A punch should be followed by a pull

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A punch should not be just a punch. A punch should be followed by a pull. A punch should be like the following ancient weapon.

Your thought?

spear-with-hook.jpg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If every punch is treated as if it's going to turn into a pull, then those punches will be compromised.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On a scale that ranges from Strongly Disagree to Strongly Agree:
A punch should not be just a punch.
Somewhat agree.
A punch should be followed by a pull.
Disagree.

A punch should be just a punch when you are training for that punch, and also if that punch knocks out your opponent. There should be no follow-up after that.

A punch could be followed by a pull. It could also be followed by a sweep, another punch, a kick, a knee strike, an evasive maneuver, or many other things. There are a lot of things you could do after a punch besides a pull. There's also a lot of situations when it can't. For example, if you're wearing gloves (boxing) or if grabbing isn't allowed (Taekwondo), or if your opponent closes in after you punch.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Been punching a long time, never once needed a pull afterwards. An alibi maybe.

Why would I want to pull?

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends if you trust your striking. If you do, no pull need. If you don't, pull in order to grapple.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends if you trust your striking. If you do, no pull need. If you don't, pull in order to grapple.

I somewhat disagree with this. Not every strike is a knockout blow. Using a strike as a shock/distraction while you set up your grab is not a bad strategy.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why would I want to pull?
- Pull your opponent into your punch/kick.
- Borrow your opponent's resistance force to move in.
- Achieve a clinch.
- Change a striking game into a wrestling game.
- …

It meets the principle that one should keep friend close but enemy closer.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you use this weapon, even if you can pull with it, you don't give up your stabbing ability.

stab + pull > stab

If you have choice of the following 2 weapons, which one will you choose?

spear-with-hook.jpg

spear.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you use this weapon, even if you can pull with it, you don't give up your stabbing ability.

stab + pull > stab

spear-with-hook.jpg

spear.jpg
I’d take the regular spear. Damn hook would just get in the way.

That is a specialty weapon, used for dragging people off horseback and then stabbing them. If you don’t need to do that, the hook is just in the way.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The barbed spear thing is not a good analogy, as it inherently grabs with every thrust. But so long as we're talking about punches instead of palm strikes, your fingers inherently are not in the right position to grab when your punch lands.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

stab + pull > stab

spear-with-hook.jpg

spear.jpg
If you've got a weapon, that's an entirely different sitaition. I will say that, with a weapon with that range, you wont see me punching. Probably won't see me pulling either, unless I've already impaled my opponent.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I somewhat disagree with this. Not every strike is a knockout blow. Using a strike as a shock/distraction while you set up your grab is not a bad strategy.
It doesn't need to be a knockout blow. But risking a hit (which trying to grab/pull does) to get them closer means to me that you dont have confidence at a punching range.

The other way of looking at this is saying "if you don't pull, you don't have confidence in grappling". Which i guess makes sense. Personally, I'm a striker who likes to get in close. So I'll get in close quickly, and leave just as quickly. Not going to give you the opportunity to switch the game up though.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't need to be a knockout blow. But risking a hit (which trying to grab/pull does) to get them closer means to me that you dont have confidence at a punching range.

The other way of looking at this is saying "if you don't pull, you don't have confidence in grappling". Which i guess makes sense. Personally, I'm a striker who likes to get in close. So I'll get in close quickly, and leave just as quickly. Not going to give you the opportunity to switch the game up though.

No. It means I'm confident in both.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Haven't we had this conversation before?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. It means I'm confident in both.
IMO it would mean you're more confident in your grappling then your striking. Because you're you're actively turning a striking match into a grappling match.

Which is fine for people who are lrinarilg grapplers. I just wouldn't do so because I trust my striking

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO it would mean you're more confident in your grappling then your striking. Because you're you're actively turning a striking match into a grappling match.

Which is fine for people who are lrinarilg grapplers. I just wouldn't do so because I trust my striking

Unless you're using that grappling to set up your next strike. A lot of the traditional TKD I've learned alternates between strikes and grabs.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you're using that grappling to set up your next strike. A lot of the traditional TKD I've learned alternates between strikes and grabs.
Yup. So you're grappling to set up a strike, because you don't trust your striking enough. If that's what you're saying, then we agree. If you're saying that you need grappling to facilitate striking, then we disagree, and you dont truat your striking enough

Latest Discussions