A Sword Art just for me...Iaido?

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello!
I have no training what-so-ever in any Sword Art. My background is in Kenpo, yet I am interested in learning a solo form of Swordsmanship. Something that I can train in alone. I have no particular interest in rank or associations (not to insinuate that these are bad things :) ).
I suppose that I am more interested in the focus and awareness that I have heard Iaido provides to those who train diligently. Is it possible to train independently in Iaido?

I understand that learning from a book or video is far, far inferior to live instruction and may never lead to any great skill; however, in this endever, that's ok with me. I doubt that I will ever seek formal training (with the sword), and I will certainly never present myself to another as having had any formal training(with the sword). It is something extra that I wish to do in privacy...just for me.

So, with this in mind, is there anyone here that is willing to point me in the right direction? Which videos or books are the best at conveying knowledge?
More importantly, what dangerous pitfalls should I avoid?

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
More importantly, what dangerous pitfalls should I avoid?

Here's the major pitfall you should avoid. This is from a gentleman that posts on swordforum.com. He is quite familiar with swords, and had been teaching himself iaido out of a book for a while now. The problem is that books and videos can only give you a general idea of what you are doing. With no instructor to tell you where you are not correct, something like this can happen from just trying to resheath your sword (that's how it happened). He can only move two fingers on that hand now. Please think about this before you decide to try and teach yourself.

Cut_arm.jpg

exitwound.jpg

Good luck!

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not only was the hand somewhat disabled, he nicked two major arteries and if someone hadn't been there to slap a tourniquet on quickly, he would surely have bled to death.

And in answer to your question, no you cannot train in a JSA without someone to teach you. You can swing a sword around all you want, but you won't be doing a JSA. You'll be swinging a sword around. There's a BIG difference.

If you tell us where you are, we can probably point you towards a training oppurtunity somewhere in your vacinity.

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok, well that was quick and painless. Thanks for the input.

Maybe there's something that I can learn using a Bokken...

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I just have to comment on this guy in the pictures...

Umm...wouldn't an Iai-to (not sure if that's the right word for "unsharpened practice sword") have been a good selection for trying to learn this stuff at home. I mean, if you have no experience with a sword, why on earth would you want to train with a razor sharp one???

It strikes me that a live blade should be handled with the same respect as a loaded firearm. An untrained person whipping a sharp sword all over the place is incredibly dangerous.

To cause that kind of injury he must have tried to sheath his weapon we alot of speed and power. Doesn't precise speed and power with a sword take years to develop properly so you won't hurt yourself?

SHEESH!!!! Darwin awards are calling his name...

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:
Okay, I just have to comment on this guy in the pictures...

Umm...wouldn't an Iai-to (not sure if that's the right word for "unsharpened practice sword") have been a good selection for trying to learn this stuff at home. I mean, if you have no experience with a sword, why on earth would you want to train with a razor sharp one???

It strikes me that a live blade should be handled with the same respect as a loaded firearm. An untrained person whipping a sharp sword all over the place is incredibly dangerous.

To cause that kind of injury he must have tried to sheath his weapon we alot of speed and power. Doesn't precise speed and power with a sword take years to develop properly so you won't hurt yourself?

SHEESH!!!! Darwin awards are calling his name...

I suspect that if the individual in the pictures had been using an iaito he would have been in a great deal MORE trouble. Sharp edges make nice clean cuts. Clean cuts are far preferable to nasty jagged tears. Believe me if he had done the same thing with an iaito, he still would have pretty much ran his arm through. Iaito are plenty sharp on the pointy end to have wreaked enourmous damage. I suspect the surgeon who managed to stich the arteries back together would have had a much more difficult time of it had the arteries been torn apart instead of severed.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can certainly train by yourself when it comes to Iaido, but you should still at least get a set of basic fundamentals, before you start practicing on your own.

Also, until you are familiar with the handling of a sword, I would suggest practicing with a wooden bokken. While it's not quite the same as drawing it from a scabbard, you can still practice the art of drawing from a belt or a sash.

BTW, Mr. Mahan is correct, in that you can still injure yourself with an unsharpened sword! Yes, this also applies to bokken as well.

Once you get your bokken, maintain it regularly, using boiled linseed oil, some fine sandpaper, and a lot of elbow grease.

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
You can certainly train by yourself when it comes to Iaido, but you should still at least get a set of basic fundamentals, before you start practicing on your own.

Also, until you are familiar with the handling of a sword, I would suggest practicing with a wooden bokken. While it's not quite the same as drawing it from a scabbard, you can still practice the art of drawing from a belt or a sash.

BTW, Mr. Mahan is correct, in that you can still injure yourself with an unsharpened sword! Yes, this also applies to bokken as well.

Once you get your bokken, maintain it regularly, using boiled linseed oil, some fine sandpaper, and a lot of elbow grease.
Iaido with a bokken? Now that isn't a bad idea... Certainly something I could do without risking anything other than a bad bruise or three.
I didn't realize that a bokken had to be maintained.
Great information here! Thank you.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your self-instructing through media (book, video, etc.) then I think that you should use a wooden bokken, or some other not sharp tool. You can learn a lot and have fun without hurting yourself. Then, if you decide you really like it, seek out a competent instructor and then play with a real blade under supervision.

