29th degree?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kwiter said:
I'm confused why you would think Adrian Roman is in a Winnebago, nor why you would think he DOES NOT have a School in Dallas Texas.
The comment was meant more metaphically speaking for the type of business than at a particular individual. If he owns a school in Dallas, that's great, but the focus of this discussion is mail order. Particularly, HIS mail order.

Kwiter said:
Do you think that of ALL people who sell Videos of MA or just Adrian Roman?
No. I don't think this of all people who sell videos.
No. I don't think think this of just Adrian Roman.
There's lots of rocks that have crawly things under them, but not all.

Kwiter said:
If it's all people then I guess Larry Tatum has no school either and lives in a Winnebago.
Don't know him and he's not part of the discussion.

Kwiter said:
sometimes it seems some folks here simply are Trolling or talking about things they know NOTHING about.
And sometimes people stand up and call a spade a spade. If it offends you that other people refuse to buy into that garbage, I'm sorry, but it is what it is.

Kwiter said:
I'd say it's Pretty simple to check if he has a School in Texas, the Better Business Bureau or the county clerks office can easily help you with that.
Hell even contacting the folks who do Karatekast can net you the answer most likely as they are also in the Dallas Area.
Already covered this, but as far as the BBB, that may be, but a business can be legal AND unethical at the same time. If condoning such practice is okay by you, so be it. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

Kwiter said:
I think it's cowardly to insult someone who is not there to defend themselves.
How do you know he's not here? He could be. I don't know that nor do you. But assuming he's not, I think it's unethical to take advantage of the unwary. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it. If you're good with it, fine. I'm not. If it makes me a coward to respond to a thread that exposes such practice, so be it. I can live with that. There are worse things.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are certainly entitled to your opinon, it's even protected by the First Amendment, but we must be wary of how we speak of people in public forum such as this lest we be hit with Slander and libel suits. some of which are FRIVOLOUS of course.

Perhaps if I owned a school I'd have a vastly different opinion too of those who sell Videos and promise you a BB if you study the material.
I've said this repeatedly when talking about this Distance Learning that my children attend a Brick and mortar School and will continue to do so and the Videos are nothing but extra material to help them along as "I" am a Video fiend and do find them useful for learning things. MA training has not been one of the things I've tried as yet and some have posited that certain techniques will likely be buggered up because seein it on a video doesn't show exactly whats being done. I "HOPE" that the Ed Parker Manual that comes with the videos can offset that but till I actually have this set in my Grubby little hands I don't know.

In another thread someone said "would you bet your life on it" I mentioned seeing many folks who were trained in Brick and Mortar Schools being beaten bloody and have done so myself in my youth to several MA practitioners, this doesn't prove ALL students are inept just that just because you train in MA doesn't mean you're learning anything or retaining it might be better way to say it.

I think until I have time to reveiw these videos I'll refrain from posting here tho. Perhaps my mind will be changed after seeing them tho I'm doubtful of this.

I will say this for now tho, it seems the biggest critics of this seem to be those with the most to lose if they are useful. IOW School owners who need a constant flow of new $$$ to keep their business's going Perhaps I'm the one who's stereotyping now. Just the perception I'm getting.

Skennen Peace.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kwiter said:
I will say this for now tho, it seems the biggest critics of this seem to be those with the most to lose if they are useful. IOW School owners who need a constant flow of new $$$ to keep their business's going Perhaps I'm the one who's stereotyping now. Just the perception I'm getting.

Well I'm not about to speculate about who is sterotyping others, but will point out right away that I am NOT a school owner, instructor, or anything except a student who tries hard and fails often. With that being said, I looked at the site mentioned and have to send out this opinion: :bs:As I said this is just my impression of the site and the offer. Anybody that makes it a selling point that with payment, the shipment will include the training videos AND Black Belt is just like the online "Universities" that will send out the diploma for a set fee without actually reviewing the work. Other video training offers require the person to send in videos to SHOW what they have been doing and then will award the next belt level. This is the only one I've seen that sends the "final" Black Belt with the videos right away. Am I going to question if his school actually exists? - NO I'm not, because if it exists or not, is irrevelent to the video program offered and what is being disscused and commented on in this thread.

Personally, any BB that was just given to me without question, training, or testing would be just so much useless cloth with ZERO meaning. Sure I could open my own school with the certificate and franchise, but just exactly how good would the training be that I would be "selling" to unsuspecting students walking through the door? Even if it did go to someone who felt morally obligated to go through the videos and do the training in them, without the feedback of an instructor, it would be the same as watching every episode of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and then granting myself a BB, printing out a nice looking certificate and opening my own Ninjutsu school.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kwiter said:
I've said this repeatedly when talking about this Distance Learning that my children attend a Brick and mortar School and will continue to do so and the Videos are nothing but extra material to help them along as "I" am a Video fiend and do find them useful for learning things.

Skennen Peace.

Kwiter:

I think you will find that the majority opinion regarding video/distance learning is that it is a waste of time. This opinion is shared by both instructors with schools, and those who are not instructors, such as myself.

CAN one learn from a video? Yes. But those with the greatest potential to learn the most successfully from a video are also those who are already highly experienced with the martial arts, and are therefor those who have the least need to learn from a video. In short, their training and skills are already solid, and whatever they may learn from a video is probably stuff they don't have a real need for.

