How do your forms/katas progress?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by skribs, Feb 11, 2018.

1. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    A jump from kicking distance to someone's chest isn't small. And if they are already grabbing at your leg, then grabbing at your leg is pretty much the same thing.

2. jobo

jobo Senior Master

3,foot or so is a small jump, i can clear 10 with a standing jump at my age

3. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Ah, you're considering it versus a maximum jump. Not unreasonable.

4. jobo

jobo Senior Master

I've expressed my feelings about ma being ,faith based rather than sciences based before. the reality of fighting is its science, as such you must be able to prove that something works and be able to quantify its effectiveness against known variables. Here is a limit to how far you can take that with out some study and a lab but certainly you can critically assess the techneque and classify it by reliability, effectiveness and by consequence if it fails.

clearly all techniques will work against some people, the old, the chronic unfit, the blind, but you need to be,a bit more discerning than that, before you put faith in it and at least envisage some average strong fit healthy person as an adversary , if a techneque isn't very reliable, very effective and low risk against that class of person, ie most people, then all your dedication has made you no better than average.

I'm old being average is a good standard for me and that's why i do ma, to keep my self above average, techniques that don't do that are no use to me

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

Fortunately I seem to have missed the bolded and underlined part.

6. jobo

jobo Senior Master

it was amongst others, in the ma is a cult discussion, your cult leader tells you it works and you believe him, despite obvious evidence to the contrary, much the sane with flat earthers

7. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

You're kidding right?! You think there is evidence against a flat earth? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805 Blue Belt

I do Kenpo Karate so we have different Kata like we have short one and long one and short 2 long 2 then short 3 long 3 each kata is diiferent

9. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Yes but they're progressive

10. jobo

jobo Senior Master

i find flat earthers fascinating, they post videos of themselves,giving their views and justifcations to those views, most don't seem educationally subnormal, quite the opposite, they seem like normal everyday people with houses that suggest they had a reasonable income and therefore responsible jobs.

its just somehow they have,convinced themselves that physics is wrong and they can therfore discount any,scientific principle that doesn't agree with their view, they seem to have taken particular exception to gravity, but all and every science law, theory or hypothesis that doesn't support them is wrong and to compensate they just make up their own that,agree with a) the bible and or what they can experience themselves, they don't feel the world turning, therefore it doesn't turn.

there is more than a passing resemblance to ma, in that it starts of with a belief that the old masters were right and that any pesky law of motion that throws doubt on that can be ignored