GM Robert Trias

Chris Freeman

White Belt
Reaction score
You seemed to have missed the point. For reference: “It is exclusive and it's own 'thing'.”

You offered up three definitions and then claimed whatever your style is as pure. Thanks for the demonstration of fail.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Disagreement is fine, but there's no denying that every single martial art today fits the definition of Bullshido because there are no "pure" martial arts.

Without breaking the rules of challenges and threats , and speaking in hypotheticals only:
1. If there was a person / art / system who accepted challenges would that be a step toward being a pure martial art?
2. If the challenge consisted of three "competitions",
a. One for the challenger in an actual defined rule set, not running marathons and such, just two to five 2 to 5 minutes rounds.
b. A second one by the rules of the the person being challenged
(* Secret here is that there rules are one can wear a cup, goggles, and mouth piece, and then pick up a hardwood or rattan stick and fight full contact non stop until someone is knocked out - They do not publish this and hold it for after people get over the third competition. *)
c. The third competition is empty hands no rules - yes it means less after fight two, yet most will not ask for the rules of fight two, instead they will jump in about being illegal and people could die in empty hands and people going to jail.
3. To address 2.c , they state that the location has to be somewhere near the middle of them with no family and friends so no one has home field advantage legally.
4. They also have it documented of accepted a bladed challenge from the PI on Escrima Digest.
5. When they get a phone call or message from someone say their GM or head of system wants to talk to them. They ask is it over coffee, pop, lemonade, beer, etc or is it pick up a stick so the GM / Head of system can teach them the errors of their ways.
a. Because if it is the latter they want to give it their best.
b. if it is the former they want to listen to what others have to say.
No disrespect meant to you or anyone else
Just asking questions as your answers here and elsewhere seem very trollish in the manner that only you can define pure or real.
By your own comments even those at the Bullshido site would be doing bullshido. ( Once again no disrespect meant to BJJ, JJ or MT or any other art / system or person ) .
Because if you have an opinion and are not willing to be open to discussion then why even post?

Chris Freeman

White Belt
Reaction score
By your own comments even those at the Bullshido site would be doing bullshido. ( Once again no disrespect meant to BJJ, JJ or MT or any other art / system or person ) .

Because if you have an opinion and are not willing to be open to discussion then why even post?

1. I accepted that other guy's defintion(s).

2. Those at Bullshido are the most Bullshido-ist "martial artists" out there.

I am totally open to discussing things and enjoy a good debate. That Other Guy was just looking to make himself superior and he picked the wrong huckleberry. Gotme?

Chris Freeman

White Belt
Reaction score
@gyoja I thought you said bye? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 😂

gyoja.jpg

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. I accepted that other guy's defintion(s).

2. Those at Bullshido are the most Bullshido-ist "martial artists" out there.

I am totally open to discussing things and enjoy a good debate. That Other Guy was just looking to make himself superior and he picked the wrong huckleberry. Gotme?

Actually I do not got you.
And just like doc who was dying and not afraid of the conflict, I do get the huckleberry comment.
Yet, is it a threat here?
A warning?

Because that part I do not got.

Chris Freeman

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually I do not got you.
And just like doc who was dying and not afraid of he conflict, I do get the huckleberry comment.
Yet, is it a threat here?
A warning?

Because that part I do not got.

Merely asking if you understood what I was saying, not a threat. I think you do understand, and that's all well and good.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Merely asking if you understood what I was saying, not a threat. I think you do understand, and that's all well and good.

Well, I just quickly skimmed this ancient thread (especially all the 20 year old stuff about Robert Trias, RIP - I met the guy once in the 80s, but I digress). Then you started in about all martial arts being "Bullshido" because they aren't "pure"?

I'll be honest, I don't understand anything about what you're saying!

....but I'm sure not going to argue about it. ;)

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No comment on Robert Trias as I have no knowledge of the person / art / situation. I just saw an old thread was necro'd
Every American karateka should know this name. He brought karate to the US. There may have been karate in Hawaii before him, but Hawaii wasn't a state at the time.

Other than that, his background is kind of sketchy. He was apparently trained in a Chinese martial art, and marketed it as "Shuri-ryu karate."

