Yip Man's san sao techniques(?)

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would a set of drills that one teacher thought would benefit his students at one time 50 years ago matter that much today? Any qualified teacher should be able to come up with the same.

Also, AFAIK, "Gwai Ma" refers to the general usage of the knee, not just a kneeling stance.

OP
Kwan Sau

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why would a set of drills that one teacher thought would benefit his students at one time 50 years ago matter that much today? Any qualified teacher should be able to come up with the same.

sorry my post bothers you.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not a matter of bothering, I'm genuinely curious - what value does this have?
None, unless one actually utilizes those drills.
What value does any drill have if it is only written. Same for any drill any qualified instructor were to come up with today. No value unless the drills is actually used.

OP
Kwan Sau

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry I am struggling in following this thread, what is the message? Thanks :)

No message. Just simple curiosity on my end. When I saw this list / post was reminded of certain portions of my WC upbringing. I am not that familiar with Chinese terms, so san sao / san sik peaked my curiousity. Figured some of the wise and experienced folks on here could provide feedback, etc.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No message. Just simple curiosity on my end. When I saw this list / post was reminded of certain portions of my WC upbringing. I am not that familiar with Chinese terms, so san sao / san sik peaked my curiousity. Figured some of the wise and experienced folks on here could provide feedback, etc.
---------------------------------------------
In Ip Man wing chun- san sik drills develop key movements and the flows fron to another. Different Ip Man lineages have arranged them in their own way.There are single hand development- 20 key motions- tan, bong, lop, lan, biu. Then kuen is done with the other hand, then small turns are added. Then there are two handed san sik drills about 10 of them including jip sao, can jam etc.Then two person drills with the san sik motions.
All motions will eventually emerge in chi sao and become embedded in one's reflexive actions. All motions are there in the forms.
Guidance is needed to do these things right.

Latest Discussions