How dangerous is a typical street fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know I never get this typical street fight thing. People walking backwards and spewing profanity seems to be the modern day view, of something that pretty much does not exist. Then again, I do not understand the MA concept of a street fight. Hey I am not proclaiming anything, I just defend myself because I do not need violence. I just don't get why some people have this view of a street fighter, Nintendo generation maybe. Do Martial Artists think of the street, I'd say no, but can somebody please explain

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know I never get this typical street fight thing. People walking backwards and spewing profanity seems to be the modern day view, of something that pretty much does not exist. Then again, I do not understand the MA concept of a street fight. Hey I am not proclaiming anything, I just defend myself because I do not need violence. I just don't get why some people have this view of a street fighter, Nintendo generation maybe. Do Martial Artists think of the street, I'd say no, but can somebody please explain

I would think martial Artist would go out of their way to avoid fightingat least thats always been stressed in any dojo Ive ever been in. Its really not that hard to do. Dont act like a jack hole, dont frequent places that bring that type of behavior, and dont fall into the mines bigger then yours game.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think martial Artist would go out of their way to avoid fightingat least thats always been stressed in any dojo Ive ever been in. Its really not that hard to do. Dont act like a jack hole, dont frequent places that bring that type of behavior, and dont fall into the mines bigger then yours game.

With respect, but that is just common sense. I am after the street sense :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly whom needs it anyway. Look (sorry just me again) an eye gouge when opponent on top, why is that not feasible, or have I just missed the point?

Eye gouges from the bottom can be feasible if you set them up correctly, but if the top person is controlling the position effectively they tend to be suboptimal. In the position drop bear is describing (him on top of guard, grinding the top of his head into the other guy's face), the bottom person doesn't have a really good angle for attacking the eyes and the top person can defend fairly easily by turning his face and hiding his eyes against the bottom person's chest.

If the bottom person had been a skilled guard practitioner, he could have used hip and head control to set up the distance and angles he needed to attack the eyes more effectively. It doesn't sound like this was the case in this situation.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eye gouges from the bottom can be feasible if you set them up correctly, but if the top person is controlling the position effectively they tend to be suboptimal. In the position drop bear is describing (him on top of guard, grinding the top of his head into the other guy's face), the bottom person doesn't have a really good angle for attacking the eyes and the top person can defend fairly easily by turning his face and hiding his eyes against the bottom person's chest.

If the bottom person had been a skilled guard practitioner, he could have used hip and head control to set up the distance and angles he needed to attack the eyes more effectively. It doesn't sound like this was the case in this situation.

Ah, yeah sorry for my ignorance, I thought drop bear was underneath.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If you invert your hands (place the thumbs near the ears point your fingers towards the face) and then use your fingers to attack the eyes. The position Drop Bear claims he was in is perfect for that hand placement. Now if he puts his face into the chest to hide his eyes then you fip your hands again and slid the thumbs between the face and the chest and find the eyes. IF You wanted to attack the eyes that is

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on you're interpretation of what I have said. There are senses everywhere!

Naaa come ride with me at work for a few hours Ill take you to places where there hasnt been any common sense or sense in general in decades

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you invert your hands (place the thumbs near the ears point your fingers towards the face) and then use your fingers to attack the eyes. The position Drop Bear claims he was in is perfect for that hand placement. Now if he puts his face into the chest to hide his eyes then you fip your hands again and slid the thumbs between the face and the chest and find the eyes. IF You wanted to attack the eyes that is

It's possible to get the eyes from there, but it's awkward and the top person has a variety of options for defending. If the person on the bottom has actual guard skills, they can potentially set it up effectively, but an untrained person who just instinctively wraps up guard because he watches the UFC may not do so well. It's difficult to explain the nuances in print. If we were working together in person, I could demonstrate much more easily.

I've spent a lot of time working on this position over the years, probably a lot more than 99% of the members of this forum. Whether or not you choose to believe me, I'm offering a perspective based on experience.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's possible to get the eyes from there, but it's awkward and the top person has a variety of options for defending. If the person on the bottom has actual guard skills, they can potentially set it up effectively, but an untrained person who just instinctively wraps up guard because he watches the UFC may not do so well. It's difficult to explain the nuances in print. If we were working together in person, I could demonstrate much more easily.

I've spent a lot of time working on this position over the years, probably a lot more than 99% of the members of this forum. Whether or not you choose to believe me, I'm offering a perspective based on experience.

I agree that's why I said of you really want to attack the eyes. It's not the best but if your really really want the eyes for some reason that's easier then other hand positions. But again not my idea of a good time

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Outside on concrete.

Ive heard stories where guys have been hit once on the chin, fell down unconscious, banged their head on the concrete and died.

But then again I see fights nearly everytime I go out, so they cant be that dangerous.

Also when 2 guys face off one person doesnt want to kill the other person just beat him up, punish him etc.

What are the chances of dying in a 1 on 1 street fight?

Well I have seen broken bones of almost every description come out of street fights. Bumps and brusies both physical and mental from fights. Eyes that where gouged, ears that where bitten, hair that has been pulled out and wigs that have been pulled off. I have been lucky enough not to have seen anyone killed.
I would think that as with anything that involves humans a person could be killed at some time but I would estimate the percentage of kills to average fights would be very small

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah he wasn't doing much with the guard. But I was pretty based out as well. (I was on my toes) he was also trying a reach around eye gouge.

Which made the situation for me even weirder. Because I am looking around and I can see mostly people I know pulling us apart. And here I am getting eyegouged from behind. And I was suspecting it was a friendly fire incident. So anyway because of that I am then resisting they guys pulling us apart. So they think I am being a dick. And I think they are being a dick. And all a big misunderstanding there.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that's why I said of you really want to attack the eyes. It's not the best but if your really really want the eyes for some reason that's easier then other hand positions. But again not my idea of a good time

I was twisting and it was slipping straight off.

The throat if you can get it. Because it gets the weight off. And creates some space. Which is the issue. And then I could not have gotten my head in there.

And it is harder to pass. Say for example I was being some sort of monster and laying in with headbutts or something. The eyegouge gets my head back until you run out of arm. And then you become open for a shot.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think you would be doing back bends. With the first one.

I would suggest thumb in the eye finger in the ear so you have a control. Not something I do though.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah he wasn't doing much with the guard. But I was pretty based out as well. (I was on my toes) he was also trying a reach around eye gouge.

Which made the situation for me even weirder. Because I am looking around and I can see mostly people I know pulling us apart. And here I am getting eyegouged from behind. And I was suspecting it was a friendly fire incident. So anyway because of that I am then resisting they guys pulling us apart. So they think I am being a dick. And I think they are being a dick. And all a big misunderstanding there.
So we're you being eye gouged by the guy your on the ground with or soemone from behind or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions