5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
It does matter. I've seen guys who trained in TKD (not sport/for competition, but what they called 'traditional' TKD, who could beat me and some other fighters who had more experience. If your level of training and experience is not matching up with someone with the same level from a different style/school, that's normally an issue with you or your school, not your style.

Talking about Boxers/Kickboxers now. Never claimed TKD fails against every style. Joe said they had plenty of Kung Fu guys challenging them in the dojang and the Kung fu guys got a bitter taste of reality every single time. So it all depends what you measure it against. TKD on its own does not match up well against Kickboxing.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Talking about Boxers/Kickboxers now. Never claimed TKD fails against every style. Joe said they had plenty of Kung Fu guys challenging them in the dojang and the Kung fu guys got a bitter taste of reality every single time. So it all depends what you measure it against. TKD on its own does not match up well against Kickboxing.
My secondary style is kickboxing. The other fighters I was referring to include: Judo, Sambo, kickboxing, boxing, full-contact karate, and tae-kwon do. It was quite a diverse dojo.
Edit: No kung fu or muay thai though, so I suppose I don't know how it compares to those.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My secondary style is kickboxing. The other fighters I was referring to include: Judo, Sambo, kickboxing, boxing, full-contact karate, and tae-kwon do. It was quite a diverse dojo.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Edit: No kung fu or muay thai though, so I suppose I don't know how it compares to those.

A guy who learns even rudimentary boxing (and no, hitting mitts does not cut it) is VERY dangerous with TKD kicks. It's akin to teaching a wrestler jujitsu. But regular roundhouses in conjuction with boxing is perfectly fine as well.

But I do remember Rogan relaying that the Kung Fu challengers were stubborn and got very badly hurt, and that it was an unpleasent and unneccesary experience.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no magic to it. We don't pull our strikes. That's the only difference. I'm struggling though because my opponent knows both kickboxing and ITF taeKwondo, since his instructor in Serbia was both a Kickboxer and TKD instructor (ITF). And he's a trained fighter in full contact. So he has the best of both worlds and and can box my head of, set up attacks, throw combos.. While I'm stuck with just TaeKwondo.

In 4 years of Taekwondo lessons how is it that you think you understand the art enough to croticise it's global short-comings but haven't figured out how to set up attacks or throw combinations?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
In 4 years of Taekwondo lessons how is it that you think you understand the art enough to croticise it's global short-comings but haven't figured out how to set up attacks or throw combinations?

How is it that Joe Rogan after 10+ years and championship titels forms the exact same opinion?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
He doesn't. Not that it would matter if he did.

As far as appeals to authority go, I give this one a D-

Yes he does.

I don't appeal to his views formed in isolation, but after actual experience where he got annihilated.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A guy who learns even rudimentary boxing (and no, hitting mitts does not cut it) is VERY dangerous with TKD kicks. It's akin to teaching a wrestler jujitsu. But regular roundhouses in conjuction with boxing is perfectly fine as well.

But I do remember Rogan relaying that the Kung Fu challengers were stubborn and got very badly hurt, and that it was an unpleasent and unneccesary experience.
From your experience (/rogans experience since I know that will be tour response), tkd kicks don't work against boxers. From my experience, I have seen TKD work against boxers. May be that means that there is more to TKD then either of us (or all three of us) have experienced?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
From your experience (/rogans experience since I know that will be tour response), tkd kicks don't work against boxers. From my experience, I have seen TKD work against boxers. May be that means that there is more to TKD then either of us (or all three of us) have experienced?

Let's keep it to Kickboxers/Muay Thai fighters for arguments sake

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I won't give you or that other dude any videos. I've got nothing to prove to either of you.
You've yet to prove anything you've posted so far, why should this be any different.

For the record, Rogan is not and was not a great authority on TKD, even if we limit it just to sport.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious about this statement. Wasn't he a top competitor in TKD for a while?

He moved up the belts unusually fast and was allowed into tournaments fighting higher grades.