Typical First Day Question? I know its a loaded question but do your best.....

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

With my school, it's basically a option given to you to just watch one whole class first or jump in and try it out with no obligation to sign up.

If you watch, the instructors will take turns having a chat to you while everyone else trains and explain a bit about the history of the art (Ninjutsu) and find out what you are after, any previous experience, things like that.

If you try it out (or join) then it's a free warm up/stretch period before class. When class starts, you are seated in ranks, meditation follows, brief rundown of topics that will be covered that class, bow and then off to get whatever gear you need for the exercise to follow. Then a newbie on their first day will just be assimilated into the class and will get to spar and practice techniques with and against all the different practitioners (white belt right upto the sensei's themselves). Once the class is over, you seat in ranks again, the sensei's open up the floor to the students to share any feedback/comments about the class followed by any presentations (certificates, belts etc) and bow out with a round of applause for all the other practitioners before getting changed and going home.

But... this is the first dojo I've seen where it's like that. Usually, you might expect to be training with other beginners for a while. I know that's how it was when I did Goju Ryu back in the day but everyone does it different. Just watch a class if you can and you should be able to get a general idea

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I study jujitsu and here's a typical workout.

Bows-to tatami and sensei

Warm-up: strecting-a little cardio-wrist warmups etc.

Ukemi's- always ukemis first for us.

Sensei or Shihan usually quizes us on the lesson we had last workout.

New waza(technique) Practice in pairs- not really randori just learning.

Line drill stuff- atemi's/Uke's

Bow out.

We have class twice a week, but the wednesday class is only an hour and a half but the satuday is two and a half hours so we always go more in depth with randori etc on saturdays.

I love every minute!!!!!:D

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I study Shaolin Longfist and here is what my first day was like,

30 minute private lesson where the instructor goes over basic stances, a few basic techniques , and gives you enough to be able to follow along in class. Once class begins there is 2-5 minutes of meditation, then we stretch for the 5-10 minutes ( warm up kicks, neck , shoulders, hips, legs, etc...) the rest of the class varies depending on the instructor , however, on average, we do kicking drills, work on our forms, hand technique drills, Chin Na ( grappling), and weapons forms for the intermediate students. Get ready to sweat is all I can say. Don't push too hard , get a feel for the class, the students as well as the teacher, don't worry about speed and keeping up with the class if you fall behind on certain techniques. Observe and practice proper form and technique, speed and power will come with time and practice.