Your avatar: What is the story behind it?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Henderson said:
My current avatar is Miyagi Chojun Sensei, founder of Goju-Ryu.

In the past I've used pics of The Reaper (he's just cool), me and my daughters, and my family crest which I discovered while researching my Scottish heritage.

I like to change it up pretty frequently.

Frank
Hey Frank :) and so where bouts in bonnie Scotland did the fabled and much feared Hendersons turn out to be from?? now I am picturing your forefathers up at Castle Henderson defending the faith with big Highlander broadswords..

There can be only ONE, ha! :D

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Decided to change my avatar to a picture of me.... Just checking to see how it looks...

- Ceicei

I like it! Definitely original and unique!

Buddha1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mine's an Aikido throw from a german site I found. I know it's very simplistic and somewhat boring, but whenever I go to change it, I can't. It's just too aikidoish.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey Frank :) and so where bouts in bonnie Scotland did the fabled and much feared Hendersons turn out to be from??

Hi Jenna,

Turns out the Clan was huge. They inhabited most parts of Scotland (not like Scotland is all that big, right?) The majority were Highlander's though, or at least that's how it looks to me.

Frank

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a cool thread. Nice job! It's intersting to read about why people chose their avatars.

Right now my avatar is my company logo. No...it's not a tribute to "Gun's and Roses" :lol:

The logo actually represents something important to me.

1. The Key: Represents knowledge
2. The Rose: Represents life
3. The Gun: Represents Freedom

My old avatar was "Cerberus" the 3-headed guardian dog of hades.

That is because my little doogy is named Cerberus. Although he is like my kid, and he trained in tracking and protection, he's a real candyass. :) Seriously, he's like everybodys friend. He was so cute as a little puppy too, that naming him "Cerberus" was kind of like my little joke anyways. People call him "Serb" for short.

:)

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Someone told Calvin if he made a face, it would freeze like that. Him and Hobbes are verifying the veracity of that urban legend.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe I was discussing with two of our blackbelts the possibility of catching a very adorable little child who trains at my studio with a live trap. One of them commented that I was "Evilness in full bloom". I liked the ring of it.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife loves koalas, so I created a character for her a number of years ago. When I was looking for a cute image for the kids in my class, I used my koala character and here he is.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Hi Jenna,

Turns out the Clan was huge. They inhabited most parts of Scotland (not like Scotland is all that big, right?) The majority were Highlander's though, or at least that's how it looks to me.

Frank
Hey Frank :) I think all the genealogy stuff is really interesting and I can understand why so many of you yanks go tracing your roots around Britain and Europe and the most fervent are I think those with the Irish forefathers but it is all good and I would imagine being a true Scot you got a family tartan too? and so the sons of Hender really were Highlanders then I guess you must have a daily struggle to reign in that quickening and curb your urge to lop off your boss's head with the ol broadsword when he give ya grief?? ahh.. only quickening I ever had came after a few beers and a Vindaloo curry ;) Nah I is just jokin wid ya fer sure :D

oops sorry for this big mad thread drift here.. I will go off and edit myself out.. ttfn,
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kerr family of Edinburgh. Rievers, we were...chasing down into York, swiping cattle and killing the bloody Brits :)

Sero Sed Serio
Late, but in earnest.

Here's me own tartan:

Attachments

• $wr791r.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 173
OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jenna said:
oops sorry for this big mad thread drift here.. I will go off and edit myself out.. ttfn,
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Yeah...nice of you to hijack one of *my* threads. :whip:

Just messing with you, of course. ;) Anywho...just to get this thread back on track, what inspired you to select your avatar. It's a guardian angel, right?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Swordlady said:

Just messing with you, of course. ;) Anywho...just to get this thread back on track, what inspired you to select your avatar. It's a guardian angel, right?

It's from the movie, "Constatine," I do believe.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Neat thread! I change my avatars every now and then. Usually it's an anime character, but lately I've been using anime style Lord of the Ring icons. It was recently Arwen. Now it's Frodo. I think they're cute. :)

Robyn :asian:

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Kerr family of Edinburgh. Rievers, we were...chasing down into York, swiping cattle and killing the bloody Brits :)

Sero Sed Serio
Late, but in earnest.

Here's me own tartan:
A good scottish name Kerr with many variants too I believe and a cool tartan Jim did you get anything made up from it?? I know a few guys down here who they call sassanachs .. us limeys south of Hadrians wall who have pretentions to be scots that is.. but yes I know a few guys who got married in the kilt which I think is really cool and nice to see if I am allowed to say.. but now I am thinking..... No... it cannot be.... get away... Jim + Kerr? Jim Kerr from Scotland? my Sherlock sense says that can only mean one thing... Simple Minds? wow... small world and Don't You Forget About Me... an absolute 80s classic let me put it on see how you were sounding back then Jim, ha! and you will prolly not have a notion what I am blethering on about but no revelations there pffft, ha!

oops... drifting again.. but it is on last full moon before the solstice so I feel a strange urge to dress up pagan and run around amok disturbing the erstwhile tranquility of threads LOL :D sorry...

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Swordlady said:

Jennifer I apologise! :) but am NOT apologising on bended knees before you as the nape of my neck might be a red rag to you to lop off my noggin so I say sorry from a distance of GREATER than 1 arm + 1 blade, ha!

and bingo tkdgirl is correct and I am glad she recognised this from the film and I have this as my av for a few reasons not least of which is because I find Tilda Swinton a very attractive woman and who I met through a friend of a friend of a friend blah blah and in the flesh she has a beauty and intelligence and grace I have come across very very seldom before and she is a Cambridge grad which she did not say but I knew anyway and it is obvious to hear in her words when she speaks of things wow... amazing...

and anyway though I take strength in my av being a belief which I have and reminding me of people who I miss badly and but this av is not actually for me but rather for someone else here who when they see it I hope will remind them that it is ok to wish impossible things

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Henderson said:
You would be correct.... View attachment 6236

No thread drift...it's about avatars and what they mean. Completely ON topic to me.:)

Here's the crest I spoke of too...
View attachment 6235
See signature line below for translation.
Frank :) can I ask the same question to you also as to Egg.. have you actually worn your tartan made up as a garment or is a thing you would not do over there?? *interested* I think connection to roots is an important thing for everyone and I am glad you were able to trace your tree back through generations and I am envious in my position not knowing even thr root.. thank you for sharing.. and wow you mean your quote is from your family coat of arms? that is such a cool thing to know and to be able to say .. excellent!!!

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have Natalie Portman because she's classy, intelligent and beautiful. When a V for Vendetta Natalie avatar becomes available, I'll use that one.

Latest Discussions