Paul

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:
Iaido with a bokken? Now that isn't a bad idea... Certainly something I could do without risking anything other than a bad bruise or three.
I didn't realize that a bokken had to be maintained.
Great information here! Thank you.
Glad it helped. In general, some types of wood need more treatment than others. Regardless of the wood used, you don't want the wood to get too dry, since this can make it much more susceptible to cracking.

Giving a bokken a light coating of boiled linseed oil (don't get regular linseed oil; it will never dry out / cure in time), will help insulate it against extremes. Follow this up with a light sanding, using fine grit sandpaper.

BTW, here's an example of a bokken that comes with a scabbard (so you could get a bit more of a realistic feeling), just in case:

http://www.woodenswords.com/AMA/saya.htm

Ojiisan

White Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Yeah, you can do this if you do not care that you will be doing things wrong and ingraining them. If you ever get a chance to learn by a real teacher; you must find a way to unlearn all the bad habits you acquired. If all you want to do is go out in the backyard and play swordfighting, do so; however, if you are serious about learning JSA, wait until you find a good teacher. And as a side note; you do not have to oil a bokuto unless you are engaging in hard contact kumitachi on a regular basis.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ouch! Those pictures hurt me. My iaido sensei cut himself once when an old scabbard gave way during a cut, but it was not nearly that bad.

When I studied, we started with a bokken, then an iaito, then--only if desired--a live blade.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The gentleman in the photo was attempting to learn from a book and was trying something he wasn't ready for when he ran his arm through. The actual sword inflicted wound is difficult to see in the picture. Due to the massive internal bleeding that came from the severed arteries, the ER docs had to make the long elbow to wrist incision to allow the pooled blood to drain out.

Here's the original thread
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53083

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I practice a tai chi form with an unsharpened steel practice blade. There are a couple of quick movments in the form that could lead to a very nasty injury like that. I wonder if I should get a wooden version of the sword I use? I just like the practice the form and the fundamentals. Why put myself at a greater risk if I don't have to?

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
tulisan said:
If your self-instructing through media (book, video, etc.) then I think that you should use a wooden bokken, or some other not sharp tool. You can learn a lot and have fun without hurting yourself. Then, if you decide you really like it, seek out a competent instructor and then play with a real blade under supervision
Right on.

One of the other MT members sent me a link to a JSA studio. It's several hours from my house, but it is good to know the nearest location of a qualified instructor.

Grenadier said:
BTW, here's an example of a bokken that comes with a scabbard (so you could get a bit more of a realistic feeling), just in case:

http://www.woodenswords.com/AMA/saya.htm
That is perfect! Just the type of bokken I'm looking for. Thank you very much.

Ojiisan said:
Yeah, you can do this if you do not care that you will be doing things wrong and ingraining them. If you ever get a chance to learn by a real teacher; you must find a way to unlearn all the bad habits you acquired. If all you want to do is go out in the backyard and play swordfighting, do so; however, if you are serious about learning JSA, wait until you find a good teacher. And as a side note; you do not have to oil a bokuto unless you are engaging in hard contact kumitachi on a regular basis.
I don't really place alot of value in self-instruction unless one has at least a couple of years under a live instructor, so I'm not too concerned with ingraining incorrect posture unless it will lead to a horrible self-inflicted injury :uhohh: .

Really, I view this (Iaido) as an interesting form of meditation. The serene calm comes before the flash of the blade. It's the 'serene calm' part that I am interested in.

I don't have any interest in 'playing swords'. If that were the case, I'd be looking into Chanbara :) .

upnorthkyosa said:
Why put myself at a greater risk if I don't have to?
Yeah, my thoughts exactly! I'd be perfectly happy with a bokken.

Honestly, this is just something extra that I want to do. I don't need to be on the road to sword mastery; I'm far to busy trying to master other aspects of life for that road anyway. This will serve me as a form of meditation.

I'm glad that there are people out there who are willing to give some decent advice in this area. Thanks!

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If meditation is what you are after? Why not just take up meditation? Why bring swords into it at all?

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Charles Mahan said:
If meditation is what you are after? Why not just take up meditation? Why bring swords into it at all?
Why do some people choose moving mediatation instead of stationary meditation?

Why would I bring a bokken into my moving meditations?

The answer is rather simple: I want to. I choose to.

If I decide that this is enjoyable and beneficial then it will become a fixed part of my day. If I decide that it has no benefit then I will discard this method. I am free to experiment. We all are.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:
Why do some people choose moving mediatation instead of stationary meditation?

Why would I bring a bokken into my moving meditations?

The answer is rather simple: I want to. I choose to.

Then why call it Iaido?

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Charles Mahan said:
Then why call it Iaido?
Okay.
It really isn't anything that I'm interested in arguing over.

I see in your profile that you are a Godan in Iaido. I understand that you are quite possibly offended by the fact that I take this subject lightly. For me, it's no big deal. For you, it looks as if it is a lifelong pursuit.

I respect anyone's dedication to their choosen art. If it bothers you that I am not interested in fully entering the realm of Iaido to the extent that others have, I am more than willing to call it something else. A catchy phrase does come to mind: 'Psuedo-Iaido', or perhaps 'Meditative Psuedo-Iaido', or maybe just call it 'meditation with a stick'. Yes, I think the name, "Meditation with a Stick" is possibly the most appropriate.

Problem solved.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Latest Discussions