Your personal warmup

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was curious what everyone's personal specific warmup is that they do prior to any martial arts training/class.

I'm sure we all have those injuries, niggles, or parts that tweak more easily than others, so thought it would be cool to share ways we make sure certain parts of us are warmed up or more accurately, activated and ready to go! And it may change over time as you learn to works for your body, and also how your understanding evolves as to certain injuries and limitations you may have.

For me, my main focus (done in this sequential order) is currently:

1. Making sure I'm actually quite relaxed through the core, abdominals and pelvic floor prior to training (which is actually opposite to what many do, in which they activate their core more!). This is due to my pelvic tension issues which can be exacerbated from intense training, so I firstly start with a deep 'sitting' squat which helps lengthen and relax the pelvic muscles. I then move into a cobra stretch which stretches the abdominal muscles, very important. I then might do some cat-cows or pelvic rocks.

2. Knees! My knees have been struggling a little over the past year or two, so apart from all rehab/'bulletproofing' stuff I do on my off days, I will then move to do:

-leg extension isometrics: sitting down legs out straight in front, I will raise one leg, 'extending' it isometrically, and doing hese in 10s holds, 2-3 sets per leg. Isometrics I find are really great to start with activating the muscle groups and surrounding area prior to dynamic movement. Get some blood flow and also conscious connection. Sometimes I will simultaneously push downwards with the opposing leg too for the same 10s (hamstring/glute activation).

-bridge push/pull isometrics: some more isometrics. I lay down on my back and bring my heels as close to my butt as I can. I then push up into a bridge position, and try to do knee extension (but not move anywhere), pushing forwards for 5s, then pull BACK trying to do knee flexion but again, no movement. 5s there too and then lower myself. I do 3 sets of each push/pull.

(So these two isometric exercises focus on that end range of motion activation, first in full knee extension, second in almost full knee flexion.)

Then I move into more movement/dynamic work.

-the standard standing knee circles, working towards big circles in a slow manner.

-deep knee bend squats, knees travelling OVER toes and coming up onto balls of feet. About 10-12 or so. The last few I will actually keep lowering forwards so my knees touch the ground, for that end range/stretch of quads.

These don't take long at all, just a couple of minutes! I've found it helps my knees be ready and less aching/tweaking after training.

3. Shoulders. These have been a bit tweaky from time to time, so I do a little for them.

-rotator cuff isometrics. I find a pole put my arm in an L-shape (90°) and do 5s isometric pushes and pulls at the 3 stages: hand out to side, hand facing forwards, and hand crossing in front of body.

-slow shoulder rotations: not the standard fast paced ones, but really slowly rotate them with full use of the shoulder blades too, activating them fully and pushing out, up, back and down as the arms go round. 2-3 times each direction.

I then do my generic warmup, starting from the ground and working my way up (ankles/achilles, bit more knees, hips, torso, shoulders, chest, wrists, neck).

Also one thing I do DURING training, just to unwind or decompress, is to simply shake the shoulders out, moreso shake them back and downwards a few times if I've been holding too much tension in them, and doing a little hip wobble to also just bring my energy down.

What do YOU do specifically? Think it'd be great to get ideas from everyone, and what they find really helps :)

Ps. And btw, not by any means a 'medical advice' thread, but just would be cool to share ideas.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personal as a student or a teacher?

And do you mean before class or the warmup in the beginning of the class itself? Thanks, Simon.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was curious what everyone's personal specific warmup is that they do prior to any martial arts training/class.

I'm sure we all have those injuries, niggles, or parts that tweak more easily than others, so thought it would be cool to share ways we make sure certain parts of us are warmed up or more accurately, activated and ready to go! And it may change over time as you learn to works for your body, and also how your understanding evolves as to certain injuries and limitations you may have.

For me, my main focus (done in this sequential order) is currently:

1. Making sure I'm actually quite relaxed through the core, abdominals and pelvic floor prior to training (which is actually opposite to what many do, in which they activate their core more!). This is due to my pelvic tension issues which can be exacerbated from intense training, so I firstly start with a deep 'sitting' squat which helps lengthen and relax the pelvic muscles. I then move into a cobra stretch which stretches the abdominal muscles, very important. I then might do some cat-cows or pelvic rocks.

2. Knees! My knees have been struggling a little over the past year or two, so apart from all rehab/'bulletproofing' stuff I do on my off days, I will then move to do:

-leg extension isometrics: sitting down legs out straight in front, I will raise one leg, 'extending' it isometrically, and doing hese in 10s holds, 2-3 sets per leg. Isometrics I find are really great to start with activating the muscle groups and surrounding area prior to dynamic movement. Get some blood flow and also conscious connection. Sometimes I will simultaneously push downwards with the opposing leg too for the same 10s (hamstring/glute activation).

