5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes he does.

I don't appeal to his views formed in isolation, but after actual experience where he got annihilated.

Do you really think what he said is what you have been saying?

I do wonder.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You could also argue Thai kicks are "soccer kicks". just usually with a step and larger hip motion when compared to TKD.
The whole soccer kick criticism is bs to me. If you get the top kickers from a lot of disciplines you'll find their roundhouse kick and the mechanics behind them starts to look the same.

Meh. Their low kicks are terrific but beyond that I don't argue for Muay Thais superiority based on kicks....

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Meh. Their low kicks are terrific but beyond that I don't argue for Muay Thais superiority based on kicks....
Thats why i said top kickers. People like saenchai are freaks and have great kicks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats why i said top kickers. People like saenchai are freaks and have great kicks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I still say fully chambered mid section kick generate more power than a "Thai hip" - one. But this of course assumes that that the executor is equally at home doing both.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's your failing to understand the system, not a failing of the system.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

A formal TKD system is not designed to combat boxing combinations, or else this would be reflected in the forms, which only cover one-strike type of sequences typical of self defence scenario against amateurs.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're planning on dan grading and don't own a groin protector. Hmm.

Lots of people don't. I neither wear nor require a cup. And yes, I've been kicked in the balls. It mostly pisses me off.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen Rogans turning kick and he is not even close in power to mine.

I wish I had the ability to watch a video of a kick and discern how powerful it is.

tm7o0.gif

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen Rogans turning kick and he is not even close in power to mine.

You cannot really judge how much power is in a kick just from watching a video of some bag work.
Given your self-contradictory statements about how powerful your kicks are vs their failure when you use them in sparring, I suspect you cannot even judge how powerful your own kicks are.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You cannot really judge how much power is in a kick just from watching a video of some bag work.
Given your self-contradictory statements about how powerful your kicks are vs their failure when you use them in sparring, I suspect you cannot even judge how powerful your own kicks are.

That's not true. By way of analogy, even knockout boxers rarely KO with their first punch. I have only kicked this guy clean ONCE, and he is trained in full contact.

These are the kicks I was referring to:

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A formal TKD system is not designed to combat boxing combinations, or else this would be reflected in the forms, which only cover one-strike type of sequences typical of self defence scenario against amateurs.
In your experience to date.

If you truly and deeply understand the system, you can apply it in any situation.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lots of people don't. I neither wear nor require a cup. And yes, I've been kicked in the balls. It mostly pisses me off.
How often are you sparring full contact?

Surely with your medical experience you must appreciate the risks involved.

Regardless of how good one might be, accidents happen. Wearing a protector is just good practice for anyone who spars contact kicking.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How often are you sparring full contact?

Every week, generally.

Surely with your medical experience you must appreciate the risks involved.

I do. And they're not nearly as dire or as common as some people seem to think.

Regardless of how good one might be, accidents happen. Wearing a protector is just good practice for anyone who spars contact kicking.

I don't wear body armor either.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score

Nor do I. I never understood why the WTF enforces them. Is it because competitors don't wear shoes and foots aren't conditioned enough?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Every week, generally.

I do. And they're not nearly as dire or as common as some people seem to think.

I view groin protection as the minimum. I've seen enough people have to go to hospital / have operations, and been kicked hard enough to put me out of action for a couple of days.

If you don't use one, you're taking a very unnecessary risk with something I personally don't want to gamble with. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it can't. Ask Bill Wallace.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nor do I. I never understood why the WTF enforces them. Is it because competitors don't wear shoes and foots aren't conditioned enough?
It's because full contact kicking at elite competitive level a) can easily break bones and b) would leave the competitor injured and compromised for further bouts

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I view groin protection as the minimum. I've seen enough people have to go to hospital / have operations, and been kicked hard enough to put me out of action for a couple of days.

It makes more sense to wear one under WTF sparring rules IMO.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It makes more sense to wear one under WTF sparring rules IMO.
If you are sparring full contact, you should be wearing one. Inside the dobok.

You might think you're good, but contact kicking requires two people; a good opponent should be unpredictable and there's always that chance of misjudgement from both parties simultaneously.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's because full contact kicking at elite competitive level a) can easily break bones and b) would leave the competitor injured and compromised for further bouts

On the competitiors foot you mean? Why not just wear kickboxing shoes like ITF? I would be very impressed if my sparring partner breaks any bones on my body with those shoes on.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
The biggest mystery in WTF is the headgear.

A) it does not prevent knockouts. B) The peripheral vision is handicapped, and in a sport like TKD where techniques can come from crazy angles, headgear creates blind spots.

C) Studies have shown that boxers who wear headgears are more negligent with their guard, and thus increases likelihood of brain damage due to unneccesary blows being taken.

D) Boxing comittee for the Olympics removed them.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the competitiors foot you mean? Why not just wear kickboxing shoes like ITF? I would be very impressed if my sparring partner breaks any bones on my body with those shoes on.

Yet more in the long list of things you clearly do not understand. The gloves and feet worn for sparring protect the hands and feet of the striker. Not the ribs of the target.

Latest Discussions