categorization?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You'd be a dude with kicks and punches. You, yourself, will have improved your skillset.

Why the need to bind it up and nail it to the wall with categorization?

Because I would not want to limit my knowledge to myself, and would want to teach others what I know.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because I would not want to limit my knowledge to myself, and would want to teach others what I know.
Being reluctant to put what you know into a certain box doesn't really prevent you from passing that knowledge forward.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being reluctant to put what you know into a certain box doesn't really prevent you from passing that knowledge forward.

I'm not reluctant to. I'm asking if there's a difference.

Latest Discussions