A Sword Art just for me...Iaido?

Kosokun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I find using a bokken terribly inadequate for learning Iai-do. YMMV
There's a surprisingly large amount of saya manipulation involved in the draw and resheathing as well as in some of the more advanced forms that you simply cannot do with a bokken. One can try to find a bokuto with saya, but they're fairly expensive. The one shown earlier in the thread I don't particularly like, ymmv. During the draw, the saya sometimes bends.

I practice MJER, btw.

My recommendation is to seek out proper sword instruction for a variety of reasons.

1) they'll probably have a good line on practice equipment and apparel. That will save you some grief and $$ on replacing inadequate equipment/apparel as well as tendonitis from poorly balanced swords.

2) they can help you with the fundamentals, from just getting dressed to the proper draw. The proper draw is so very important, because one can seriously damage their koiguchi and/or saya requiring you to replace the saya. That is an EXPENSIVE endeavor.

3) safety issues.

4) correction of your technique so that at least you avoid use injuries and the expense of seeing your doctor about your tendonitis in new and creative places.

Just my opinion, based upon my short experience in Iai.

Rob

Theban_Legion said:
Iaido with a bokken? Now that isn't a bad idea... Certainly something I could do without risking anything other than a bad bruise or three.
I didn't realize that a bokken had to be maintained.
Great information here! Thank you.

Latest Discussions