Your thoughts on these locks?

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
When the contestant is bare-chested, are you allowed to grab a handful of skin in place of the Gi?
This is a common technique in the traditional Japanese styles of jujutsu, but my post was limited to techniques that I feel I've proven to be viable by sparring them against experienced grapplers
Aside from the odd experimentation I can't say I've tried the skin grabs in that context (as I like my training partners and want to keep training with them) although I don't doubt that they will be effective as long as your opponent has "grabable skin"

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Earlier you said you match the system you are sparring against - are you saying if they wrist-lock then you wrist-lock?
I can't answer for him, but have trained in similar places before. Typically it depends on the rules of the sparring. So if we're doing boxing, we follow boxing rules. If we're doing muay thai, we follow the rules of whatever muay thai ruleset we're doing (this mainly effects me because the rules on leg grabs change). The only time I would be able to do a wristlock is in randori/grappling rules, or an mma-in those cases my opponent normally won't try a wristlock (and I don't), but that's where I would try to work on my wristlock if it was a technique I was training at the time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a throw I learned back in the day where you grab the guy at about the floating ribs take a handful of flab on each side, roll your hands forwards and then sort of steering wheel them to the ground.

Called the nerve wheel throw, I think.

But it's a seriously duchebaggy move.
Ow.

That is all.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a throw I learned back in the day where you grab the guy at about the floating ribs take a handful of flab on each side, roll your hands forwards and then sort of steering wheel them to the ground.

Called the nerve wheel throw, I think.

But it's a seriously duchebaggy move.
Curious here, why is it a douchebag move?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the thing that I didn't like about how Jow Ga kung fu was often taught. Because no one used the techniques in fighting, no one would know how to "set it up" One thing I'm going to change when I train someone is that I will start to include the SetUps as part of the drill.
This is a general CMA problem. Taiji guys also don't know how to set up a push hand.

If you have N different set ups, you can always group your training in those N groups. This way, your training and fighting are identical.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Earlier you said you match the system you are sparring against - are you saying if they wrist-lock then you wrist-lock?

Otherwise there are a lot of set ups for MMA that are wrist lock set ups. All the arm controls, two on one russian stuff. Stuff I would basically be doing anyway and they should be defending anyway. So the wrist locks are kind of just a fun cheap way of exploring that mechanic against a guy who is under no obligation to play that game himself. In BJJ wrist locks are fair game. So they have to suck it up buttercup.

Then that same idea sets me up for weapon stuff. Which is just kinda sorta standing armlocks/wristlocks anyway.

Now it depends where they are at in their training. If they are seriously training for a competition. I will spar a lot more vanilla to give them the best possible chance. But mabye if they are a cop or something and doing MMA for self defence. Then we can jump in to the weeds a bit.

And this works both ways. If we have 10 boxers and a kick boxer is camping for a fight. Then a bunch of boxers are getting kicked in the thigh.

And the whole idea is we are doing 4 different systems anyway. Plus whatever extra entertains us. A little deviation doesn't hurt that. It just forces a person to develop mental elasticity.

At the moment my coach is playing around in the tactical field and flying to Thailand and doing ninja stuff with a guy called Paul cale.

And all of this is made possible by having a flexible foundational system that you can just unpack and use prices of that make any system better.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't like wrist lock. As long as my opponent's elbow is free, he can do a lot counters.

When you apply wrist lock, if you use:

- downward pressure, your opponent can raise his elbow.
- horizontal sideway pressure, your opponent can turn his body.
- horizontal backward pressure, your opponent can ...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't like wrist lock. As long as my opponent's elbow is free, he can do a lot counters.

Don't let his elbow get free.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you don’t have their structure, you don’t want to be playing with locks. If you have their structure, they have far less opportunity for most of that.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you don’t have their structure, you don’t want to be playing with locks. If you have their structure, they have far less opportunity for most of that.
How can you control your opponent's structure if you only control his wrist? IMO, the elbow lock, shoulder lock, head lock, spine lock, ... are more effective.

Even the finger lock can be more effective than the wrist lock.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions