Your First Art

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the people out there that train in more than one art, how many still train in their base art? Kenpo was and always will be my base art. Although I've changed schools a few times, I'm still active in it.:) I started to explore BJJ when I was around Brown in Kenpo. Later on, I began another journey into Modern Arnis. For me, I think that these arts blend very well together. Of course, I always enjoy having the chance to workout with others from various arts. Not necessarily to get rank, but just simply for the workout.:)

What about everyone else?

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well started out in Okinawa Karate and Judo now it is primary just TKD of course it is mostly Traditional with me and some Olympic, but I still dabble in the old Okinawa art as well.
terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started in TKD, then trained in Western boxing & Full contact rules kickboxing. Now I'm back full time in TKD.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Started in Shotokan Karate, went to Tae Kwon Do, went back to Shotokan Karate, then wandered around a bit more during my grad school years, trying another style of Karate, and even training a bit in Jiu-Jitsu.

In the end, I didn't quite come back full circle, but ended up in training in one of the Wado systems (Shotokan's cousin :) ).

It wasn't a matter of loyalty; I would have glady stayed in any of the above systems, but as a grad student and later on, as a postdoc, I was moving from one city to another, living like a gypsy, and having my heart ripped apart by having to say goodbyes to some really good people at each dojo. It was also a matter of what was available in the area. Maybe I could have stuck with one of the other systems, but I wasn't willing to travel 3 hours one way, to train at the nearest schoolm nor could I, because of the job.

In the end, though, I'm glad that I did get those chances to train under different teachers in different styles. Even different teachers within the same style was a nice benefit, since it showed that you can certainly take different approaches to teaching, and still be successful. I hope to stick around in the current system for a long time, but if fate has me moving elsewhere, and not being able to continue in that, then I'll just have to start writing another chapter in my life's book!

The only knock that I have against myself for having wandered around so much, is that every dojo where I began anew, considered me as "unorthodox." Still, despite this, I felt at home at each place, probably because there were good hearted people there, that were more than willing to help.

One thing for certain, it's nice to have settled down...

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Started in TKD, have since done over 20+ arts. TKD is tatooed on my body in korean but no longer practiced much. Most time is spent on Kenpo and Ju Jitsu.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was brought along to my dads hapkido class first. I started learning Judo. I got to brown in Judo. Now I am back with Hapkido, I am also studying Tae Kwon Do.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Started in American Kenpo, and still training. I tried Judo briefly before going to JuJitsu as my second style.

- Ceicei

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started out in Wrestling -if that counts. From there I went into Ju Jutsu and I've been with it ever since. Although I have done other things along the way Ju Jutsu has always been at the center of what I teach and do.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started in TKD and though I've also trained in other Korean arts along the way including Hapkido, Kumdo and HaedongKumdo, I've never stopped TKD. Never will I hope. It's in my bones. :)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started in Tang Soo Do. I would still be in it if I didn't move (and with no TSD dojangs here :( ). I did WTF style TKD for 4 and 1/2 years (almost 5). I just recently switched to ITF. I dabbled in other stuff, like Judo. I stuck to Jujitsu, because it suits me better, as well as the ITF dojang that I'm with now (it kinda reminds me of my TSD dojang. Just a different system).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All Kenpo, All the time!! :D

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Started with TKD for a few weeks, but then stumbled on kenpo and have loved it ever since.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Started with TKD as a teenager, and studied it for 2.5 years. Since then, all of the MA I've trained in have been Japanese: YSKR, Aikido, and Kobudo for a few months (about six years ago).

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wado was the first style I started training seriously in not too long ago. It still is and will continue to be my primary focus, but since the Dojo only is open two days a week I have sampled a few other arts, like Kobudo (Katori Shinto Ryu) and Ju Jutsu. I`d like to try Aikido and FMA too but for the moment I am happy practicing Wado and JJ. So much to learn and sweat for, so little time. :cool:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tracy Kenpo was my first art. I have drifted away from it during periods of time when I have been training in other arts, but I always seem to come back to it.

I still practice it in my own way, but I have made some extensive modifications to it.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started training in Muay Thai because I was too chicken to train with the "cool kids" in TKD. Trained it today, in fact.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
With all the people out there that train in more than one art, how many still train in their base art? Kenpo was and always will be my base art. Although I've changed schools a few times, I'm still active in it.:) I started to explore BJJ when I was around Brown in Kenpo. Later on, I began another journey into Modern Arnis. For me, I think that these arts blend very well together. Of course, I always enjoy having the chance to workout with others from various arts. Not necessarily to get rank, but just simply for the workout.:)

Mike

I started in TSD and didn't get so passionate about it. Kung Fu was really my bag, now that I am practicing Kajukenbo, I still like to bust out Cotton Fist during my private practice sessions. I would certainly love to continue on with KF, and once I get my bike back running and have some extra bux I may just start commuting to Sacramento to continue on training in Northern Eagle Claw.

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:

Mike

I started out on Karate and Im still doing it, it does get boring after a while, (especially if you have been training in the art for most of your life) but hey... Im not complaining.

I started learning different MA about 3-4 years ago and now im doing karate, TKD and ninjutsu,

Bobby