5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you even understand what he's saying? One question would clear it up - but you refuse to ask it.
We've been around this loop before with Axiom under other usernames. He doesn't understand what DK is. He'll post a Wikipedia link about it, but he is unable to see or concede that it applies to him rather than the people he is talking to here.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How is it that Joe Rogan after 10+ years and championship titels forms the exact same opinion?
1. That is not an answer to the question I asked.

I wanted to know why you are lacking in such basic skills that most kids figure out independent of instruction.
2. Who cares what Joe Rogan thinks? I've been and done
I won't give you or that other dude any videos. I've got nothing to prove to either of you.

Actually your claims are counter to the experiences of a bunch of people far more experienced than you. Everything you say at this point requires proof.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In your experience to date.

If you truly and deeply understand the system, you can apply it in any situation.

That's a cop out.

So if the system works it is because the system. If it doesn't it is because you did not understand the system.

The system is never at fault.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The headgear combined with mouthpieces do well enough in protecting from major trauma when eating a kick or hitting the floor.

However, it does allow repeated blunt force trauma to the head. It allows you to take more damage than your brain normally would before it shuts you off. Which is not good and is the main danger in boxing a lot with that type of headgear.

In olympic tkd these repeated blows to the head in quick succession are not as much of an issue.

Anecdotally some padding is a lot better than no padding. Bare shin in face sucks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't recall him or dirty dog (who commented with 45+ experience) stating they only do no contact sparring. In fact, I'm pretty sure dirty dog stated he has done full contact in the past.

RTKDCMB does no contact. Did a thread on it here about how there is no difference between non contact and full contact.

Dirty dog does do contact apparently. And also actually fights people in real time. And I would imagine are two very different TKD fighters.

The issue you have is non contact emphasizes techniques that full contact doesn't.

There a definitely TKD schools out there that do not produce fighters. I have seen them and they just fill people full of black belts and hope. There are schools out there that produce kick boxing champions.

Effective hands is definitely an indicator of a school that will produce fighters and a school that doesn't.

This even comes out in kyukoshin where even if they are full contact trained face punching can mess them up.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a cop out.

So if the system works it is because the system. If it doesn't it is because you did not understand the system.

And hypocritical since he has himself crosstrained in boxing.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We've been around this loop before with Axiom under other usernames. He doesn't understand what DK is. He'll post a Wikipedia link about it, but he is unable to see or concede that it applies to him rather than the people he is talking to here.

What other usernames has he used? Isn't that against one of the terms/procedures on this site?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's a cop out.

If you are good, it's because you understand and can apply the system. If you are bad, it's because you don't. It's to do with you, not the system. The system is just a tool.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are good, it's because you understand and can apply the system. If you are bad, it's because you don't. It's to do with you, not the system. The system is just a tool.

The system can be a poor tool.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a cop out.

Because ignore the facts all you want but a system cannot and does not do anything.

The fight is conducted by the person and adapting the system to the individual and the situation is effectively the whole point of TMA.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a cop out.

Because ignore the facts all you want but a system cannot and does not do anything.

The fight is conducted by the person and adapting the system to the individual and the situation is effectively the whole point of TMA.

As to poor tools, a punch is a punch a kick is a kick, how you train them determines their effectiveness.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

As to poor tools, a punch is a punch a kick is a kick, how you train them determines their effectiveness.

They are not facts. And if a system has no function they would be interchangeable and have equal results.

A system that teaches you to swim would be equal to a system that teaches you to ride a horse depending on how you train it.

If I said pink swimming clothes provide the same benefit as pink horse riding clothes. So the color pink has no function. That would be what you are trying to argue here.

A punch taught badly is a bad punch. Even if that bad punch is trained diligently it is still a bad punch.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
A punch taught badly is a bad punch. Even if that bad punch is trained diligently it is still a bad punch.

That's not the problem. The problem is the dynamic elements of boxing, especially defence, that a TKD system does not adress unless the trainer knows boxing. Boxing defence is a science onto itself. Anyone who claims otherwise and think they're fine based on forms has not sparred high level kickboxers

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not the problem. The problem is the dynamic elements of boxing, especially defence, that TKD does not adress unless the trainer knows boxing. Boxing defence is a science onto itself. Anyone who claims otherwise and think they're fine based on forms have not sparred high level kickboxers.

Absolutely. You are not going to magically pick up the concepts of boxing by just training whatever hard or being athletic.

MMA and even kickboxing was a prime example of this. Nobody got toweled up by a thai guy and leg kicks, went back to the gym and decided it was because they hadn't trained their TKD hard enough. They went out and found out how these guys set up their kicks.

Latest Discussions