-bridge push/pull isometrics: some more isometrics. I lay down on my back and bring my heels as close to my butt as I can. I then push up into a bridge position, and try to do knee extension (but not move anywhere), pushing forwards for 5s, then pull BACK trying to do knee flexion but again, no movement. 5s there too and then lower myself. I do 3 sets of each push/pull.

(So these two isometric exercises focus on that end range of motion activation, first in full knee extension, second in almost full knee flexion.)

Then I move into more movement/dynamic work.

-the standard standing knee circles, working towards big circles in a slow manner.

-deep knee bend squats, knees travelling OVER toes and coming up onto balls of feet. About 10-12 or so. The last few I will actually keep lowering forwards so my knees touch the ground, for that end range/stretch of quads.

These don't take long at all, just a couple of minutes! I've found it helps my knees be ready and less aching/tweaking after training.

3. Shoulders. These have been a bit tweaky from time to time, so I do a little for them.

-rotator cuff isometrics. I find a pole put my arm in an L-shape (90°) and do 5s isometric pushes and pulls at the 3 stages: hand out to side, hand facing forwards, and hand crossing in front of body.

-slow shoulder rotations: not the standard fast paced ones, but really slowly rotate them with full use of the shoulder blades too, activating them fully and pushing out, up, back and down as the arms go round. 2-3 times each direction.

I then do my generic warmup, starting from the ground and working my way up (ankles/achilles, bit more knees, hips, torso, shoulders, chest, wrists, neck).

Also one thing I do DURING training, just to unwind or decompress, is to simply shake the shoulders out, moreso shake them back and downwards a few times if I've been holding too much tension in them, and doing a little hip wobble to also just bring my energy down.

What do YOU do specifically? Think it'd be great to get ideas from everyone, and what they find really helps :)

Ps. And btw, not by any means a 'medical advice' thread, but just would be cool to share ideas.
your warm up is longer than my work out, i have a little program en that hit all the joints and the major muscle groups and takes a couple of mins, your trying to warm them up, not wear them out

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personal as a student or a teacher?

And do you mean before class or the warmup in the beginning of the class itself? Thanks, Simon.
Ah yeah sorry I meant just your own personal warmup before you train yourself (as a student, not as a teacher guiding students, but specific to what works well for you to get specific tender parts ready to go).

Yeah just before you start your session (whether solo training or in group class) whether there was anything you feel needs more attention that you purposely make sure to warm up, mobilise, activate etc.

Eg some people have back issues and they make sure to do specific mobility drills before the training session to get it good to go.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
your warm up is longer than my work out, i have a little program en that hit all the joints and the major muscle groups and takes a couple of mins, your trying to warm them up, not wear them out
Hahaha... truly doesn't take too long, 10mins tops, truly! [emoji14]

Yeah that's the idea, and I'm not exhausted after I do my stuff. I'd even prefer to slightly overdo it than under-do it.

That being said, I did my usual stuff today before a session, but still managed to tweak my knee during the session, ugh... I'm thinking of adding/replacing something a bit more dynamic to get the tendons ready for the more explosive work. I think that's what gets me, my routine may not really get things ready for if I do more explosive footwork and kicking. Will have a ponder..

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hahaha... truly doesn't take too long, 10mins tops, truly! [emoji14]

Yeah that's the idea, and I'm not exhausted after I do my stuff. I'd even prefer to slightly overdo it than under-do it.

That being said, I did my usual stuff today before a session, but still managed to tweak my knee during the session, ugh... I'm thinking of adding/replacing something a bit more dynamic to get the tendons ready for the more explosive work. I think that's what gets me, my routine may not really get things ready for if I do more explosive footwork and kicking. Will have a ponder..
heres mine
or rather his but i use it

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
heres mine
or rather his but i use it

That's great, cheers for that. Quite liked that routine, hits everything. All movements I haven't really seen commonly done around, but I like anything that you can flow between like that.

