you opinions on Silat and kali

TsunNew

White Belt
Reaction score

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the source for Silat, so that'd be a great option! I'm a Kali fan as a FMAer. I don't know that school, but PTK is the real deal and Wing Chun fits well with it.

OP
T

TsunNew

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah i went to check it seems like he knows his stuff. Very nice and..um gentle? if thats the right word. he sat right next to me and just told me history of him (impressive).

Also he noticed i wasnt tall at all, and said that he teaches kuntao silat that was used against the dutch, which were big guys.

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If that Silat source were here in Columbus, I probably would have ended my search when I found them. I cannot seem to find a Silat teacher here. Basically, I envy you :)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's about a thousand different kinds of Silat and Kali that range from pure sport to mystic woo-woo to some of the best martial arts out there. The two examples you've chosen fall firmly into the final category. Which one you prefer depends on the particular teacher and your own aptitude.

Willem de Thouars' Silat and Kun Tao are excellent. If you have a chance to study with him or senior students like Moffet or Orlando you will learn a lot of very practical stuff.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey there...

I've been doing Kali for about 5 months now as my second art.
We have focused mainly on stick work so far but have done a bit with knives.
I have to say besides being one of the most fun things i've done in a long time that knife defence is totally practical.

But at the end of the day it's like all arts - some people will love it others will hate it. So give it a go and find out which camp you belong to....

Cheers