Your First Day

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How did you feel the first time you walked into you dojo? Dojang? Kwoon?

Were you intimidated?
Were you nervous?
Were you immortal?

The first day I walked into the dojang, I was so anxious. I didn't really know what to expect; so, I puffed out my chest and called forth all the military discipline I could and stood as stiff as possible and did exactly what I was told.

My first sparring, too, was stiff and formal because I was certain I was going to go home with a broken bone or bloody something.

Naturally, I learned I could relax and I never got a broken bone; though, I have had several bloody somethings since then.

How was your first day?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first day was son put on your shoes we are going to the beach got there and my father started to teach me, it has never stopped for me 43 years now, heck that is longer than both marriages?
Terry

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
My first day was son put on your shoes we are going to the beach got there and my father started to teach me, it has never stopped for me 43 years now, heck that is longer than both marriages?
Terry

now, THAT is cool...you're Dad teaching you :) I hope to pass some skills on to my daughter, as well.

Thanks, Terry :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea it was a blast around the house, now I do as my dad did teach my wife and three wonderful sons. I only hope I can be as great of a teacher as my dad was.
Rest in peace father
Terry

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was nervous (not intimidated), and felt like I had 2 left feet.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
How did you feel the first time you walked into you dojo? Dojang? Kwoon?

Excited

OnlyAnEgg said:
Were you intimidated?

No, a friend of mine told me I needed to work off some steam and took me to a class.

OnlyAnEgg said:
Were you nervous?

Only of possible huritng someone by mistake.

OnlyAnEgg said:
Were you immortal?

Nope! I knew my limitations. The Steam I needed to work off was being a witness to a bad stabbing, so no immortality for me.

OnlyAnEgg said:
How was your first day?

GREAT! I never stopped training after that. I also worked off some steam.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first day at my first studio I was curious and a bit anxious. When I left that style and walked into my current dojo for the first time the only way I can describe my feeling was "I'm home".

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first day was horrible. So was my second, and third...the first classes were not a lot of fun at all...I felt so horribly lost. The assistant instructor working with me was doing her best to keep me encouraged...but...I've never done well in group exercise and I was starting to feel that Kenpo was no different.

My first class with the senior instructor though...totally different. I was stumbling through a block set when my instructor came over to me and asked me how I was doing. I wasn't doing well and let him know precisely that. By the end of that class he had transformed my attitude, as well as my performance. He had zeroed in on my learning block and overcame it. He tried to tell me to hang in there or something like that. The only words that came out of my mouth were "I trust you."

I think that was the beginning of my addiction to Kenpo. :D

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally was scared to death. I didn't want to once I got there at first but I fell in love with once I started in. Haven't stopped since then.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had some training from a friend before I started formally training in Karate (age 14). A friend of mine ran a series of free classes, twice a week, over at the church, and had trained us in Tae Kwon Do. He showed us the basic techniques of the style, as well as some elementary stances, and a decent array of kicks. Basically, what I learned from him in those 6 weeks, was what got me started in Karate. Nobody was intimidated, since we were all newbies, no experience, etc., and he still found a way to give some good instruction. To be able to do teach newbies like we were, and to still get the message across and make everyone feel pretty good about this, is a wonderful ability that every instructor would certainly like to have.

I wanted to train in his dojang, but unfortunately, the school was a good distance (he only came to that church because of family ties). The only reasonable place was over at the local "Y," where a good Shotokan instructor was teaching classes for a minimal amount of money.

When I started there, it was somewhat intimidating. I was only one of four white belts in a class full of all sorts of ranks, and many of these higher ranks were significantly younger. I did have an advantage, though, that the previous training fit in quite nicely with the cirriculum, and the previous fundamentals taught very closely matched what the sensei wanted.

Overall, I certainly enjoyed my first day, once I got past the initial apprehension.

A more recent experience of "my first day," though, was when I took my first Jiu-Jitsu class, after having over a dozen years of Karate experience. I was in pretty good shape even then, and accepted an offer to come train with another friend, who was taking Jiu-Jitsu, for a month.

Now THIS was a time of apprehension. Here I was, doing things that were very unfamiliar. I had already learned various breakfalls, takedowns, locks, throws, in Karate, but compared to these guys, what I had learned was nothing more than a couple of breadcrumbs in a picnic basket. The hardest part was forcing the body to relax when taking that impact from all sorts of positions that I had never dreamed of doing.

After that first class was over, I didn't want to get up from the mats. Sore, exhausted, and ready to fall asleep right there.

My friend cheerfully said "Hey! Come on! We're going out for a few beers. We need to kill off this excess energy!" I mumbled something about leaving me there to die in peace, but did end up managing to pull myself off the floor, get changed, and enjoy a few rounds of cold brew.

Despite all of the aches and pains, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Jiu-Jitsu school. As part of the deal, my friends had to come over to the Karate dojo, and train in Karate for a month. Halfway through the first class, they were winded. At the end of the class, one wanted to puke, especially after I offered to buy him several rounds of cold beer. Still, everyone enjoyed that month as well. :)

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was really nervous. It was a style that I knew very little about. I knew I could do whatever was thrown at me but my concern was more along the lines of wondering if people would want to work with a newbie. My concerns were put at ease as soon as warm-ups were over. The class was very relaxed and fun. No one minded working with a new person and everyone was very nice. I've been hooked ever since! I was so excited about class that my husband decided to check it out and now we both train together. :D

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
I was nervous (not intimidated), and felt like I had 2 left feet.

All that plus I realized that I didn't know my right from my left...lol

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i guess i was nervous but wasnt aware of it
my shoulders were really stiff that the teacher came over and grabbed me from my shrugs saying "RELAX"

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm All I can remember is putting on my crisp new gi and falling on my *** from a overzealous side kick. That was pretty embarrassing...

splazzatch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was very nervous because I had never done it before and thought it was something I could try. I was instantly in love with it and have never lost it.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well when i was young I always wanted to study kung fu and when i ws in my teens I was very shy so the thought of turning up to a formal Martial Arts class was very intimidating. I was lucky enough to have a friend of my sisters teach me s a little kung fu but not much! A couple of years later a friend of my mums took me to a taekwondo class but i didn't like.
When i was 21 i realised that the little training and knowledge i had was a joke because i used to train myself and though i had trained myself so i was pretty flexible I needed help. I decided to seek out classes and after going to a couple and getting a panic attack as soon as I reached the door I nearly gave up! The last time was when i went to a Tang soo do class but only made it as far as the door as i was too shy to introduce myself. As I left I spotted a poster for a Kung fu class and determined not to fail again I called the number and went to the class! I was greeted by a friendly instructor and i have enjoyed it ever since!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was totally lost. Even tho I was 14, I might as well have been 6. One of the BB's actually said to me (in a joking way) "No, your other left leg." The mixture of English & Korean didn't help either. I think I misheard the English commands, too.:uhyeah:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first time dad took me to show me what he did when he wasn't being dad and laying brick. I went to his hapkido class and was just awe struck. I guess now 21 yrs later I still am by my dad.

Latest Discussions