CAN a beginner learn from a video? Yes, but the resulting knowledge and skills gained from video learning alone are all but guaranteed to be very poor. Is this better than nothing? Maybe. The problem is, one might learn just enough from a video to get a false sense of security in thinking that he is developing useful skills. This might be just enough to get yourself killed in a real confrontation.

You have indicated several times in your postings that your daughters are training in a real kenpo school, under instructors who are not affiliated with Mr. Roman. You indicated that you purchased the videos to give your daughters some guidance in practicing outside the dojo, and you were inclined to purchase from Mr. Roman because of a shared Native American heritage (different tribal affiliations aside). These are motivations that I have the utmost respect for.

However, as I stated in another thread, I think your intentions, however nobly motiviated, are misguided. Your daughters definitely need to train outside the dojo, or their development will be much slower and ultimately much more limited. Martial arts are like that: they need constant attention and training, or your skills start to slip and you start to forget things. But using videos, especially videos not made by your daughters instructors, is not the best way for them to do this. They should instead focus their efforts on practicing what they have learned from their instructor. As they learn more, they will have more to practice. Everything they learn should continue to be practiced. New material should not replace old material, but instead should be ADDED to old material. They can keep a notebook to help them remember things, until the knowledge is deeply ingrained and they won't forget it.

While Mr. Roman claims to practice and teach Ed Parker's kenpo, that DOES NOT mean what he teaches will be identical to what your daughters are learning. Many people studied under Mr. Parker, over a period of many years. As Mr. Parker constantly revised his system, he taught things differently to different people, depending on WHEN that person studied with him. What his earliest students, those who studied with him in the 1950s and 1960s, teach is quite different from what his latest students, those who were with him in the 1980s are teaching.

Giving your daughters videos made by a different source from their instructor will just confuse them. Video instruction is a bad idea to begin with, and these particular circumstances are more likely to create confusion for your daughters then aid their training.

With regard to Mr. Roman's specific program, I do not know him and cannot vouche for his skills one way or the other. If he claims to be good, I am willing to believe him until I meet him and can then judge for myself. However, the information posted on his website raises many serious red flags. It appears to me that he is very Profit-Motivated, and is willing to sell rank and status for a large sum of money. In my opinion, this is serious enough to suggest that you stear clear of him.

Hope this helps.

Michael

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the debate about whether Distance Learning works or doesn't work is a separate matter and not the real issue here. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with trying to learn any way you can and video is a valuable resource. BUT... NO video tape series should come with an automatic black belt attached to it and anyone who's willing to pay 28,000 for it didn't do it for the tapes they're buying a black belt they didn't earn. That's what we're REALLY talking about here. And it's wrong. And you know it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Marketing...marketing and more marketing.....the more the advertising can convince you the more you will buy into it.

Anyone can make claims of any rank..if it is his own business....keep in mind if it is too good to be true....than watch out!

He is in the business to sell and make money....it you see the ads all the time? ...then it is working. Money can buy almost anything now days.

Trust your intincts...believe in yourself...do not let others...over influence you with there ads.

Anyone can start a martial art school...anywhere,anytime,..use your experience and start your own if you always want to. Please talk to your Sensi's first. ........Aloha

liuseongsystem

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
videos are relatively useless to beginners.

at most only serves to confuse, and there are a lot of little details that need to be transmitted in person.

more importantly, correction of a student must be done in person. without this you will continue to make mistakes that you are unaware of.

if you are an advanced martial artsist, then good videos can be a great source of information and inspiration.

this guy with the mail order seventh degee franchise is rephrehensible.

no such thing

28th degree? must be Masonic Karate.

thanx.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kwe sewakwekon, Hello everyone, I got the Videos yesterday. Other than the Yellow Belt DVD teaching the complete set of actions for the Yellow Belt ala Ed Parker Kenpo, I see little difference from what my Daughters are being taught, I'm going to query my girls Sensei as to why Techniques such as Delayed Sword ARE NOT being taught tho I ASSUME it's due to their being 5 & 6 year olds so perhaps it's being dumbed down for them a bit, my girls I've seen do the Star Blocks(was another name he used but can't recall it at the moment) tho they were taught to do them with both hands/arms at once, whereas Mr Roman shows them done one arm at a time. My girls are being taught snap kicks and side kicks and a few other strikes that were absent from the Yellow Belt instruction but I again assume this is due to the lack of techniques such as delayed sword.

I see a MUCH cleaner picture on the Yellow Belt DVD than I did when I watched the Forms DVD which I'm happy about. I THINK this will help them some espescially this summer while they are visiting their Grandma in July/August and missing Training....... Then again they may not ever turn it on ;-) Lots to do in Dominican Republic outdoors ;-)

With luck I'll be able to give a cursory view of all the videos over the next few days and give more info In MY opinon.

Still can't say for sure wether I think this would work for a complete novice but I could follow along with what I saw on the Yellow Belt disc fairly easily but then again I'm not a complete beginner to fighting.

And I paid $89 for the complete set from Yellow to 1st Degree Black
I'm pretty happy with the quality for the price. I'm quite likely to buy MORE videos tho ;-)
Skennen Peace

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
patroldawg27 said:
29th degree?? How do you fit all those stripes on your belt???

It looks like a white belt with a little bit of black on the ends I suppose. I was wondering the same thing.

Latest Discussions