5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was the topless bar before or after you moved on?
That whole building has 2 parts. The left part was Jhoon's school. Later on it became the topless bar. The right part became a Kempo school. When the Kempo school moved out, I took over as my school. When I had my class, I could hear the music next door.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a good clip. It sends out positive energy. I'm glad that I can still stretch on the floor as he does.

I want to try the 100 push up within 1 minute and see if I can still do it when I'm 80. That sound like a good goal.

Why said that old person cannot kick high?

old_man_front_kick.jpg

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That whole building has 2 parts. The left part was Jhoon's school. Later on it became the topless bar. The right part became a Kempo school. When the Kempo school moved out, I took over as my school. When I had my class, I could hear the music next door.
So, you're saying your school was in a topless bar. Admit it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was still a wall in between. Believe it or not, behind that build was a monastery.
How many peep holes were there in that wall?
Did you guys go next door and practice on the guys who didn't keep their hands off?
Did you bring your students next door to research flexibility techniques?
How many times did students miss class, yet their car was parked right out front?

I could keep going, but it's getting late.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have already answered that question multiple times. I don't live in the US. It is not a daycare center over here.
How many TKD schools, "daycare" or otherwise, have you trained in in the US? How many in whatever country you're in?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How many peep holes were there in that wall?
Did you guys go next door and practice on the guys who didn't keep their hands off?
Did you bring your students next door to research flexibility techniques?
How many times did students miss class, yet their car was parked right out front?

I could keep going, but it's getting late.
When it was still a Kempo school, one night I dropped by before I took it over, one assistant instructor asked all the students to stay in horse stance. He then went next door to have a drink. That Kempo school used the old students teach new students policy.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe so, but why are you blaming Jhoon Rhee for what the president of your Federation in Europe does? Why not blame the president of your Federation?

Moving the Goalposts You asked me how I know that TKD (at least my lineage) has turned a martial art into an operating business first and foremost. Now you want to start a blaming game.

As for General Choi views on comercialization: 07:22

"When one teaches TaeKwondo, one should not think about money." Even though I have taught a number of disciples in my life time, I have never recieved money"

"If I recieve money from teaching at a dojang, it is not a true dojang, it's just a business."

"If you want to become a great master, do not ask for money more than what you need for survival"

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Moving the Goalposts You asked me how I know that TKD (at least my lineage) has turned a martial art into an operating business first and foremost.

No sir. I asked you what you meant when you said that Jhoon Rhee had degraded U.S. taekwondo by "commercializing" it.

You answered by explaining that the president of your federation gives away belts like candy.

I responded by saying: Why blame Jhoon Rhee for what the president of your federation does?

And now you're responded by pretending that the original question was different.

Last edited:

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As for General Choi views on comercialization: 07:22

"When one teaches TaeKwondo, one should not think about money." Even though I have taught a number of disciples in my life time, I have never recieved money"

"If I recieve money from teaching at a dojang, it is not a true dojang, it's just a business."

"If you want to become a great master, do not ask for money more than what you need for survival"

The expenses associated with running a typical dojang include:
  • Monthly facility lease
  • Local permits and licenses
  • Insurance
  • Utilities (heat, water, electric, etc.)
  • Training equipment and training supplies
  • Office and janitorial supplies
  • Taxes
  • Wages for instructors and staff, including related payroll expenses such as taxes and insurance
  • If the school has its own vehicles, then also vehicle costs: loan payments, taxes, insurance, registration
After paying those dojang costs, the head of the school then needs to pay his own personal expenses:
  • Mortgage payments on the home
  • Insurance
  • Utilities
  • Taxes
  • Groceries
  • Personal vehicle costs
And of course after paying for all of that, the head of the school had better be putting away some money for:
  • Your children's college fund
  • Your retirement

General Choi said you should not ask for more money than what you need for survival. The above list is the costs that are needed for "survival".

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
No sir. I asked you what you meant when you said that Jhoon Rhee had degraded U.S. taekwondo by "commercializing" it.

You answered by explaining that the president of your federation gives away belts like candy.

I responded by saying: Why blame Jhoon Rhee for what the president of your federation does?

And now you're responded by pretending that the original question was different.

I have answered what commercializing means and how I know it's in effect.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
The expenses associated with running a typical dojang include:
  • Monthly facility lease
  • Local permits and licenses
  • Insurance
  • Utilities (heat, water, electric, etc.)
  • Training equipment and training supplies
  • Office and janitorial supplies
  • Taxes
  • Wages for instructors and staff, including related payroll expenses such as taxes and insurance
  • If the school has its own vehicles, then also vehicle costs: loan payments, taxes, insurance, registration
After paying those dojang costs, the head of the school then needs to pay his own personal expenses:
  • Mortgage payments on the home
  • Insurance
  • Utilities
  • Taxes
  • Groceries
  • Personal vehicle costs
And of course after paying for all of that, the head of the school had better be putting away some money for:
  • Your children's college fund
  • Your retirement

General Choi said you should not ask for more money than what you need for survival. The above list is the costs that are needed for "survival".

And your point is?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

Any of the instructors in my school would teach for free if it were possible but unfortunately there's this thing called 'reality'.

Latest Discussions