Yes, I know Bill Mattocks might not want me to ask this but... Which grappling is best for me?

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha. Another one of those questions...

Here's the thing...

Locally, there is a very successful wrestling school where I live that seems to be legit. For the sake of simplicity, let's just all go ahead and assume the instructor/instructors are legit and are the real deal. Their clients are young athletes looking to compete in sanctioned wrestling matches... So there's them, and then...

There's also a traditional judo dojo close to where I live, led by a guy who won national level competitions in his sport in his younger years. The only issue I have with him is that him and his coach really emphasize how they are very traditional and they don't really aim to produce gold-medal winning fighters.

I'm a weightlifter and powerlifter first before I'm a martial artist. My true aim is to have enough combat (grappling) skills to dominate any same-sized hostile man who's out to harm me or a loved one, without having to resort to a weapon. And to me, self-defense does mean using lethal force when called for. So if he puts me in a position where I have to smash him to cripple-dom in order to get out of that ordeal, I don't mind doing it. Wrestling or judo be damned. I just wanna outmuscle any opponents without looking like I have a neurological impairment doing so.

Based on all of that, which do you think is the better choice for me? The bias that I have for judo here is that it's the official martial art of the Japanese metropolitan police force, while my bias for the wrestling instructor is that it might give me a good base for possible MMA bouts should I decide to take it to that level.

Thank you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Here's the thing...

Locally, there is a very successful wrestling school where I live that seems to be legit. For the sake of simplicity, let's just all go ahead and assume the instructor/instructors are legit and are the real deal. Their clients are young athletes looking to compete in sanctioned wrestling matches... So there's them, and then...

There's also a traditional judo dojo close to where I live, led by a guy who won national level competitions in his sport in his younger years. The only issue I have with him is that him and his coach really emphasize how they are very traditional and they don't really aim to produce gold-medal winning fighters.

I'm a weightlifter and powerlifter first before I'm a martial artist. My true aim is to have enough combat (grappling) skills to dominate any same-sized hostile man who's out to harm me or a loved one, without having to resort to a weapon. And to me, self-defense does mean using lethal force when called for. So if he puts me in a position where I have to smash him to cripple-dom in order to get out of that ordeal, I don't mind doing it. Wrestling or judo be damned. I just wanna outmuscle any opponents without looking like I have a neurological impairment doing so.

Based on all of that, which do you think is the better choice for me? The bias that I have for judo here is that it's the official martial art of the Japanese metropolitan police force, while my bias for the wrestling instructor is that it might give me a good base for possible MMA bouts should I decide to take it to that level.

Thank you.
It didn't matter so pick the one you like or the one that interests you more. The deciding factor for me was that kung fu has a wide range of weapons. It you like wrappings then it's not going to be wrestling

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one you treat more seriously and work harder at will probably serve you best. To that end, visit the schools and decide which teaching method (and learning environment) is likely to suit you best, keep you coming back, etc.

If they're otherwise pretty comparable for you, go with the one that's most convenient. Having fewer excuses for those days you just really don't feel like making it to class can make a huge difference.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have to understand that martial arts are as good as what the student wants to put in to it.

Exept for wrestling. Wrestling is just better.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To wrestle on the ski slope in the winter require different skill than to wrestle on the sand beach in the summer.

A Judo guy may lose in a wrestling tournament. A wrestler may lose in a Judo tournament.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To wrestle on the ski slope in the winter require different skill than to wrestle on the sand beach in the summer.

A Judo guy may lose in a wrestling tournament. A wrestler may lose in a Judo tournament.
I like to wrestle in the pool, so the person who looses balances gets dunked :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In wrestling you can judo throw. In judo you can't double leg.

I expect the two biggest obstacles for the wrestler woud be not getting DQ'd and dealing with defending grips on the gi. But they'd have a much better chance in a Judo tournament than a Judo player would in a wrestling tournament.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
The advantage of judo would be that you'll learn submissions, which are probably important in a self defence context
BJJ would most likely give you an all round approach if there's a place near you (wrestling and judo takedowns with a lot of control and submission options)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The advantage of judo would be that you'll learn submissions, which are probably important in a self defence context
BJJ would most likely give you an all round approach if there's a place near you (wrestling and judo takedowns with a lot of control and submission options)

If you like punching though. Pins are generally OK.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Here's the thing...

Thank you.

Frankly, Bjj would give you the best of both worlds since it’s essentially wrestling and Judo combined. Also the Bjj community is healthier than the Judo community in the states (if that’s where you are).

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Which one?? Depends on your innate skills - flexibility, strength and preferences. And I always taught that "will" is more important than "skill"; but together they present an awesome advantage. It's important that you like the atmosphere (ambiance), teacher and focus of the techniques. It will be a very personal choice rather than one size fits everyone.

Latest Discussions