Fighting stance question....

T

Tony Starks

When im sparring and im in my fighting stance, i seem to bounce around and at time go in circles. Now my question is, is better to stand still and then strike or is it better to move around. I wanted to know how all of u felt about this and what u think is effective (im kinda new to martial arts).

Thx
-T.S.

OP
S

Shinzu

i hard question for me to answer tony. i have seen many people "bounce" when they fight and i have seen others stay flat footed. i feel that when i "bounce" i am more off balance. i tend to stay flat footed, but i move around alot. i am not sure what is better. i guess it depends on your fighting preference.
whatever makes you a better fighter in the end is what you should go with.

OP
S

Senfeng

Sometimes I shift my stance to entice my opponent to "attempt" to sweep me. I'm usually moving in or around my opponent. This may be just me, but I've noticed that when I stay still, my opponent is better prepared for my attack. He can easily pick up any movement I make.

OP
S

Shinzu

good point. there is always room for improvement in my fighting techniques :)

OP
E

Elfan

Well the alternative to circling with them is having them behind you which is probably a lot worse.

The stability vs. mobility (ie a low stance vs dancing around like a boxer) is something that you have to varry with the situation and environment. I don't think I would ever bounce around though.

Did that adress what you were asking?

OP
T

Tony Starks

yes it did, thx a lot for the replies

OP
C

chufeng

Tony,

Those who bounce are easy targets...it is simply a matter of timing your attack on the bounce up...once they are moving up, they cannot change directions (if you telegraph your technique, though, you may walk into a kick...be careful).

Those who are "flat-footed" might be easy targets, too...it depends on whether they are loading their stance or just standing in a "dead stance."

You should adjust your distance with movement, but keep good stances under you; and when standing still, keep your legs loaded.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

There are many factors.
its good to bounce around becuase it allows quick response to attacks.
standing around is something a proffesional usually does because they are quick already. u should try to not be predictable, like putting your leg back preparing for a kick.
what i learned is to show nothing, dont show fatigue, nor the next move. thats all in stance

OP
C

chufeng

MuayThai:

You said:
"its good to bounce around becuase it allows quick response to attacks."

In some arts, it's expected (like boxing or MuayThai)...but a trained fighter will learn to exploit the bouncer.

The explanation I got from my father (a boxing coach) was that if you stay light on your feet, you will absorb less punishment and you can move faster...

But if you are at the apex of your bounce (on your toes and just starting to come down), HOW will you change directions? Your feet have to be planted first.

If you watch the professional boxers, you will see that the time spent on the toes is done to TIRE the opponent.
When the boxer is serious about delivering punishment, the heels sink into the floor and BOOM...

In the martial arts, we are not interested in dancing around a ring...a fight should last NO MORE than 15 seconds.

Don't confuse ring tournaments with real life.
Even in MuayThai, on the street, the MuayThai practitioner will go for the FAST finishing technique...that does not include bouncing.

Bouncing has it's place...if you want to go to tournaments where POINTS are awarded...bounce.
If you plan to tire an opponent out in the ring...bounce.

Otherwise, keep a stable base under you.

:asian;
chufeng

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shinzu wrote:

i hard question for me to answer tony. i have seen many people "bounce" when they fight and i have seen others stay flat footed. i feel that when i "bounce" i am more off balance. i tend to stay flat footed, but i move around alot. i am not sure what is better. i guess it depends on your fighting preference.
whatever makes you a better fighter in the end is what you should go with.

I would have to agree with you on this. I am a "flat footer", but yet, I switch stance and do a lot of "fakes". I hate bouncing.

Like Chufeng said. I feel when people bounce, they are easy targets. I can knock them off their feet with a well placed side kick when they are bouncing. I do WTF TKD, which does a lot of the "bouncing exercises" but I don't agree with it. I do it cause I'm told, but when I spar, I stay flat footed (rooted). I just "time" my techniques rather than look like a dang jumping bean.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng

Bouncing has it's place...if you want to go to tournaments where POINTS are awarded...bounce.

That's not especially useful in point fighting either. Usually just telegraphs your movement and techniques.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bouncing is awful in street fighting. Check out how many grapplers bounce. None. You will be mown down if you bounce. You can get away with it in boxing because there are no points awarded for charging your opponent into the canvas.

Sideways or circling movement is a different thing altogether.

You must move and stay balanced as if you were standing still. This is why footwork is a skill, it's not easy to master, but it is probably the most important part of strategy.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

MuayThai:

You said:
"its good to bounce around becuase it allows quick response to attacks."

In some arts, it's expected (like boxing or MuayThai)...but a trained fighter will learn to exploit the bouncer.

The explanation I got from my father (a boxing coach) was that if you stay light on your feet, you will absorb less punishment and you can move faster...

But if you are at the apex of your bounce (on your toes and just starting to come down), HOW will you change directions? Your feet have to be planted first.

If you watch the professional boxers, you will see that the time spent on the toes is done to TIRE the opponent.
When the boxer is serious about delivering punishment, the heels sink into the floor and BOOM...

In the martial arts, we are not interested in dancing around a ring...a fight should last NO MORE than 15 seconds.

Don't confuse ring tournaments with real life.
Even in MuayThai, on the street, the MuayThai practitioner will go for the FAST finishing technique...that does not include bouncing.

If you plan to tire an opponent out in the ring...bounce.

Otherwise, keep a stable base under you.

:asian;
chufeng

listen to this guy right here. he's right. i meant its good to bound around in the ring. but street fight.....get it over as fast as you can:asian:

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I read the theory in a Pa Kua Chang book, and I guess Yiliquan footwork theory is Pa Kua Chang based, right?

In practice I know the theory works from doing Judo. Traditional kung fu takes into account grappling and multiple attacks, wheras 'bouncers' everywhere are ignoring reality.

It's fine within the confines of ring arts, and I've got nothing against boxers who shuffle, but they tend not to shuffle while within punching distance.

OP
W

WhiteTiger

Tony,

Those who bounce are easy targets...it is simply a matter of timing your attack on the bounce up...once they are moving up, they cannot change directions (if you telegraph your technique, though, you may walk into a kick...be careful).

:asian:
chufeng

This is good advice, it is important to stay light-footed and mobile but bouncing is a bad habbit to get into, invarably you fall into a timing pattern with your movement and a good apponent can use this to his advantage. With that said, don't be afraid of using a bouncing movement to draw in and set-up an opponent for a counter kick. Key is Don't be Predictable!

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bod

I read the theory in a Pa Kua Chang book, and I guess Yiliquan footwork theory is Pa Kua Chang based, right?

Yiliquan is comprised of Baixingquan, Xingyiquan, Taijiquan and Baguazhang, but is most heavily influenced by Xingyi and Bagua.

OP
Y

yilisifu

When you bounce, your ability to time your opponent's movements and strike him at his moment of vulnerability is eliminated. And it makes YOU vulnerable because HE can easily time YOUR movements.

Personally, I think those who bounce a lot are watching too much Winnie-the-Pooh:

"The wonderful things about tiggers
is tigger are wonderful thing;
Their tops are made out of rubber,
their bottoms are made out of springs!
They bouncey, bouncey, bouncey,.....":rofl:

Latest Discussions