Aiki Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Japanese Martial Arts - General' started by vince1, Sep 13, 2017.

1. vince1

vince1 White Belt

I was a student of Chow Gar Southern Mantis for about a year along with some Hapkido/Jiu Jitsu mixed in. Unfortunately I had to drive an hour both ways every Saturday morning for my weekly class. I decided to look in my own backyard and found a Master Carrothers that teaches traditional Aiki Jiu Jitsu 5 minutes away from my home. The system is from Yoshinkai Aki Jiu Jitsu (Shioda). Master Carrothers learned from Koshida one of Shiodas main students over 25 years ago in Flint Michigan.

So far I have taken a few classes and have quickly learned that their are so many subtle finer points to perfect a technique. It is a complete martial art that takes many years to accomplish and feel very fortunate/humble to be learning this martial art.

Is anyone else familiar with traditional Aiki Jiu Jitsu ?

2. gpseymour

gpseymour Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Shioda's art (I've heard various names for it - most often, I've heard it called Yoshinkan Aikido) is derived mainly (not exclusively) from Ueshiba's early development and teaching of what became Aikido (IIRC, it was mostly called Aiki Jujutsu around the time Shioda started training with him). It uses many of the same techniques and principles as Ueshiba's art, as seen through the other lineages. But I've been told it uses harder locks and more striking. I've been told NGA (my primary art) looks like Yoshinkan, so I suspect Yoshinkan also works a bit closer at times than most Aikido, and will use direct lines. It probably also doesn't rest entirely on "aiki" approaches, though that impression is entirely derived from comments about its similarity to NGA.

I've seen some video of Shioda when he was reasonably young, and he committed his weight into powering techniques far more than I see commonly in Ueshiba's Aikido.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. vince1

vince1 White Belt

Right now I am starting with the very basics and will eventually learn the complete system. I was told that wrist locks, arm locks, throwing techniques ,kicking techniques, rolling techniques, striking/blocking techniques ,grappling as well as over 60 pressure points are part of the traditional Aiki Jiu Jitsu system.

I was told that many years ago after Shioda died their were big changes to Yoshinkai in North America and Koshida (Shioda main student) refused to change his old style Aiki Jiu Jitsu and parted ways with the original Yoshiinkai club in Japan. Master Carrothers made it very clear to me that what he teaches is not Aikido in his words described the differences.

The one thing that impressed me the most so far has been how little effort it takes to bring your opponent to the ground once you have mastered the technique.He has made it very clear that this martial art is not about power, but technique.

4. gpseymour

gpseymour Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    That last bit is because of the "aiki" (which is difficult to define, and if you ask 10 informed people for definitions, you'll probably get at least a dozen responses).

As a note, to avoid confusion, there are two uses of "Aikido". One (the most commonly recognized) is as the name of the art founded by Ueshiba. The other is the grouping created in the early 1940's (IIRC - going from memory here) by the Dai-Nippon Butokku-kai. The latter appears to predate the former usage. Under the DNBK usage, Shioda's art/style (and its derivations) are all "Aikido", as is Nihon Goshin Aikido (not derived from Ueshiba's art - a cousin with a shared ancestor). So, when Corrothers says it is not "Aikido", he is referring (almost certainly) to Ueshiba's art.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. vince1

vince1 White Belt

Yes you are correct and Carrothers made mention of Ueshiba's art.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShortBridge

ShortBridge Brown Belt

I spent some time in something similar, I can't say how closely related. Methaphorically, it's "the one that got away" for me. Take advantage of the opportunity you have and go as far and as deep as you can.

• Like Like x 2
  7. vince1

vince1 White Belt

Yes that's how I am looking at it as well. Master Carrothers is in his mid seventies and is a wealth of knowledge . I am training in a private setting with him and one of his students that has been training with him for 15 years.

8. ShortBridge

ShortBridge Brown Belt

Perfect.

Regardless of what you may do someday, when opportunities like this present themselves, you just have to go with them.