Your personal training concept

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how people here dose their training.
How long and intensively do you train and do you train every day or take breaks in-between?

I have talked to all sorts of people. Some say daily training is important and others say breaks are vital so the body can regenerate.

How do you do it and what is your opinion?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
The short version.

Wake up go run (usually 2 miles, I'm so lazy) at the local park down the block as well as body weight workout and calisthenics. If the weather is bad I swim instead.

At some point in the evening after work or whatever I'm doing I do yoga, more body weight and calisthenics. This is usually an hour or hour and a half that leads right into my 6:00 shower then dinner.

As for karate itself, my Sensei has not taught professionally in a few years since he's working full time as an architect now. So we get together on Friday evenings, Saturday afternoons and Sunday afternoons as well. If he is not available usually it's his son and I, we are of an age, though he actually does grading so he's a 5th to my 3rd.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how people here dose their training.
How long and intensively do you train and do you train every day or take breaks in-between?

I have talked to all sorts of people. Some say daily training is important and others say breaks are vital so the body can regenerate.

How do you do it and what is your opinion?

Good question thank you! I'm trying to get my fitness back and am reading as you said lots of different strategies, alternate day training, one day of a week training etc etc. I work shifts so it's hard at the best of times to try to get a proper fitness regime in place, it's very hit and miss with me.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point in my life I only train 3 days a week. Those days are spent on doing forms and working on licks ( my legs/knees are gone so I need this). I may devote some time to a single self defense concept expanding on what it may accomplish.
Exercise and stretching I need to do every day just to keep limber . Running, no way, my knees can no longer take it but I do walk anywhere in town that I need to go.

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I train 4 days a week (and practice my forms at home daily generally).
Monday - Iaido, Tuesday & Thursday - Kenpo, Friday - sparring.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Early on when during the early years of my training, I trained 6 or more hours a day, 6 days a week. I would run, lift weights and go to class or work out with other people during off days of class. Then as time went on I became burnt out. My progress was substantial to a point of getting the basics down, and memorizing the techniques to becoming a reflex action, Working harder was fine, but there was a point where I needed, I felt, to work smarter. Hitting a point in my training where I plateaued and age, there was a realization of a need to better understand the mechanics of the techniques. Thinking back that may have been a natural progression. I cut back my training. I started training three days a week doing conditioning and going to class. The off-days where spent investigating on how to improve the application and principles of the techniques. The results of that where better results physically and in class. My instructor kept insisting to train hard like I was everyday for the rest of my life. At the time, it was my thinking that there where greater benefits of doing things differently. I felt I needed to change things up. When I did, there was a spike in my development. I became much more tighter and powerful in my technique. Giving my self time to contemplate what I was doing, and not just remotely perform it, improved my mechanics redefining my performance goals. Working hard isn't wrong, rote practice and conditioning it is a required skill, a great platform to start with, but at some point there needs to be a change toward expanding developing the mechanics. I understand my sensei's point of view of the demands of being disciplined, developing stamina, and a laser beam focus, ultimately will lead to the same thing. That being the longest road didn't had many pot holes and bumps. Developing the mental and physical strength of a world champion Ironman Athlete, may have been traditional and made fine warriors with great mental strength, but not it wasn't about improving on something that already existed. Similar to the idea that the Japanese are known for improving on something that already invented, making it better. I came to the understanding to improve there must be a reconfiguration, a re-thinking on the approach of training for it to be the most beneficial thing all the way around. I conclude after the several decades of training, it is the middle road, is the best road, you need both training philosophies, to really get the most development and improvement.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I go to the dojo twice a week, 2 hours per session. I try to practice my kata in the backyard whenever I have a spare moment.

I was working out in the gym three days a week on the elliptical machine for roughly 45 minutes each session, but I stopped doing that a year ago. My weight has gone up and my endurance has gone down. I am planning to start again now that the weather is better here in Michigan.

That's about it.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lately, I've been working heavy cardio combined with resistance training 5 days a week for around 90 min a day and doing various kata through out the day 7days a week.

Sometimes I'll only do a small part of a kata, but I'll do it 20-30 times that day until something clicks or something else gives out.

I work stances alot here and there. Work schedule has precluded joining a class here and I will eventually take a student or two, but I'm in no hurry to force an opportunity to open up when my schedule's not ready.

Honestly, I'm not training nearly as hard as I have in the past, but I'm not vegging, either.

Latest Discussions