What goes through your head in a street fight?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That event happened in the summer of 1984 (more than 31 years ago). I was young back then. I may think more as you have suggested if it happens today.

The interested thing is, Was that

- fighting? There were no punches exchanged.
- self-defense? I wasn't defend for myself.

The guy attacked the girl, I attacked the guy. I don't know what I should call this.

I'd call it defending another, which is also one of those things I've been taught is a Good Thing to do.

In certain country, gun is not available.

I know. I've lived in such countries. It's sad.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There you go. :)

Yeah, I forgot that grannies like to pack heat;

438c1796aebce049bb3184a7da2ab97e.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my grannie!

Grandma.jpg

But please, tell your granny to get her finger OUT of the trigger guard...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
to answer the OP the only thought that came to me when i was put in the situation of a street fight was " survive at all costs and if that means putting the other people in the hospital so be it"
Time for reflection on what may have been done to prevent the situation and what else I might have done could/would come after it was all over and i was in a safe place once again.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree! Sometime we just have to take certain risk in our life time. I love the battle speech in the Braveheart movie.

"Fight, you may die. Run, you live, at least for a while, and die in your bed many years from now ..."

This short film makers me to feel that if I was on that bus and I didn't do anything, I may live for the rest of my life with shame.

Why did I watch that film..now I'm angry lol. I see a lot of videos from china with that same mentality and it burns me up. The video below may be what the short film was based on. I don't know how people can just sit by and do nothing.
I removed the video because I forgot there are some youngins on the site. But if you look up
" Chinese girl rape the crowd just stood watching no one helps" on youtube then you will see the video of people not helping.
Here's one that's has a good ending

When I see people in trouble I think of my own family. I understand that could be someone I know or someone in my family and I would want someone to help them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I see people in trouble I think of my own family.

I'd call it defending another, which is also one of those things I've been taught is a Good Thing to do.

Sometime I though the spirit of "侠(Xia) - take risk to help others" no longer exists in the 21th century. People like you guys bring "hope" back into humanity. You guys posts just make me so happy.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why did I watch that film..now I'm angry lol. I see a lot of videos from china with that same mentality and it burns me up. The video below may be what the short film was based on. I don't know how people can just sit by and do nothing.

When I was in China for a bit last year, that kind of "don't-give-a-crap about strangers" attitude was prevalent - I was only in 3 cities within one province (Suzhou, Nanjing and Shanhai), so it may be different elsewhere. My theory is that it's simply because of how populated the place is - I was getting pushed out the way on the undergound, at work waiting for the lift, seeing people let their kids crap in the street, driving motorbikes on the pavement and kids peeing in plantpots within the Shangai TV Tower!!

You'd have to be pretty set in that mindset to ignore an attack as serious as rape. Not that I'm in any way justifying it.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Definitely for someone who is 80 years old. lol

The sad fact about guns is that they're just as likely (if not more so) to harm someone you don't intend it to harm than some perpetrator trying to take something from you.

Toss in paranoia and mental degradation that occurs with advanced age, and you have a potential recipe for disaster.

No, it's better to teach an elderly person how to fight without guns, so that they don't live in a constant state of fear, or become overly reliant on such weapons for protection.

As for that Bus video, that same thing happens everywhere, not just in Asia. There was a famous case where a man beat a woman to death on a bridge in front of thousands of Americans, and no one did anything.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
- Can I rob him after I have won this fight?
- How much money do I think he may have in his pocket?

This reminds me of my wife when she plays video games. "How dare those bandits attack me when they don't have anything worth looting after I've killed them all?"

I tell her that if they had any money they wouldn't be so desperate as to try mugging someone who they just saw kill a dragon.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was in China for a bit last year, that kind of "don't-give-a-crap about strangers" attitude was prevalent - ...driving motorbikes on the pavement ....

Er...where else would you drive them?

Ohh. You must be in the UK. Over there I've heard that "pavement" refers to what we call the sidewalk. ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This reminds me of my wife when she plays video games. "How dare those bandits attack me when they don't have anything worth looting after I've killed them all?"

I tell her that if they had any money they wouldn't be so desperate as to try mugging someone who they just saw kill a dragon.
One joke that I always like:

- Dear! Don't run in the central park. People always get mobbed. It's not safe there.
- That's why I'm going over there. I'm a bit short on cash.

One night I was walking in the dark street of Rio de Janeiro by myself. One guy stood against the wall. He looked at my watch ($160 Seiko), looked at me, and then turned his head away as if not worthy to rob me. The next evening, I had nothing better to do. I went to the same street, stood against the wall. Not only street people tried to stay away from me as far as they could. Even those stranger guys who stood against the wall soon all left one after another. I then realized that I was either considered as "the bad guy" or an under cover cop.

That life experience taught me that bad guys have fear too. It's not proper to live in fear and always treat ourselves as pray and treat others as predators.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The sad fact about guns is that they're just as likely (if not more so) to harm someone you don't intend it to harm than some perpetrator trying to take something from you.

Toss in paranoia and mental degradation that occurs with advanced age, and you have a potential recipe for disaster.

No, it's better to teach an elderly person how to fight without guns, so that they don't live in a constant state of fear, or become overly reliant on such weapons for protection.

As for that Bus video, that same thing happens everywhere, not just in Asia. There was a famous case where a man beat a woman to death on a bridge in front of thousands of Americans, and no one did anything.
It's a shame. After I read this, I did a google search and read a few articles of it happening in the U.S. It turns my stomach. People just standing there doing nothing while someone is being raped. People like that should have the favor returned.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One joke that I always like:

- Dear! Don't run in the central park. People always get mobbed. It's not safe there.
- That's why I'm going over there. I'm a bit short on cash.

One night I was walking in the dark street of Rio de Janeiro by myself. One guy stood against the wall. He looked at my watch ($160 Seiko), looked at me, and then turned his head away as if not worthy to rob me. The next evening, I had nothing better to do. I went to the same street, stood against the wall. Not only street people tried to stay away from me as far as they could. Even those stranger guys who stood against the wall soon all left one after another. I then realized that I was either considered as "the bad guy" or an under cover cop.

That life experience taught me that bad guys have fear too. It's not proper to live in fear and always treat ourselves as pray and treat others as predators.
It would be interesting to see a survey about how people think of themselves when they go out. Hunter or hunted?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see a survey about how people think of themselves when they go out. Hunter or hunted?
It may depend on whether you are rich or poor, single or married. Old saying said, "Those who wear shoes should never mess with those who is bare foot". You will have more courage if you have less to lose.

Last edited:

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Tony tell your wife to kill spiders they always have gold for some reason. In response to the op in my younger years nothing went through my mind when it came to a fight. I just fought as it was the norm in my neighborhood, since then I have matured and based on those instances from my past I can read a situation better. In my time since beginning MA I have only once have to fight and in that case there was no real thought. It was almost like I was on autopilot and my training was driving.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What goes through your head in a "street fight"?

Honestly, there are, I think, literally only two options.

1. "Weeeeee!"
or
2. "Oh (#&&^*&^(&#(&!!!!!"