Steve Stewart:Brown to 4th black .. Instantly

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doc said:
Interestingly, most recently Mr. Stewart has taken to claiming he teaches SL-4 AND 5. ...
"oh yeah, 220, 221 , whatever it takes" LOL

or, even better

"it goes to eleven, it's one louder"

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
ThirdDegreeBurn said:
I don't believe those bottom two, at least, should be called Sensei. They may, or may not, be instructors (I should hope it would be only the children's classes), but calling someone so young "Sensei" before they've even hit puberty seems to me to be an insult to the word.
I agree, it is quite literally an insult to the word "Sensei". "Sensei" when written conventionally in Japanese characters carries the literal meaning of "Earlier Born". Whilst the word "Sensei" is used more broadly in Japan for persons who teach, or who have special knowledge or status (doctors, lawyers, experts in a particular hobby or pastime etc) it would be only be used towards someone pre-pubescent for the purposes of sarcasm or comedy!

To call oneself "Sensei" is the height of presumption in Japan, no matter how old or learned one is. It is an honorific title that is given out of respect and courtesy, but cannot ever be assumed, insisted on, or ever used in reference to oneself. (On the other hand to omit the title "Sensei" can be exceptionally rude...)

By way of example, when teaching Junior High in Japan the single most insulting experience I had was when a child called me "Dan-San" (i.e. Mr. Dan, fine if used by an aquaintance unconnected with my work, but a definite no no from a pupil) rather than the absolutely obligatory "Dan-Sensei" in front of the class, knowing that I couldn't correct him, or even show irritation without making a fool of myself. (Smart kid - and I secretly respected the bad attitude, even if he was a nightmare to teach).

The only dafter use of Japanese language in martial arts taught in the West that I can think of is the word "Kiai" (loosely translated as "shout"). As an instruction it is fine, and arguably conveys greater depth of meaning than when translated into English, but if it would be plain bizaare to watch a class of adults marching up and down a room bellowing out "Shout!" at the top of their voice it is even weirder to see people do exactly the same, but with a lousy accent in a language they neither speak nor understand... (and grunting Ossssu! is equally freaky... on a par with screaming "Dude!" or "Allright mate!" when doing techniques) :erg:

I understand the value of respecting the cultural origins of an art, but using words from another language without understanding the meaning, or often the complex underlying social codes and values behind them ends up making a mockery of the whole exercise.

IMHO one of the best things SGM Parker did for martial arts was having the confidence to teach exclusively in English... so much smarter to concentrate on the message and not the medium!

rant over,

respectfully,:asian:

Dan

OP
M

MisterMike

Dan G said:
IMHO one of the best things SGM Parker did for martial arts was having the confidence to teach exclusively in English... so much smarter to concentrate on the message and not the medium!

rant over,

respectfully,:asian:

Dan

I think he did that for his own system, not all of martial arts. He wanted an American version of what has been for centuries a culture and product of the East.

Not only isn't there foreign words, but no bowing, addressing teachers properly (most schools go back to what you referred to as "Mr. Mike," "Mr. Dan," etc.

I do not think he "added" anything by the way of discipline to the Martial Arts, but he certainly created an American version of it all.

Latest Discussions