Even if Shuri-ryu doesn't have legit lineage past Trias himself, it definitely started something.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every American karateka should know this name. He brought karate to the US. There may have been karate in Hawaii before him, but Hawaii wasn't a state at the time.

Other than that, his background is kind of sketchy. He was apparently trained in a Chinese martial art, and marketed it as "Shuri-ryu karate."

Even if Shuri-ryu doesn't have legit lineage past Trias himself, it definitely started something.
Who is Delphin Lopez.
Everyone should know his name.
Or Anciong Bacon
or Ted Buot
or ...
Oh wait FMA arts are not Karate Arts and not everyone learns all Karate and or KMA history first.
They might actually start somewhere else.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Who is Delphin Lopez.
Everyone should know his name.
Or Anciong Bacon
or Ted Buot
or ...
Oh wait FMA arts are not Karate Arts and not everyone learns all Karate and or KMA history first.
They might actually start somewhere else.
If I had said that every American martial artist should know the name, this passive aggressive response of yours would make sense. I specifically said every American karateka. If you're looking for someone to "own," you're barking up the wrong tree.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All I know about Trias: He was a pioneer in bringing karate to the US. I knew of him in the late 60's and magazines such as Black Belt wrote of him. I don't remember hearing anything negative at the time.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I had said that every American martial artist should know the name, this passive aggressive response of yours would make sense. I specifically said every American karateka. If you're looking for someone to "own," you're barking up the wrong tree.
Stop making excuses! Do you know who Delphin Lopez is or not? And if you don't, boy are you a dummy!!! :mad:

....BTW, I don't know who he is either. And I'm a long-time Filipino Martial Arts aficionado. I do know about a lot of the other guys named above like Anciong Bacon and Ted Buot. But only because I knew Sam Buot who originally trained under Grandmaster Bacon at the Balintawak Street gym.

My old instructor said it really doesn't matter how many names you know. It's what you know and what you can do that matters. :)

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Stop making excuses! Do you know who Delphin Lopez is or not? And if you don't, boy are you a dummy!!! :mad:

....BTW, I don't know who he is either. And I'm a long-time Filipino Martial Arts aficionado. I do know about a lot of the other guys named above like Anciong Bacon and Ted Buot. But only because I knew Sam Buot who originally trained under Grandmaster Bacon at the Balintawak Street gym.

My old instructor said it really doesn't matter how many names you know. It's what you know and what you can do that matters. :)
Okay, when I said that he was a name that every American karateka should know, the intent wasn't to gatekeep or claim that "You're not a real karateka unless you know who this guy is." I wanted to point out that he's simply an important person when it comes to the history of karate in the US.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your Passive aggressive post and response is enough for me.
I wasn't trying to own anyone.
That is you taking what you were trying to do and imposing it others.
I made response to your passive aggressive post about how people should know who it is when I said I did not know.
Seems like you are the one hurt by my post . My point was that your post was uncalled for.
Have a nice day.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hi geezer.
Delphin is a very important person in the Balintawak history.
He was a hard fighter. He was known to to fight with a stick in one hand and a .45 in the other.
In the end he met his end on a bridge ambushed by people who did not like him, or were tired of his actions.
That being said his importance is there if one knows.
GM Remy Presas left Cebu and expanded his training and then went back to his home on Negros Occidental
In his training he met others which continued to impact his own system and mindset and teaching methodology.
Why did he leave?
He did not like bullies.
So when a student of Delphin beat up a new student and friend of Remy's , Remy went looking and waited for this bully to challenge him. He not only did he beat this bully, ne embarrassed him. He did not look well, and had lost face.
This Bully was Delphin's Nephew. So Delphin started asking around about Remy.
Remy asked Anciong if he could take Delphin. GM Bacon was pretty honest when it came to this kind of question and assessment.
He said is could go either way, except remember Delphin fights with a stick and a .45 or comes back later with his .45.
So Remy choose not to engage and to continue his education.
You see very important on the impact he had on those around him including the person who is credited with bringing the FMA into the school systems of the Philippines.

Thank you for asking :)

Latest Discussions