A punch should be followed by a pull

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What's the difference to demo your move on a beginner student vs. on an advance student?
The difference isn't when you're demonstrating a move. It's when you're demoing general practice, and training with resistance. I don't know about you, but my training and attempting a move against a live, resisting partner, looks very different against someone with a few weeks/months of experiencing, vs. a few years experience.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the difference to demo your move on a beginner student vs. on an advance student?
Whether they can take the fall, and the speed they can safely handle in some movements. And the complexity of what they can do in drills. With a beginner, most of my attention is on protecting them (sometimes to the detriment of the technique). With someone more advanced, I can mostly just do the thing.

And there are parts of training that just aren't the same for beginners. So, someone who has trained a total of about 40 hours with me (1 day a week for 6 months) really isn't up to some of the drills I'd use with more advanced folks.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The difference isn't when you're demonstrating a move. It's when you're demoing general practice, and training with resistance. I don't know about you, but my training and attempting a move against a live, resisting partner, looks very different against someone with a few weeks/months of experiencing, vs. a few years experience.
Are you talking about demo, or fighting?

What do you think about these demo partners? Are they advanced guys, or just beginners?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ignore this post.
First, define what you mean by ignore, and what a post is. And when you say "this", are you referring to your post, the post before it, or my post now asking about your post? You're leaving way too much up to interpretation here.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Whether they can take the fall, and the speed they can safely handle in some movements. And the complexity of what they can do in drills. With a beginner, most of my attention is on protecting them (sometimes to the detriment of the technique). With someone more advanced, I can mostly just do the thing.

And there are parts of training that just aren't the same for beginners. So, someone who has trained a total of about 40 hours with me (1 day a week for 6 months) really isn't up to some of the drills I'd use with more advanced folks.
But you don't have to demo in full speed. You can demo in slow speed as well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, define what you mean by ignore, and what a post is. And when you say "this", are you referring to your post, the post before it, or my post now asking about your post? You're leaving way too much up to interpretation here.
It turns out the moderators are a bunch of smartasses.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about demo, or fighting?

What do you think about these demo partners? Are they advanced guys, or just beginners?

Those were all static held positions, and only one that required a fall. That's fine when showing the detail of a technique, but not so good at showing how a technique actually looks and moves...so long as they don't need to know how to take a specific fall without injuring themselves. Even with some of the Classical forms, doing them slowly actually removes the mechanics (too much time for recovery by uke, and without a bit of speed some techniques never get their weight moving).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you don't have to demo in full speed. You can demo in slow speed as well.

That has limited utility. It certainly doesn't tell students what to expect, nor show how the moves really work. It also inflates the efficacy of some moves, giving students a false sense of security in them (which, if nothing else, often leads to mistakes in not protecting against counters).

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A punch should not be just a punch. A punch should be followed by a pull. A punch should be like the following ancient weapon.

Your thought?

spear-with-hook.jpg

sometimes a punch is an entry to trap, or setup.

In old TSD there is a thing called the plier hand strike. or Y hand strike performed with the web of muscle, sinew and bone between the thumb's metatarsal and and index finger's metatarsal bones.

the ideal target is the throat and larynx/hyoid bone.
After the strike, the hand seizes and pulls with a tearing grip.

One of the greatest advantages of an open-hand strike is the ability to quickly grab the opponent to perform a follow-up, such as a throw or a pull into another strike.

in Uechi Ryu they tuck the thumb and use what they call a boshiken. a very brutal and effective strike using the last knuckle.
boshiken-2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions