5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He moved up the belts unusually fast and was allowed into tournaments fighting higher grades.
He began competing at 14, and retired at 21. Somewhere in there, he was allegedly Massachusetts state champion (although it remains unclear under what affiliation and against what calibre of Taekwondoin). Either way, even 7 years does not make one an authority worth citing, especially when speaking beyond the sport venue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He moved up the belts unusually fast and was allowed into tournaments fighting higher grades.
So did I. It means nothing. And it's not a case of allowed, that's called 'open' competition and involves the likelihood of fighting higher grades by definition.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
He began competing at 14, and retired at 21. Somewhere in there, he was allegedly Massachusetts state champion (although it remains unclear under what affiliation and against what calibre of Taekwondoin). Either way, even 7 years does not make one an authority worth citing, especially when speaking beyond the sport venue.

Point is he was better than your average TKD guy from the street and was pretty hopeless against regular Kickboxers. My Kickboxing guy dominates me in my own rule set because of his hands.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Point is he was better than your average TKD guy from the street and was pretty hopeless against regular Kickboxers. My Kickboxing guy dominates me in my own rule set because of his hands.
Point is, not necessarily. The thing about legitimate champions is they can name the event, the date, the division, etc, especially where the event was WTF sanctioned. Without that, state champion could mean a small time tournament with only 1 or 2 people in the division or even a buy.

There's not much special there.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Point is, not necessarily. The thing about legitimate champions is they can name the event, the date, the division, etc, especially where the event was WTF sanctioned. Without that, state champion could mean a small time tournament with only 1 or 2 people in the division or even a buy.

There's not much special there. JR's TKD record is distinctly muddy, and that makes me suspicious.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen Rogans turning kick and he is not even close in power to mine. Did not help me one ioutta against a guy who had fundamental boxing skills. And we spar with no protective gear or gums, or headgear.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was a state champion.
Okay, so his comments about TKD fighters might have some merit, but might be based on a fairly small segment. Anyone know about the level and type of TKD tournaments he was in?

And how many years did he train TKD?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so his comments about TKD fighters might have some merit, but might be based on a fairly small segment. Anyone know about the level and type of TKD tournaments he was in?

And how many years did he train TKD?

Rogan trained in a sparring format that prohibits face punches. The thing is that I don't, and it only helped me psychologically, not functionally.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have seen Rogans turning kick and he is not even close in power to mine. Did not help me one ioutta against a guy who had fundamental boxing skills. And we spar with no protective gear or gums, or headgear.
That's your failing to understand the system, not a failing of the system.

Sparring hands without a mouthpiece is just senseless, unless you are moderating contact. Which is it?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, from a TKD training standpoint, if someone was committing a lot of time to competition, what's their likely depth of knowledge in 7 years? I guess that depends how many hours he fit in.

(Okay, apparently I don't need anyone else in this conversation - I'll just keep answering my own questions!)

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's your failing to understand the system, not a failing of the system.

Sparring hands without a mouthpiece is just senseless, unless you are moderating contact. Which is it?

Sparring hands? He has kicked me squared in the jaw with a full swing:D Other guys tell me it's annoying to have mouth piece, for the breathing.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, from a TKD training standpoint, if someone was committing a lot of time to competition, what's their likely depth of knowledge in 7 years? I guess that depends how many hours he fit in.

(Okay, apparently I don't need anyone else in this conversation - I'll just keep answering my own questions!)
Not much at that age if they are not part of a national team. I think he was a hobbyist like everyone else.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score

He started before 14.. His competition years began as 14... He trained manically by his own admission.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Not much at that age if they are not part of a national team. I think he was a hobbyist like everyone else.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sparring hands? He has kicked me squared in the jaw with a full swing:D Other guys tell me it's annoying to have mouth piece, for the breathing.
It is a stupid risk not to use one.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a stupid risk not to use one.

My main priority is to invest in a groin guard, because it psychologically inhibits me from kicking at certain ranges against someone who kicks constantly and as hard as he can.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He started before 14.. His competition years began as 14... He trained manically by his own admission.
There are people on this board with relatives that young who regularly compete at WTF sanctioned events at elite level. Those people would be able to list out every event, every category and every result they have ever competed in / received. Information from JR is conspicuous by it's absence.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My main priority is to invest in a groin guard, because it psychologically inhibits me from kicking at certain ranges against someone who kicks constantly and as hard as he can.
Even more stupid. Speaks to your lack of experience.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You could also argue Thai kicks are "soccer kicks". just usually with a step and larger hip motion when compared to TKD.
The whole soccer kick criticism is bs to me. If you get the top kickers from a lot of disciplines you'll find their roundhouse kick and the mechanics behind them starts to look the same.

Joe Rogan and a lot of practitioners simply just didn't take it to that level.
You cannot expect to only train olympic tkd and olympic style ruleset, and then do the exact same thing in a kickboxing ring. You have to analyze and adapt. See which tools and skills will work best for you in this new format.
If you want to use your tkd skillset outside of your familiar format, you have to "take it there." Grow and train.

Olympic style sparring is what I credit for giving me all of my greatest weapons: footwork, distance control, and angles.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You could also argue Thai kicks are "soccer kicks". just usually with a step and larger hip motion when compared to TKD.
The whole soccer kick criticism is bs to me. If you get the top kickers from a lot of disciplines you'll find their roundhouse kick and the mechanics behind them starts to look the same.

Joe Rogan and a lot of practitioners simply just didn't take it to that level.
You cannot expect to only train olympic tkd and olympic style ruleset, and then do the exact same thing in a kickboxing ring. You have to analyze and adapt. See which tools and skills will work best for you in this new format.
If you want to use your tkd skillset outside of your familiar format, you have to "take it there." Grow and train.

Olympic style sparring is what I credit to for giving me

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are people on this board with relatives that young who regularly compete at WTF sanctioned events at elite level. Those people would be able to list out every event, every category and every result they have ever competed in / received. Information from JR is conspicuous by it's absence.

I don't think he sees a point in doing that to an interviewer who knows nothing about TaeKwondo sanctioned events.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You're planning on dan grading and don't own a groin protector. Hmm.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Even more stupid. Speaks to your lack of experience.

Again, plenty of people more experienced than me don't wear either one.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think he sees a point in doing that to an interviewer who knows nothing about TaeKwondo sanctioned events.
Rubbish. Successful competitors can show you a track record. He has been asked enough and never given detail.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Clearly they haven't had the 'experience' either.

People who kick "correctly" are less likely to kick the groin, Although it depends on what I do in-between, but If I stay calm

Latest Discussions