Yeah I've found alot of Jeff's stuff very helpful. Even moreso, the comments section is always hilarious XD

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My personal karate warmup:

A few squats, big arm circles, splits (kind of), toe touches, trunk and neck rolls, shake loose and I'm ready to go. Elapsed time, 2 min. max.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have found that for me it is much more important to get the blood pumping and a decent sweat going before really stretching. I usually start with shoulder circles, light squats, light front and crescent kicks, light air punches. For my hips and lower back I do a modified outside crescent where I keep the knee bent and the foot in, just working on the hip rotation. I am a big believer in blood flow and heat preventing muscle/joint injury.
I do much better hard stretching at the End of class or when I am really good and warmed up.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have found that for me it is much more important to get the blood pumping and a decent sweat going before really stretching. I usually start with shoulder circles, light squats, light front and crescent kicks, light air punches. For my hips and lower back I do a modified outside crescent where I keep the knee bent and the foot in, just working on the hip rotation. I am a big believer in blood flow and heat preventing muscle/joint injury.
I do much better hard stretching at the End of class or when I am really good and warmed up.

Awesome, that's actually a really good point and something I've probably neglected, that is getting a bit of a sweat up prior to my other stuff. Something I will definitely incorporate to see if it helps.

I'll come up with something full body, used to just do star jumps back in the day but don't know if my knees will like me going straight into that. Maybe jogging on the spot, to sprints on the spot, pushups etc. Light kicks and punches..

Thanks for that

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awesome, that's actually a really good point and something I've probably neglected, that is getting a bit of a sweat up prior to my other stuff. Something I will definitely incorporate to see if it helps.

I'll come up with something full body, used to just do star jumps back in the day but don't know if my knees will like me going straight into that. Maybe jogging on the spot, to sprints on the spot, pushups etc. Light kicks and punches..

Thanks for that

I definitely have to start with things that do not load the knees.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not sure I'm following. The class does cardio and calisthenics together at the start of class.

Where I train, it goes straight from peewee class, to children's, to teens, then to adults - so there's no time before class where we can get on the mat and do our own personal warmups.

Do you do this at home before hopping in the car to go train?

Personally, I stop at the Dollar Tree and get a can of Rip It.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure I'm following. The class does cardio and calisthenics together at the start of class.

Where I train, it goes straight from peewee class, to children's, to teens, then to adults - so there's no time before class where we can get on the mat and do our own personal warmups.

Do you do this at home before hopping in the car to go train?

Personally, I stop at the Dollar Tree and get a can of Rip It.

Hehe that's a warmup right there!

Ah yes so I meant just any extra things you do for yourself that you feel you need prior to the generic class warmup. But I don't need the mat space to do it, but just a little space of my own to do what I need to do.

I definitely don't do it before getting in the car, but when I get there there's usually 15 minutes or so before class, that's when I do it (or if online training I will just do it before the session starts).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now that the knee semi-works
...Medicine Balls, from 4 to 20 lbs, and stationary Bike

Struggling with rotator cuff tendonitis for the last four or five months. Can't even do a bong-sau or reach behind my back with my left arm, and the pain wakes me up at night if I do any heavy lifting ...like pulling up the covers. But if I do a couple of sets of 200 chain punches and five minutes of sinawali drills, my arms warm up enough to get through a class. Then I pay for it later.

Tried physical therapy. Paid for that later too (I'm a teacher in AZ with rock bottom pay and crappy insurance).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Struggling with rotator cuff tendonitis for the last four or five months. Can't even do a bong-sau or reach behind my back with my left arm, and the pain wakes me up at night if I do any heavy lifting ...like pulling up the covers. But if I do a couple of sets of 200 chain punches and five minutes of sinawali drills, my arms warm up enough to get through a class. Then I pay for it later.

Tried physical therapy. Paid for that later too (I'm a teacher in AZ with rock bottom pay and crappy insurance).
Sorry to hear that @geezer . I have a hot pack I can put in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute that does a really good job of getting a joint warmed up. Possibly something like that would help you with getting the shoulder warmed up.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I sorted out my ''old shoulders'' by lying on a bench, putting my arms held straight behind my head, letting gravity take them and bringing them round in an arc to my waist, the pain was so intense i was getting flashing lights, but over a couple of months they freed up considerably,

then i went for bonus points by getting a progressively shorter length of rope and moving it trough full range of movement behind my back,,, there as good now as they were when i was 20

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I sorted out my ''old shoulders'' by lying on a bench, putting my arms held straight behind my head, letting gravity take them and bringing them round in an arc to my waist, the pain was so intense i was getting flashing lights, but over a couple of months they freed up considerably,

then i went for bonus points by getting a progressively shorter length of rope and moving it trough full range of movement behind my back,,, there as good now as they were when i was 20
It confounds me how little real, good physical therapy is not use First as a remedy to joint/bone issue. I love my Ortho but I know he is a bone cutter first so I cannot listen to all of his advise.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Sorry to hear this, don't over do and I hope you get some relief soon

By the way, I spoke to soon, knee is not working today, shooting pain from the knee to the foot when I walk, back on a cane...again

Latest Discussions