Yasuke - Was He Both The First Foreign Samurai and Sumo Wrestler?

Jaz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I did a lot of research on Yasuke, the African man who some argue was the first non-Japanese samurai. I also make the argument that he could be the first foreign sumo wrestler. I'd be grateful for your views on the video, as well as any further information that you'd like to share.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I find interesting is how some westerners who have racist notions towards Africans view the story. In Japan, Yasuke is something of a folk hero/legend.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What I find interesting is how some westerners who have racist notions towards Africans view the story. In Japan, Yasuke is something of a folk hero/legend.
When I had first heard of Yasuke, what I heard wasn't based on fact. Many people I grew up with subscribe to Afrocentrism, so they'll post memes about Dr. Sebi curing AIDS and all that. So the first time I had heard of Yasuke, the claim was that he was the first samurai, period.

To be frank, though, if anyone is spreading Yasuke memes, true ones or not, but can't tell me about the armored cavalries of the Sokoto Caliphate, donzos, or Mossi raiders, then they're not as pro... ah, this is probably the wrong forum for this type of discussion.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I had first heard of Yasuke, what I heard wasn't based on fact. Many people I grew up with subscribe to Afrocentrism, so they'll post memes about Dr. Sebi curing AIDS and all that. So the first time I had heard of Yasuke, the claim was that he was the first samurai, period.

To be frank, though, if anyone is spreading Yasuke memes, true ones or not, but can't tell me about the armored cavalries of the Sokoto Caliphate, donzos, or Mossi raiders, then they're not as pro... ah, this is probably the wrong forum for this type of discussion.
If they're spreading yasuke memes, it probably just means that they watched the netflix series.

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I did a lot of research on Yasuke, the African man who some argue was the first non-Japanese samurai. I also make the argument that he could be the first foreign sumo wrestler. I'd be grateful for your views on the video, as well as any further information that you'd like to share.

Who knows? There is known history and then there is unknown history. It would be hard to imagine that the first non-Japanese samurai would be after 600 years from when they were first formed. In my readings about Yasuke, I didn't encounter anything that tied him to sumo wrestling, but that could be newer news as well.
Interesting fact: In 16th century Japan (not sure how far back this practice dates), Buddha dolls were painted black. When Yasuke first set foot in Japan, standing out above everyone else, many people believed he was either Buddha, sent by him, a deity, or just genuinely fascinated by his dark color and height. Funny thing in contrast to today's Asian (eastern and southern) cultures which tend to be very anti-dark skin.

Latest Discussions