5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
But...Jhoon Rhee didn't invent the idea of charging students for martial arts lessons. I mean...that idea goes back a long way.

Shotokan schools fails even dedicated students in their black belt tests. So no, it is by no means certain that just because schools charge for belts, that they do it out of a profit interest first and foremost.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To be honest I've never heard of him which as I've been around martial arts a long time...

I don't think there's any reason why people outside the U.S. would have necessarily heard of Rhee. Of course here in the suburbs of D.C. he's a bit of a legend; he now lives a couple towns over from me. He was teaching "Korean Karate" in Texas until General Choi convinced Rhee to call his art "taekwondo", and so Rhee became the first teacher of taekwondo in the U.S. From Austin, Rhee relocated here to D.C. where he opened a successful chain of schools.

Anyway, back to the topic:

It sounds like what Axiom is saying is that he thinks U.S. taekwondo is bad, and since Jhoon Rhee is the father of U.S. taekwondo, it's Rhee's fault.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now it's next-door to a Brazilian Waxing place, thus proving that BJJ was not the only art to derive from Brazil.
Jhoon Rhee also taught class in "University of Texas at Austin" too. I had met many of his students. They all said good thing about him. Jhoon Rhee did emphasized "side kick" very much. I believe Jhoon left Austin a little bit before 1973.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like what Axiom is saying is that he thinks U.S. taekwondo is bad, and since Jhoon Rhee is the father of U.S. taekwondo, it's Rhee's fault.

He doesn't like the TKD he does nor his instructor either but won't leave because he knows he's getting his black belt next year. He knows he's getting it because the gradings in his place are 'lax' ( his words) and he's rather than have any sort of true test either a grading or work done in class. Most styles apart from Muay Thai are inferior according to him, MMA is for jack of all trades, Shotokan far too strict and everything else just pants really. Trolling at it's 'finest'. :rolleyes:

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shotokan schools fails even dedicated students in their black belt tests. So no, it is by no means certain that just because schools charge for belts, that they do it out of a profit interest first and foremost.

1. You're claiming that Jhoon Rhee profited from passing people who didn't deserve to pass. What are you basing that allegation on?

2. You're claiming that such a thing would never happen at a Shotokan school. What are you basing THAT on?

3. You're further claiming that before Jhoon Rhee nobody profited from passing people who didn't deserve to pass. What are you basing THAT on?

I'm sorry, but there are so many unsubstantiated claims in your allegation, I can't fathom how you could hope to support the accusation. It seems like you just randomly chose the name of one of the few still-living taekwondo pioneers to throw dirt on.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the place.

It's at the corner of the 34 St and Guadalupes St. Later on it became a "topless bar". Not sure what it is today. Since it's not far from the Austin Mental hospital, many strange guys walked into my school.
Was the topless bar before or after you moved on?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I know folks who've been failed on TKD tests, including BB. What's your point?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
1. You're claiming that Jhoon Rhee profited from passing people who didn't deserve to pass. What are you basing that allegation on?

2. You're claiming that such a thing would never happen at a Shotokan school. What are you basing THAT on?

3. You're further claiming that before Jhoon Rhee nobody profited from passing people who didn't deserve to pass. What are you basing THAT on?

I'm sorry, but there are so many unsubstantiated claims in your allegation, I can't fathom how you could hope to support the accusation. It seems like you just randomly chose the name of one of the few still-living taekwondo pioneers to throw dirt on.

I base it on the fact that the president of my federation hands out belts like candy on Halloween.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I base it on the fact that the president of my federation hands out belts like candy on Halloween.

So....because the president of your federation in Europe hands out belts like candy, you say that that means Jhoon Rhee degraded taekwondo in the U.S. by commercializing it.

latest

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
So....because the president of your federation in Europe hands out belts like candy, you say that that means Jhoon Rhee degraded taekwondo in the U.S. by commercializing it.

latest

They have close ties, mind you.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They have close ties, mind you.

Maybe so, but why are you blaming Jhoon Rhee for what the president of your Federation in Europe does? Why not blame the president of your Federation?

I mean, Jhoon Rhee was also close (for a time) to General Choi. Maybe you should blame General Choi for your Federation's low standards. No wait, General Choi was close to Nam Tae Hi! Maybe it's Nam Tae Hi's fault. My gawd man, you're right, this conspiracy goes far deeper than I realized!

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe so, but why are you blaming Jhoon Rhee for what the president of your Federation in Europe does? Why not blame the president of your Federation?

I mean, Jhoon Rhee was also close (for a time) to General Choi. Maybe you should blame General Choi for your Federation's low standards. No wait, General Choi was close to Nam Tae Hi! Maybe it's Nam Tae Hi's fault. My gawd man, you're right, this conspiracy goes far deeper than I realized!
Nah it's bruce lees fault because him and jhoon Rhee met a few times

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think there's any reason why people outside the U.S. would have necessarily heard of Rhee. Of course here in the suburbs of D.C. he's a bit of a legend; he now lives a couple towns over from me. He was teaching "Korean Karate" in Texas until General Choi convinced Rhee to call his art "taekwondo", and so Rhee became the first teacher of taekwondo in the U.S. From Austin, Rhee relocated here to D.C. where he opened a successful chain of schools.

Anyway, back to the topic:

Atlee Chittim trained "Korean Karate" while in the military. In 1955, Chittim returned to the US as a brown belt And began teaching "Korean Karate" In San Antonio. A year later, Chittim sponsored Jhoon Rhee to come to America and began training with Jhoon Rhee. Chittim was Jhoon Rhees first student in America promoted to black belt.

And the side kick is still a big point of emphasis in that lineage.

So Chittim I guess carries some of the blame as well.

Latest Discussions