A Magical Martial Art: Is There Such A Thing?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by MJS, Mar 25, 2010.

1. kungfu penguin

kungfu penguin Green Belt

if find that the harder you work at it the better you become at it and that my friend is the magic the magic is the transformation! of your thoughts, abilities, body, spirit, etc... every time i go into a new studio i see magic here or there just a speckle of it never full blown but i live for those little magic moments when a 5 year old accomplishs a kick without falling or a teen accomplishes some technique, kata, kick, etc..notice i did not say master i said accomplish the gleam at the 1st ah ha moment is the best thing i love to see
    i do find that the harder you work at it the more magic will happen.

PS tha'ts why i study hocus pocus ryu :ultracool

2. MattJ

MattJ Brown Belt

Good post. Ironically, two of my main sparring partners were TKD guys, who were both very good. It wasn't until I started travelling the internet MA forums that I found that TKD had a poor reputation. I similarly did not know that kenpo had a bad reputation, and this was equally shocking to my friends, LOL.

I do not believe there are any magic martial arts, either. The magic is in what you do with your training.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JWLuiza

JWLuiza Black Belt

I used to be a snob (ok, I still am) but I find it more enlightening to be a thief. The more knowledge I get, the more I realize it's all the same stuff, sometimes just wrapped a little differently. I'll see a drill I like and I'll snatch it up and take it back with me. Bam! I'm a klepto! I didn't know much about Kenpo and kind of had a general negative impression, but I watched some videos of drills and like the direction their training goes.

4. MJS

MJS Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    IMO, you hit the nail on the head Bill, when you spoke of the experience. I dont feel that its always martial arts experience, but life experience. Sadly, I think that alot of the people that're looking for that quick fix, and young, and easily impressed with things that they see.

5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Sure they do

One is from star trek and the others are from Anime.

If you want magical and mystical there it is

However Reality... that is something different all together.

6. Xue Sheng

NOTHING...compared to the secret art of Xuefu :D

7. MJS

Agreed, but the sad thing is, is that these people will not learn, no matter what those that're more experienced tell them.

8. MJS

1) Thats correct. There is so much out there, that its like a kid in a candy or toy store. They see so much, their eyes get so big, and they want it all. However, its impossible to have it all. IMO, its fine to do more than 1 thing..I do it, but I'm also realistic about it, not trying to kid myself. I've devoted lots of time to one thing, before I even thought of adding in something else, and even then, I still do not consider myself a master at any of them. :) Still a student, learning all the time. :)

The people looking for the quick fix are either trying to find 1 art that they feel has it all, yet those arts are few and far between, or they want 1 best art that addresses punching, 1 for kicking, 1 for grappling, etc., etc. I have to wonder where they plan on getting all their time to train. LOL.

2) I didn't intend on addressing that, although I may have indirectly. :) I suppose those people will think that in addition to the magic art, that having the BB will also mean that they'll be more invinsible. LOL.

9. MJS

I'll use Krav Maga as an example. While its been said that its easy to do, the techs. are short, sweet and to the point, IMO, that still doesn't mean that practice can be neglected. However, I've said the same thing before as well...that I dont feel that someone should have to spend 20yrs in an art before they can defend themselves. So, I'll use my art, Kenpo, as another example. I'm sure I could take the art, and teach some quick effective things to my wife. Basically it would require stripping the fat, and focusing on the meat, and drilling, driiling, and more drilling, the **** out of the material.

Agreed 100% on this part. :)

Exactly. :)

10. teekin

teekin 3rd Black Belt

Hmmmm. Ok I'm going to take the other side here. I AM that kid in the candy store. The more I See, the more roads open up to me, the more I want to explore. I can see where I am soooo deficient and I want to correct that.
    I disagree that some arts are not more Usefull than others. My girlfriend Sharron works in the roughest part of town, full of drunks, sniffers, addicts and criminals. She is a crisis worker. I want her to take Boxing,/Mauy Tia, BJJ, Judo, Isshin Ryu Karate.

