5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The biggest mystery in WTF is the headgear.

A) it does not prevent knockouts. B) The peripheral vision is handicapped, and in a sport like TKD where techniques can come from crazy angles, headgear creates blind spots.

C) Studies have shown that boxers who wear headgears are more negligent with their guard, and thus increases likelihood of brain damage due to unneccesary blows being taken.

D) Boxing comittee for the Olympics removed them.
The headgear combined with mouthpieces do well enough in protecting from major trauma when eating a kick or hitting the floor.

However, it does allow repeated blunt force trauma to the head. It allows you to take more damage than your brain normally would before it shuts you off. Which is not good and is the main danger in boxing a lot with that type of headgear.

In olympic tkd these repeated blows to the head in quick succession are not as much of an issue.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Double post.

Double Post.jpg

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think he sees a point in doing that to an interviewer who knows nothing about TaeKwondo sanctioned events.
What does he think interviews are for? Just for the interviewer? Or for the general public? Many people who conduct interviews don't know much about the subject the interviewee is talking about.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

A) it does not prevent knockouts.
It reduces the likelihood of death from collision between head and ground post KO.
B) The peripheral vision is handicapped, and in a sport like TKD where techniques can come from crazy angles, headgear creates blind spots.
TKD headgear does not limit vision if you have the right size.
C) Studies have shown that boxers who wear headgears are more negligent with their guard, and thus increases likelihood of brain damage due to unneccesary blows being taken.
This has nothing to do with WTF TKD. There is no equivalency.

Well whoop.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On the competitiors foot you mean? Why not just wear kickboxing shoes like ITF? I would be very impressed if my sparring partner breaks any bones on my body with those shoes on.
Dwi chagi.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Dunning-Kruger effect, how strange.

The Dunning Kruger effect is more applicable to you since you believe a no contact sparring format is realistic training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dunning Kruger effect is more applicable to you since you believe a no contact sparring format is realistic training.
At 4 years of training in a TMA, considering yourself a definitive voice on that art as a whole - much D-K going on.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

A) it does not prevent knockouts. B) The peripheral vision is handicapped, and in a sport like TKD where techniques can come from crazy angles, headgear creates blind spots.

According to my teacher, the founder of our organization was at an open tournament as a spectator. He saw a competitor get swept and land square on the back of his head. The competitor was unconscious and taken by ambulance to the hospital. The competitor has severe brain trauma and fractured his skull.

Our organization's founder immediately mandated head protection that fully covers the back of the head (not all do) during all free sparring and sparring competition. If it happens to ONE person, that's more than anyone wants.

Helmets are good. You don't need anyone to kick or punch you in the head to make them worthwhile.

Furthermore, boxing and karate don't have the same inherent risks. We practice on hardwood floors. We compete on hard gymnasium floors.

And if a helmet obstructs your vision, it's either a poor design or improper fit.

Wearing helmets leads to more concussions and long term issues because people aren't using them properly, not because the helmets themselves; people should be protecting themselves the same way as they would without the helmet. Put it on and forget it's there rather than putting it on so you can take more hits.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A guy having no-contact sparring format? Yeah, how strange...
I don't recall him or dirty dog (who commented with 45+ experience) stating they only do no contact sparring. In fact, I'm pretty sure dirty dog stated he has done full contact in the past.

Latest Discussions