Learning the art of Japanese sword fighting

lonewolfofmibu

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me first say i'm a very big admirer of the art of Japanese sword fighting and I've always wanted to learn but sadly I've had little luck finding a sword fighting Sensei so my question to all you sword enthusiasts what is the best distance learning videos on Japanese sword fighting (i don't care if it's Kendo or Iaido or whatever)

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh boy, I hope you are prepared by the responses the sword guys will give you because its going to be some heavy stuff.

I will say this as gentle as I can. In learning a weapon you really need quality instruction simply because you are handling something that can really hurt yourself.
There are some decent videos that can help you remember katas and open up some questions for your teacher. I am sure people here can direct you to proper source.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let me first say i'm a very big admirer of the art of Japanese sword fighting and I've always wanted to learn but sadly I've had little luck finding a sword fighting Sensei so my question to all you sword enthusiasts what is the best distance learning videos on Japanese sword fighting (i don't care if it's Kendo or Iaido or whatever)
1. What exactly are you looking for? Iaido, kendo and kenjitsu are all very different things. Very different.
2. “or whatever”? This tells me that you just likethe idea of the JSA, but have a limited understanding of what it all is about.Read up some more on the subject please.
3. I have been training 13+ years in various arts under one of the best teachers around, I hold halfway decent rank, and that being said, I believe I know very little about the JSA. I use video asa reminder of some of the obscure stuff I havepracticed, not as a primary tool for learning.
4. Have you tried this site to find a teacher or school?http://www.auskf.info/
5. Shortly others will be awake and join into this discussion; some of their opinions are always entertaining.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boiling the matter down to it's simplest state, wolf, you cannot learn a Japanese Sword Art effectively with what is politely called, "distance learning". The precision and subtlety of movement and postion that is required will not be developed without a physically present, experienced, tutor who can see and correct where your mistakes are.

I have been practising Iai for eight years or so now, taught by a man with a great talent for the role. Even so, I find 'bad things' creeping in to my execution and those bad things would become 'trained in' if sensei wasn't there to catch them and guide me back to a more correct technique.

You can perhaps use video media as a means of gathering information about what art you might want to learn but please do not spend too much of your time or your money on trying to learn an art that way.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You're gonna have to travel then, or learn another sword art in the meantime if it's closer. Lots of sword goings-on in Utah.

Best regards.

-Mark

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What videos to learn swordsmanship from? None. Can't be done. You don't care what form of swordsmanship? Then don't do it. There's nothing near you? Move, or accept you can't train in sword.

When all's said and done, if you're interested (genuinely interested, rather than mildly, or fleetingly interested), then you'll be prepared to sacrifice what you need to in order to get the training... which might be waiting, it might be moving, it might be waiting then moving. It's not just looking for an easy option. Musashi Miyamoto wrote something quite valuable to this topic, actually, and it's as true today as it was 400 years ago: "Amateur martial arts study is the cause of serious injury". This, obviously, is most applicable to learning things like sword arts.

Oh, and if you really want to study, then the only thing I can say is Get a New Wife (http://www.koryu.com/library/dlowry7.html). In other words, if you're not willing, or able to make the sacrifice necessary to get a real teacher, you're probably not suited to the study (at this point in time). That's the reality.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While I agree wtih what has been said so far in this thread, I will try and explain a bit about why it was said. Learning the sword arts (Japanese in particular) is an esoteric undertaking. The sword (for the most part) is no longer used in today's society, so the nuances of how to use the sword have been pretty much lost except for the legitimate Japanese sword arts, and the few historical European sword art schools that have been re-learning what was written by masters in the past. Contrary to what you would imagine, the proper way to use a Japanese sword is NOT natural. The movements are counterintuitive, and the musculature developed is not usually used in other endeavors. It feels very awkward until you've practiced enough to make it feel natural. This is the primary reason that people say you cannot learn without a legitimate instructor to guide you.

On the other hand, there are a number of places that you can buy a Japanese style sword of acceptable quality, and even more where a bokken (wooden practice sword) can be had. There is nothing wrong with buying a bokken with a saya and imitating what you see in a video for your own entertainment, as long as you are careful and play safely. Just be aware that you are NOT learning a Japanese sword art, and you'll have to unlearn quite a bit if you decide to actually join a legitimate school later on.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As everyone else stated you cannot learn these skill sets from video instruction. You need to find a qualified teacher and travel to him or her!

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kendo would be impossible to actually learn via video. E-bogu.com (http://www.e-bogu.com/default.asp) does offer a DVD series, and the basic kendo DVD would provide you with an idea of what is involved, but you really would not be able to learn kendo. I had a student who was 'video' and self trained, and it took him so long to un-learn all of his bad habits that he gave up before the job was done. This was compounded by the fact that he thought that those 'bad habits' were 'special techniques' that somehow would work 'for him.' He got frustrated when they didn't (amazing what a resisting opponent does to frustrate such things).

I'm sure that if you go to Barnes & Noble, you can find all manner of 'teach yourself' books. I have received a few as gifts from well meaning friends who saw them and thought they'd appeal to me. The good ones only make sense if you're already receiving instruction, and the bad ones are just bad.

For kendo/iaido, Rocky Mountain Kendo Iaido Federation lists a Salt Lake City location: http://hisamurai.com/rmkif.html. It looks fairly close to Roy (relatively speaking). Langenschwert listed it in his post above. Ken Morgan also linked the AUSKF website.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Last edited: