Your personal warmup

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It confounds me how little real, good physical therapy is not use First as a remedy to joint/bone issue. I love my Ortho but I know he is a bone cutter first so I cannot listen to all of his advise.
ive formed an opinion that most '' old '' people and by thar i means 50s onwards, dont want to do anything about their increasing ailments they just want to moan about them

tell them they can sort their shoulders or knees out with a few months of effort ( and possibly discomfort) and they look at you like your mad, completely mad, for one reason amongst possibly many is they wont have anything to talk about

which is the reason i avoid the company of people my age, they are so negative about everything, they can spend hours competing asd to who jhas the worse shoulders, before moving on to complain about the youth of today, music TV Every b;oody thing is worse than when they were young

I bumped to an an old associate the other week, he looked like a beach ball, he told me about his gout, his bladder , his gout again, bad shoulders, his bad knees his diabetes, and i though for gods sake man sort yourself out your 58 not 88

then he set off about the youth of today all being wild, i couldn't believe my ears, he was a one man crime wave when he was 17, there wasnt a car or a motorbike stolen in 5 miles he wasnt involved in, there some definite karma involved in him keep having his car broken into

after 10 mins of winging i couldn't stand it any longer, god it was depressing so, i carried on my run whilst he hobbled off on his dodgy knees

i hate old people

Last edited:

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I typically do about 2 minutes straight of jump roping, 30 to 40 reps of windmills, standing up put my knees together and rotate them each direction about 5 times, knee lunges about to both sides, standing up rotate my head from left to right and right to left and twists my wrists. Then lying down I do 50 bicycles, 50 legs open and closed, 50 legs up and down then 50 sit ups. Then lying on my stomach I do push up my front body keeping legs on the floor lifting hips off the ground to stretch out my abs and after I do that I do 20-30 pushups since I am in position. Sometimes after all of that I do another 2 minutes of jump roping or jumping jacks. Occasionally I may do mountain climbers. Then we start class. When I am at home in my garage training I do the same routine and switch things up a little. At home I have an elliptical machine so I will do 30 minutes on that first, then start my warmup.

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ive formed an opinion that most '' old '' people and by thar i means 50s onwards, dont want to do anything about their increasing ailments they just want to moan about them

tell them they can sort their shoulders or knees out with a few months of effort ( and possibly discomfort) and they look at you like your mad, completely mad, for one reason amongst possibly many is they wont have anything to talk about

which is the reason i avoid the company of people my age, they are so negative about everything, they can spend hours competing asd to who jhas the worse shoulders, before moving on to complain about the youth of today, music TV Every b;oody thing is worse than when they were young

I bumped to an an old associate the other week, he looked like a beach ball, he told me about his gout, his bladder , his gout again, bad shoulders, his bad knees his diabetes, and i though for gods sake man sort yourself out your 58 not 88

then he set off about the youth of today all being wild, i couldn't believe my ears, he was a one man crime wave when he was 17, there wasnt a car or a motorbike stolen in 5 miles he wasnt involved in, there some definite karma involved in him keep having his car broken into

after 10 mins of winging i couldn't stand it any longer, god it was depressing so, i carried on my run whilst he hobbled off on his dodgy knees

i hate old people

BTW I am 51 and focus on what I can do, not what I cannot do. A few of the 3rd and 4th dans in my dojo are in their mid fifties and we have a 4th dan who is 68 and keeps up with everyone. However he has been training for at least 30 years.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BTW I am 51 and focus on what I can do, not what I cannot do. A few of the 3rd and 4th dans in my dojo are in their mid fifties and we have a 4th dan who is 68 and keeps up with everyone. However he has been training for at least 30 years.
well in that case you will never improve will you ? and what you can do will get less and less

you can easily be as fit and active in your 50s as you were in your twenties, (provided you wernt exceptionally fit in your twenties, in which case knock 20 % off), you just have to actually try, quite hard quite often

Last edited:

