Steve Stewart:Brown to 4th black .. Instantly

K

kkbb

This is the second part of a previous thread..probabley better on it's own

I heard a story about Mr. Stewart that he went from 3rd brown to 4th black (promoted by Mr. Donavan) when he opened his school then tested with the WKKA (who took his 4th rank at face value) using Orange belt techniques. Now I hear that those KYUs that Stewart tested between 1999 and 2002 may not have legit ranks (http://www.wkka.org scroll down to bottom of page) with the WKKA. Anybody got more? Am I right or wrong?

OP
L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by kkbb
I heard a story about .... Now I hear ...

Tread lightly... Your accusing someone on a public forum with no evidence. I don't know the person, but I think this is foul play without some sort of supporting evidence.

WhiteBirch

OP
K

kkbb

Originally posted by lvwhitebir
Tread lightly... Your accusing someone on a public forum with no evidence. I don't know the person, but I think this is foul play without some sort of supporting evidence.

WhiteBirch
I'm sure an e-mail to the wkka would shed some light on the belt gradings....

I'm not accusing anyone of any thing.... I'm relaying a story... that I hope will return some facts...

OP
K

kkbb

From other thread:
Originally posted by Rob Broad
He is very money oriented. A directly from Mr. Donovan's mouth to my ear it was Blue Belt to 3rd Black.

I was wondering how true it was. I wonder what his students would think if they knew?

OP
C

clapping_tiger

It is something to have someone with the tittle "Sensei" at that age. Makes me sick.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The moment I was told that the "sensei"(little s) would be along as soon as he got out of daycare I'd be outta there.

Does anyone know if there is an Olympic in NYC, trying to verify someones credentials.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by theletch1
The moment I was told that the "sensei"(little s) would be along as soon as he got out of daycare I'd be outta there.

Does anyone know if there is an Olympic in NYC, trying to verify someones credentials.

If there is it's an unrelated company. Olympic Karate only had 3 schools in London, ON and a 4th just outside of town.

Unless things have changed in the 2 years since I've been there.

Dot
:asian:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless things have changed in the 2 years since I've been there.
Sorry, should have clarified... this would have been close on to 15 years ago and it would have been kenpo.

OP
T

ThirdDegreeBurn

I don't believe those bottom two, at least, should be called Sensei. They may, or may not, be instructors (I should hope it would be only the children's classes), but calling someone so young "Sensei" before they've even hit puberty seems to me to be an insult to the word.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ThirdDegreeBurn
I don't believe those bottom two, at least, should be called Sensei. They may, or may not, be instructors (I should hope it would be only the children's classes), but calling someone so young "Sensei" before they've even hit puberty seems to me to be an insult to the word.
I agree. The word Sensei has always denoted a sense of experience, time put in and a kind of "paid their dues" kinda thing. These kids are barely out of pre-school and are carrying a title that should, IMO, be reserved for someone who has put in enough time to truly understand the more esoteric aspects of what they are teaching. Yeah, I know, it's just a title. Still, it seems to drop the significance of the hard work put in by those that have truly earned the title.

OP
J

Jimmy"TheBear"

quote: Originally posted by Rob Broad
He is very money oriented. A directly from Mr. Donovan's mouth to my ear it was Blue Belt to 3rd Black.

I don't think anyone that did this, is much concerned about what his students are or the use of the word sensei.

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ummm yeah sombody under 18 with a sensie title makes me sick. they can be instructors but a sensie is more it is a guide on a journey and is usually a trusted individual. a sensie needs to be able to give advice. 18 is very young for a sensei imo because they should have gotten some experience in the really world before being one :snipe2: could always but him out of our minds unless we want to keep him around for comedic relief?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
kkbb said:
This is the second part of a previous thread..probabley better on it's own

I heard a story about Mr. Stewart that he went from 3rd brown to 4th black (promoted by Mr. Donavan) when he opened his school then tested with the WKKA (who took his 4th rank at face value) using Orange belt techniques. Now I hear that those KYUs that Stewart tested between 1999 and 2002 may not have legit ranks (http://www.wkka.org scroll down to bottom of page) with the WKKA. Anybody got more? Am I right or wrong?
Interestingly, most recently Mr. Stewart has taken to claiming he teaches SL-4 AND 5. And while I appreciate the compliment, no one outside of my lineage can claim SL-4 by name. Of course others may claim they perform the same principles, as I but SL-4 is ™ and has been for over a decade. Besides how can you claim a 5th distance in kenpo, (which is what he claims he does), when Ed Parker only designated four. Should make for an interesting story.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do all of these guys try to sell themselves as having been special forces? So sad.

Latest Discussions