What goes through your head in a street fight?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That people don't help in a situation when they 'should' is called the Bystander Effect.
What Is the Bystander Effect?

Violence often causes people to freeze even when it's not them being attacked so many prefer 'not to see' when someone is being attacked. However there are plenty of cases where people have helped, we've had incidents where in accident, a crowd has moved a bus to free someone trapped underneath and there's others who have gone for an attacker.
It may also be a matter of training, I live near the largest garrison in Europe, we have soldiers everywhere most of the time, shopping, taking kids to school, skiving lol etc so just about every vehicle accident that happens you can guarantee a squaddie or two will be there, organising first aid, directing traffic etc. while the civilians look on. In criminal attacks they will also wade in. It's second nature to do something. I was in the Forces and the training means instead of waiting for others you do the job that needs to be done. It's just instinctive, military training does that and good martial arts and self defence training helps to 'wade in' effectively and as safely as possible.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know it happens, but I've never actually seen an assault (at least a violent one) where bystanders just stood by and watched. I've seen a whole bunch where the public screamed and called for help and a whole lot more where bystanders went into serious action. A couple of times that action being as brutal as the original assault.

Reminiscing sometimes make me smile. :)

The White Ghost

White Belt
Reaction score
In a fight, a true fight to the death, I shut down the part of my brain that thinks and rely solely on the part that acts. I am also quite thankful to the stupidity of my opponents. When faced with multiple foes they tend to attack one at a time.

Latest Discussions