a punch out of the blue

OP
S

sammy3170

A few comments. Firstly if a guy is in your face you have no idea of distance and range. If he starts to come up to you back up and in a neutral stance yell something to the effect of 'leave me alone'. If he just keeps coming then you are physically allowed to defend your self if you consider it a threat but to stand that close you deserve to get hit. Secondly if you get hit and he stops then you have no right to defend yourself unless you are under reattack. You getting hit was what you were supposed to be defending yourself against. If he hits you and just stands there then the threat is gone and you are just defending your ego.

90% (probably greater of fights started in the school yard or bars are based on ego. If a guy says he wants to sit in your stool let him. There are limits but if you can back down why not do it.

Cheers
Sammy

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by sammy3170

90% (probably greater of fights started in the school yard or bars are based on ego. If a guy says he wants to sit in your stool let him. There are limits but if you can back down why not do it.

Cheers
Sammy

You know, that is probably some of the best advice I've heard on this topic yet. If you can back down, why not. If you truly do not want to fight, MOST of the time you can back down or walk away and not fight. I did say most of the time, not all the time, but most people are defending their ego that got hurt when the guy sat in their bar stool.

7sm

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gou you bastard, that was my closest guarded martial arts secret and you went and blabbed it to the whole world.

Unfortunately I have a huge ego and in the case of the some guy trying to take my stool well... I'd just have to rip my clothes off right away.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

what would be the limit?

I think that would depend on each person and each seperate event. Sometimes it would be further than others depending on if someone else was in danger, or if it could start a bar fight, or things of that nature. You have to think of the outcome of an encounter.

7sm

OP
H

Humble artist

Well just to make sure for everyone in doubt I think I shall reveal that if they´re just throwing insults or swinging around it can be taken as a grain of salt as long as they are so far away from you.
Once they step into your zone,a few feet away,they are completely cabable of harming you grievously.
So if they ever rush there with possible intention,you could kick them to keep them at "long range" where they can do less harm (every MA knows what I mean by long range) somewhat long winded technically maybe,just a hint.
First make sure you did all you can to avoid,stand up after that.
Do it clearly,verbally (less change of getting into legal mess with that) and try to seek personal space rather than trying to bounce them back with your ribcage...
Leave the area to a point,at least.Seek safety and see if they still keep hunting,if can´t escape,act.
Attracting attention should be rather easy in a school enviroment,something that he would really,really hate.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Damian Mavis
Gou you bastard, that was my closest guarded martial arts secret and you went and blabbed it to the whole world.
Unfortunately I have a huge ego and in the case of the some guy trying to take my stool well... I'd just have to rip my clothes off right away.

You sir are a madman...that's gooooood!

OP
S

sammy3170

what would be the limit?

If you back up and attempt to leave and he just keeps coming well then you just have to defend yourself. If your hands are up in a neutral sort of a way and you're verbalising that you're leaving, sorry or whatever and he keeps coming people around you are going to say that you didn't want to fight and as long as you use fair and reasonable force you have to do what you have to do. No amount of verbal abuse is ever enough to fight over and if s/he initially bumps you who cares.

I like the scene in Roadhouse where he's briefing the guys on how to behave. He says regardless you must 'be nice' and one guy says 'what if he calls my momma a whore' to which the reply comes 'is she?'. I just think people need to get over themselves because contrary to popular belief people don't like egotistical hard asses who want to fight all the time.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Sammy

OP
K

kenposcum

"Officer, I felt I was in danger of receiving a battery."
:asian:

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

when u back down, especially in front of many...ppl get an impression that ur weak and defenseless. which eventually attracts more of those punks. if in each confrontation, the limit isnt reached, then wont it build up after each one??

could that be a limit: too much all together, rather than too much at once?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I think that if your limit is based on what people around think or percieve, then you are not your own person anyway and are mising the point of MA alltegether.

7sm

OP
K

kenposcum

7sm, you goof!
No, a battery is a legal term for a beating, as in "Officer, I felt I was in danger of recieving a battery, which is why I punched this guy over here in the nose.":)

OP
S

sammy3170

when u back down, especially in front of many...ppl get an impression that ur weak and defenseless. which eventually attracts more of those punks. if in each confrontation, the limit isnt reached, then wont it build up after each one??

could that be a limit: too much all together, rather than too much at once?

I didn't say act weak and defenceless, I said back away and verbalise that you don't want to fight. You still have to have confidence in your voice. If it boosts his ego enough to avoid a fight then you have done a good job. If he keeps coming he gets what is coming to him and you have the backing of many witnesses in court who saw that you didn't want to fight.

And even if you do look a little weak and defenceless, who cares?

Cheers
Sammy

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well.... I've always felt that attackers are looking for an easy mark, looking weak and defenceless can often encourage bad things to happen as far as I'm concerned.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think keeping yourself out of a fight has to look weak and defensless. I can back away from a guy trying to start a fight and just look like I don't care, not that I'm scared or anything. Plus, others will see your strength over his weakness.

JMO
7sm

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree 7starmantis, my post was in response to the post before mine that stated "And even if you do look a little weak and defenceless, who cares?"

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score

I agree 7starmantis, my post was in response to the post before mine that stated "And even if you do look a little weak and defenceless, who cares?"

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

I am afraid, I will have to agree with Damian here. The idea is to voice loudly and confidently, "No, just back off, I don't want to fight you!"
Be confident, don't be a victim.
--Dave:asian:

OP
S

sammy3170

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Again my point has been missed. Many people see backing down a sign of weakness. If he says give me your stool or I will punch your head in then give it to him. I am not saying get on your knees and lick his boots.

Cheers
Sammy

Latest Discussions