I want her to NOT freeze when she is hit hard in the face or body, I want her to be able to absorb punishment and stay clam and think. Boxing is ideal for this, your opponent doesn't stop comming, you must think under fire and you Will get hit. I want her to return fire on instinct and be effective. This can be taught quickly by a good teacher and has immediate application. A good right cross will deter a mugger. That is where the Tai comes in. Tai kicks are brutal, you can mess up some one bad with a decent kick. So are knees and elbows in a clinch. I like Tai. A Lot.

BJJ cause I want her to be able to stay calm on her back and in a choke. Too many people panick on their back and if thier wind is cut off. I don't want her to panick. I want her to think and survive. She needs to know how to clear a choke and get back to her feet. If she can break the guys arm on the way great. It has immediate applications. You learn to stop panicking the 1st time you are put on your back and put in a held down.

Judo will keep her fom being taken to the ground to begin with but it takes a long time to be good at and is wieght sensitive. I love Judo but I see it's short comings.
    Isshin Ryu is another very complete picture but will take a long time to be good at and never be mastered. Is a wonderful Art though.

Yes she must actually GO to the class. But I expect the teacher to TEACH her, show her where to put her feet and her hands, explain body mechanics, put his hands on her if nessessary and guide her through the motions. Praise her for a job well done. If she is left to sink or swim with no feed back and no sense of accomplishment why would she return?

Lori

11. JWLuiza

JWLuiza Black Belt

Sometimes it is smart to not come back. I was very interested in Koryu Bujutsu, but I realized after talking to a very famous practitioner, that I didn't have a lifestyle conducive to what drew me to the Koryu. So I stopped pursuing instruction. If they dont come back, you didn't want them in the first place :)

12. Draven

Draven Green Belt

I do this with my jujitsu system, strip away the fat and drill the techniques. A lot of what we have in the MA world is marketing politics; I don't think time is a factor as much as hardwork. The issue with politics is that politicing deviates you from the main issue, the only issue, which is what is the result..?

If we quit looking at the market puffery (yeah the dominoes commercial is one) we then see specifc trends; that resemble nothing more then market posturing to distract us from the end result. I'll use sport karate & sport judo as an example; sport karate schools always referred to karate tournaments as proof of karate's effectiveness & the same applied to sport judo (the striker/grappler arguement is very old) & what makes both systems sport systems is that they focus on "high precentage techniques;" which are techniques which are most effective in that sports competition, sure they teach the older combative methods but they withhold it until after 1st Dan. The problem is when you look at Kodokan Judo it included atemi-waza taught at a much sooner level then say Olympic/Sport Judo leading people to believe that judo doesn't have striking & the same for the origional format of Shotokan Karate not including grappling. All because schools need students at lower levels to win in competition to draw in more students.

13. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I can call you jaded.

But....I'd rather call you Bill. ;)

In all honesty, yes I have met people that confused (not sure if that is the best word). Even been on the mat with them. I think the "what art does these gazillion things" posters here are probably male, and probably 20ish and could very well be looking for something that doesn't exist.

The folks that I have met in person that have not had a very realistic perception as to what martial arts are were typically female, in their 30s/40s, and weren't looking for the impossible.

Instead, they had recently heard ethereal claims about a system, or saw a demo (or a parlor trick) that made some element to training look like magic...such as brick-breaking. The yellow page ads that brag about how MA training does this, this, this, this, this...don't always help with these misconceptions. The conversation was usually started the other person knew I trained, or saw me with a school shirt/bag.

I think they knew that the impression they had was a bit lofty, but at the same time they did not know what was realistic or not...and seemed happy to talk to someone that wasn't trying to sell them something.

14. Big Don

Big Don Sr. Grandmaster

Still pushing (er, promoting) that? :p

15. teekin

teekin 3rd Black Belt

• Like Like x 1
  16. Xue Sheng

Don't need to...its awesomeness speaks for itself... not to mention having at its core pure evil :EG: :D

17. Balrog

Balrog Master of Arts

18. Xue Sheng

:lfao:

19. Xinglu

Xinglu Black Belt

My favorite part was his challenge to Rickson Gracie.

Then... I found this link at the bottom of the page... now I have seen some bad scams.... but this one takes the cake.123