5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"When one teaches TaeKwondo, one should not think about money." Even though I have taught a number of disciples in my life time, I have never recieved money"

"If I recieve money from teaching at a dojang, it is not a true dojang, it's just a business."
Bollux, I don't care who said it. There is nothing wrong with asking for money for delivering a product or service. I don't know where this idea originally came from. Overcharging for it - or underdelivering against your promises - is a bad thing. Getting paid for what you do is not (and that's from someone who makes no money from teaching).

"If you want to become a great master, do not ask for money more than what you need for survival"
I still disagree with this - it somehow presupposes that mastery of an art is somehow linked to poverty. It is also at odds with the previous two statements, since it clearly suggests it's okay to ask for enough to survive.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have answered what commercializing means and how I know it's in effect.
You answered that it is asking for money for teaching (paraphrased). You failed to show how that started with Rhee. You failed to show how that was actually bad. If you mean something beyond that definition you posted, you've failed to show any evidence that such exists. (Actually, you failed to show evidence even of anything that supports that definition, but that wouldn't be necessary, since we all know folks who teach TKD and receive fees.)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the term used for equal money spent as earned? Cutting even? Anway, whatever that's called in English, is what General Choi was referring to. Anybody who takes in more than they used in is running a business. And I guarantee the TKD instructors you so proudly speak of make profits.
Again, if they don't, they're not making an income. "Profit" is simply the revenue in excess of the business expenses. If a program makes no more income than the expenses it has (like mine), there is no income for the owner (like me). "Breaking even" is okay for a hobby. One cannot make a living on breaking even.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And where do you think the majority of those profits go? Back into the school, fuel for the car, advertising, belts, boards for breaking, training equipment etc.
Actually, the money that goes to the school, boards, equipment, would be expenses, so not even profits.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the amount of kids running around in, I know they make plenty of profit. Kids from the age of 6 "train" TaeKwonDo in my school. They barely know where they are and do other things when the instructor isn't looking.
That doesn't prove excessive profit, nor that there's anything wrong. Starting kids very early isn't going to (normally) be rigorous TKD training, any more than soccer/football was when I started at 7. It's something to keep kids active and occupied in a social setting. That's good for the kids, probably good for the parents.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It erodes the purity of the art.
So, starving instructors are better than those who eat? Instructors who are impoverished at retirement are better than those who have a comfortable life?

I've seen instruction that was for free that was absolute tripe. I've seen instruction for free that was quite good. I've seen costly instruction that was absolute tripe. I've seen costly instruction that was quite good. The instructor matters more than his salary. That is true in martial arts, corporate training, and everywhere in between.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Given the amount of kids running around in, I know they make plenty of profit. Kids from the age of 6 "train" TaeKwonDo in my school. They barely know where they are and do other things when the instructor isn't looking.
When you are successfully running a highly disciplined kid's class and post video of it here, your comment may have some credibility.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And yes, my fellow students have travelled abroad to the United States and visited TaeKwonDo dojangs that turned out to be daycare centers. the instructors spoke openly about it, as if it was a good thing. I want to throw up when I hear that.
When you are successfully running your not-for-profit dojang, and post evidence of it here, your comment may have some credibility.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess you didn't get what I meant by profit. Clue: wallet.
When you are successfully managing to live from a job that pays nothing, your comment may have some credibility.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BTW, another reason I still train TaeKwonDo as a red belt is that I'm a retro lover. I love training in a dojang stuck in the 80s. I love music, culture, and martial arts of the 80s.
Then surely capitalism is something you should understand.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's a distinction between making a living and a profitable business.
When you are making a living from your successful business, and post evidence of it here, your comment may have some credibility.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Post your idea of a five year business plan - show me how this model works. I am intrigued.