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well in that case you will never improve will you ? and what you can do will get less and less

you can easily be as fit and active in your 50s as you were in your twenties, (provided you wernt exceptionally fit in your twenties, in which case knock 20 % off), you just have to actually try, quite hard quite often

Agreed, I started karate when I was 11 did that for a while until my mom pulled me out because I was getting into too many fights. Then did weight training for 19 years and came back to karate in my 30s and love training. I have been training 4 to 5 times weekly for 12 years. I don't see much drop off from when I was younger. What I will do will continue as long as I stay consistent and active. I love training for the sake of training.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to use the first couple hours of my day as what I considered a warm up. The particulars of the warm up would depend on what the day or two before consisted of. That becomes important when you’re fortunate to be training full time.

Used to be twenty minutes of jump rope, joint loosening and lots and lots of stretching.
After twenty years or so the body adjusts to what has become it’s norm. From that point on warm ups weren’t as long, and eventually kind of disappeared. Sparring became the warm up. Sparring as the first work of the day, kind of like a cup of coffee. Started just throwing hands, moving around, using legs mostly for checks and jams, eventually rising to light head kicks.

Nowadays warm ups are a cup of good coffee, then digging through my vast excuse book to look for ways out of working out completely.

I think I’m going to be good at this.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to use the first couple hours of my day as what I considered a warm up. The particulars of the warm up would depend on what the day or two before consisted of. That becomes important when you’re fortunate to be training full time.

Used to be twenty minutes of jump rope, joint loosening and lots and lots of stretching.
After twenty years or so the body adjusts to what has become it’s norm. From that point on warm ups weren’t as long, and eventually kind of disappeared. Sparring became the warm up. Sparring as the first work of the day, kind of like a cup of coffee. Started just throwing hands, moving around, using legs mostly for checks and jams, eventually rising to light head kicks.

Nowadays warm ups are a cup of good coffee, then digging through my vast excuse book to look for ways out of working out completely.

I think I’m going to be good at this.
I resemble that remark brother.

I dragged my wife (and myself) to a class Monday night. She has not worked out in quite a long time. Thought she would just jump back into class like old times. Of course she is paying for it today. I warned her but you can guess how much good that done.
I still do a light stretch everyday but have done very little true working out since January. So my 57 year old bones and muscles feel it but not too bad. We will workout tomorrow and Friday and see how it goes but I have to keep her going so she can work through that initial wave of total suck.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I start everyone warm up slow. I begin with exercises that help me develop my footwork. I start off slow, then slowly pick up the pace. I have a warm up with every exercise. Once I get my warm up in, I do warm up punches before punching, warm up kicks before kicking. The warm up exercises are the same as my workout exercises but at a slower pace.

I also stretch doing my workouts as well.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you get used to do warm up before your fight, what will happen that one day you have to fight in the street but you don't have time to do your warm up and stretching.

Last edited:
OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you get used to do warm up before your fight, what will happen that one day you have to fight in the street but you don't have time to do your warm up and stretching.

I would say it is still very, very wise to warmup before you train, which, essentially could be seen as 'practice' :)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For "mat" type classes, i.e. judo, bjj, aikido stuff... I start out sitting on the mat, legs spread (V-sit), just a bit of groin stretching going on, non-ballistic. While doing that I run through a bit of neck and wrist/arm movements for range of motion (as OP said, "activation"). Once done with neck & arm stuff, I widen the V-sit and work through a bit of hammy and groin warm-up type "stretches," though less stretching going on than light use, getting blood going.

Then I'll normally sort of ball up, kind of a concave cup shape and roll around, across my shoulders, down the sides, across the hips, up the other side, basic ground movement stuff, then over into a pushup and do some scoops, then up and bend over and hang in a hammy stretch, and then it's time to start.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

As funny and silly as that whole scene is, including the fight choreography, the silliest part about it is the obvious paintings in the background to make it look like they were in some big complex structure.

Latest Discussions