Aiki Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Japanese Martial Arts - General' started by vince1, Sep 13, 2017.

1. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    None of that is what I said I saw.

• Like Like x 1
  2. vince1

vince1 Yellow Belt

You are absolutely correct about it not being Master Carrothers he was off to the side during the video. They are actually demonstrating techniques slowly for first and second white. And yes they are not including structure and control but in time he does switch the focus to fine tuning the technique. It really depends on the individual and how quickly he/she absorbs what is being taught and able to execute.

I saw this same video before I joined and thought it was very sloppy and fake. I finally convinced myself to at least sign up for a private class and meet Master Carrothers. I was totally blown away and quickly realized what I had been missing all these years given my martial arts background. I was able to witness many of these same techniques as well as advanced techniques not shown in the video sped up. It was mind blowing !

I actually mentioned to Master Carrothers the video should be removed and an updated one should be put up with advanced students demonstrating the techniques.Apparently an individual came forward 6 years ago and asked Master Carrothers if they could video tape it. The individual was suppose to come back and video tape advanced techniques but for some reason never came back and found out later he moved away. I am currently working on first and second white belt along with sword form #1. The subtle hand technique placement and footwork is making it very interesting. Fortunately my previous mantis martial arts background has helped me with regards to muscle memory.

I am keeping a very open mind and have always been somewhat of a skeptic but this martial art seems to be more of a fit mentally/physically.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I take a fairly neutral view when I see things like what's in that video. I recognize it as a formal technique (what the mainline of my primary art would call a "classical technique"), and I know that sometimes even good practitioners of the style fall into bad habits in those formal techniques, especially when they are teaching them to/demonstrating them for newer students. Newer students tend to do them without good structure control initially, anyway, and sometimes people get into the habit of demonstrating them the way they actually expect the student to replicate them (including those deficiencies).

In other words, I see problems with what's done there, but I know those problems can exist in formal techniques and suddenly vanish in application. IMO, it's not a good habit to get into (treating the formal techniques so differently), but it's not always an indication of a flaw in the overall approach.

4. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    @vince1 - I was interested to see the English naming for those techniques. It seems at least partly a fairly direct translation from some of the Japanese names for them. Our translation to English took a different route, though some of the names are similar.

5. vince1

vince1 Yellow Belt

I will ask Master Carrothers for my own copy of the curriculum and find out if he is willing to let me share that with you. It doesn't hurt to ask.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Thank you. If he prefers I make some request myself, I'm more than happy to do so, and to share anything I have with him, if it can be of any use.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    This would be a good idea. I don't know what level brown belts are supposed to be at in your system, but it's not good advertising for the school to have video up of students performing techniques poorly without being corrected.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. vince1

vince1 Yellow Belt

I think any martial artist looking in from the outside especially not having any experience in that particular martial art being demonstrated would find fault. I initially did as mentioned earlier by watching the video until I actually was being taught/shown the technique in a classroom setting. It took me a couple of weeks of practicing before I could actually pull it off and feel completely comfortable with it.

It has been very interesting learning some of the very basic Aiki Jiu jItsu techniques over the last few weeks. I would throw in some of my mantis kung fu in to try and mess up my teacher up. It made my private class very interesting and quickly revealed how good he really was. I regard my Mantis Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Do experience to be a very valuable asset when needed but feel learning the Aiki Jiu Jitsu will prove to be more beneficial.

9. vince1

vince1 Yellow Belt

Gerry would you happen to have videos that you could post of lower ranking and higher ranking belts demonstrating Nihon Goshin Aikido ?Thank you.

10. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I don't have any, though there are some on YouTube. John Carter's approach is closer to my own view than most. There's one marketing video by Robert MacEwen that just flashes through a number of the classical forms.

If you browse through the different offerings on YouTube, you'll find the usual range and differences. There's very little sparring posted (and what I've been able to find was usually not good). Most schools don't post much (if anything) from actual classes, so most is demonstration and teaching videos. That latter point goes to the request about lower ranking practitioners - I haven't seen much video of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. vince1

vince1 Yellow Belt

Hi Devon, thank you for the insight. I do agree what Kushida taught was hard , the striking and pinning aspect etc. Master Carrother's has emphasized the striking aspect where as Ueshiba changed from striking to raising his hand/arm as a distraction and then following through with the technique. Kushida emphasized to Master Carrother's the strike, by making it count if at all possible to bring down your opponent .The reason why Ueshiba changed this was when around the time he found religion. Whether this is accurate or not, it did change.
    Master Carrothers was able to demonstrate to me the way Ushiba would of done a particular technique without the striking. I prefer the striking ,pinning, kicking aspect and find it to be more effective. Seems to be more complete in my personal opinion and respect Kushida for sticking to what he felt to be more effective.
    Thank you !

12. Anarax

Anarax Blue Belt

We have an Aiki Jiu Jitus instructor that comes to Kali. He's very skilled and knowledgeable in AJJ techniques. I've taken AJJ, Japanese Jujitsu and Aikido. From my experience Japanese Jujitsu and AJJ are more similar than AJJ and Aikido. AJJ feels a lot like JJJ just with more flow to it, a lot of the techniques are similar. This may be due to instructors, lineage or background. Overall, I learned a lot from AJJ

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1